Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Feb 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #541 of 2,205
Quote:

The AD2000 is a great headphone, full of air and detail, yet very fast, a near perfect rock headphone. It does lack bass quantity, however, and that is where the AD900x comes in. If I can get around to saving some funds, I wouldn't mind trying out the AD2000x, even though at least one user of the AKG K702 65th anniversary edition, which I also have, have claimed that the two headphones are to close in SQ to keep both, he sold his AD2000x. 
I'll add that I have been listening to my AD900x much more than the K702 anni's.

And yes, I am selling my AD2000's in the for sale section, as you can see from below. 

I assume your referring to me about selling the AD2000X.  I never sold them, I had them for sale but actually just withdrew the sale.  I just can't bring myself to sell them right now.  I realized I made a rather amateur mistake when listening to them. I remember reading awhile back on a W3000ANV thread about how users needed to furiously bend the headband to their head to get a proper seal.  Well, it seems the same applies to the AD2000X, at least for my head.  

I did some more aggressive bending and then probably 90% of my original complaints went away and I suddenly "got it",  the "magic" of the AT mids so to speak.  Before I found them very fatiguing and congested and I was just very underwhelmed overall.  Now they fully meet my original expectations and I really don't want to sell them.  But I also love my K702 65th equally as much, just different flavor, I still find the K702 65th more neutral, natural, and well balanced and with greater bass quantity and possibly quality, though the AD2000X bass is subjectively "faster" to me.  I'd still say they're both in the same class but the satisfying enough and unique enough for me to keep both.

Only reason I wanted to sell anyways was I wanted to try an HD-800.  Now I'm trying to work with the seller to see if he'll let me split it in 2 payments.  If so, I'll have all three to compare by late March.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #542 of 2,205
@Carlsan: Could you take some pics of the AD900x's drivers? I would like to see if there's any resemblance to the AD900 drivers.

@JWahl: Could you do the same, but to your AD2000x drivers?

The reason why I ask this is because I just want to finalize if the difference between the AD and the ADx series is only cosmetic, or if there's a variation in the drivers they're using. I have three AD900 drivers laying around, and one AD2000 driver (the other one is being serviced), and the difference between these two driver types are pretty noticeable (check this thread for more info). Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #543 of 2,205
Quote:
I assume your referring to me about selling the AD2000X.  I never sold them, I had them for sale but actually just withdrew the sale.  I just can't bring myself to sell them right now.  I realized I made a rather amateur mistake when listening to them. I remember reading awhile back on a W3000ANV thread about how users needed to furiously bend the headband to their head to get a proper seal.  Well, it seems the same applies to the AD2000X, at least for my head.  

I did some more aggressive bending and then probably 90% of my original complaints went away and I suddenly "got it",  the "magic" of the AT mids so to speak.  Before I found them very fatiguing and congested and I was just very underwhelmed overall.  Now they fully meet my original expectations and I really don't want to sell them.  But I also love my K702 65th equally as much, just different flavor, I still find the K702 65th more neutral, natural, and well balanced and with greater bass quantity and possibly quality, though the AD2000X bass is subjectively "faster" to me.  I'd still say they're both in the same class but the satisfying enough and unique enough for me to keep both.

Only reason I wanted to sell anyways was I wanted to try an HD-800.  Now I'm trying to work with the seller to see if he'll let me split it in 2 payments.  If so, I'll have all three to compare by late March.

I did that many times..  ha ha ha 

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #544 of 2,205
Quote:

Glad to hear, now I have to save my money for the 2000x.

I have the HD-800, that is one magical headphone. But I don't bring it out as much as one would expect. Some phones just have a certain fun factor that even super expensive headphones don't capture.  That is one reason why I really like the ad900X

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #545 of 2,205
Quote:
I have the HD-800, that is one magical headphone. But I don't bring it out as much as one would expect. Some phones just have a certain fun factor that even super expensive headphones don't capture.  That is one reason why I really like the ad900X

I will admit that I have been caught drooling at your headphone inventory more than once. So it makes me very happy to see the above type of  ad900x sentiment considering that it is the highest audiophile headphone that I have (and,I really don't feel like being convinced that I need anything else - at least for a while!).
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #546 of 2,205
this is a helluva thread!! Awesome! Thanks to everyone.

So....

A900x or AD900x for another 100AUD?

I've never owned open headphones and this'll be my
1st foray into hi quality headphones.

At this point I don't own a dedicated headphone amp, although,
I've got plans to make a meridian explorer mine in the near future.

Anyone got anything they'd add to help my decision along?

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #548 of 2,205
Quote:
this is a helluva thread!! Awesome! Thanks to everyone.

So....

A900x or AD900x for another 100AUD?

I've never owned open headphones and this'll be my
1st foray into hi quality headphones.

At this point I don't own a dedicated headphone amp, although,
I've got plans to make a meridian explorer mine in the near future.

Anyone got anything they'd add to help my decision along?

If you are paying in AUD, are you in Sydney? You could go to the Audio Technica lounge in Sydney Westfield to compare both. I was there the other day, they do not have an AD900X demo unit but could bring one down on request. (Might need to email them, I spoke to a nice chap named Matt).
-----

EDIT: Welp, just ordered some AD900X's from Amazon.co.jp. Will be excited to compare them against the MA900 :3

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #550 of 2,205
Quote:
Thanks a_recording,

not in Sydney, living in little old Radelaide!
Did you use tenso to freight them from japan?
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them?

Yeah it will be tenso forwarding. I don't know what the Tenso price will be... I just got the Amazon.jp price! I think approx 150 for the AD900X and 180 for the XBA-40.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #551 of 2,205
So I am still considering on buying some new headphones. Currently I have a pair of HD555s. I have been looking at the HD598s and the Q701s and now the AD900x. I don't know which one to get. They all seem good.

What I listen to-
Mainly Female Artist.
Alternative, Rock, Pop, Ambient, Electronica, Dub/Chillstep, Industrial, Metal and Anime Soundtracks.
I do game, so that would factor in but honestly it doesn't matter what I am using to game with I still do just as good.

What I don't listen to-
Rap, Hip Hop, Country and classical.

I don't need a lot of bass but I would like it to be well defined. I like my vocals to be nice a clear.

Would the AD900X's be a good buy? I will be purchasing an amp as well.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #552 of 2,205
Quote:
So I am still considering on buying some new headphones. Currently I have a pair of HD555s. I have been looking at the HD598s and the Q701s and now the AD900x. I don't know which one to get. They all seem good.

What I listen to-
Mainly Female Artist.
Alternative, Rock, Pop, Ambient, Electronica, Dub/Chillstep, Industrial, Metal and Anime Soundtracks.
I do game, so that would factor in but honestly it doesn't matter what I am using to game with I still do just as good.

What I don't listen to-
Rap, Hip Hop, Country and classical.

I don't need a lot of bass but I would like it to be well defined. I like my vocals to be nice a clear.

Would the AD900X's be a good buy? I will be purchasing an amp as well.

from what I've seen ad900x probably it since the other two are bass light

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #553 of 2,205
Quote:

If you are paying in AUD, are you in Sydney? You could go to the Audio Technica lounge in Sydney Westfield to compare both. I was there the other day, they do not have an AD900X demo unit but could bring one down on request. (Might need to email them, I spoke to a nice chap named Matt).
-----

EDIT: Welp, just ordered some AD900X's from Amazon.co.jp. Will be excited to compare them against the MA900 :3

I think that should be an interesting comparison. I have been wondering how the AD900x would compare to the MA900.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #554 of 2,205
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a_recording,

not in Sydney, living in little old Radelaide!
Did you use tenso to freight them from japan?
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for them?

Yeah it will be tenso forwarding. I don't know what the Tenso price will be... I just got the Amazon.jp price! I think approx 150 for the AD900X and 180 for the XBA-40.

Tenso charged me $32 when I ordered at the end of December, I imagine it hasn't changed much since then :]

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #555 of 2,205
Wow! on Amazon japan, the A900X is just a bit pricier than the AD900X! 130 Yen more.

Weird...now the decision is made even trickier...

May I ask, how did you translate the pages so
you know what you're doing?

Thanks again.
Mark

EDIT: sorted out translation issues. Opened Tenso account too. Very easy to do. It'd nice how they make
parting with MY money so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back