Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #332 of 2,205
Quote:
How's availability of these headphones in the US and how do you think it will be in a few months, say in July? Reason I'm asking is because I'm going to the US the month in question and I'd love to test listen them and maybe even end up buying a pair to accompany me home.

Hi Simcon,

I've just noticed that AudioCubes has the AD2000X listed for $855.99 on their website. In fact, they seem to have most, if not all, of the ATH-AD****X series of headphones newly made available there as well. AudioCubes has a retail store located in New York City at 69 E. 8th Street, but I'm not sure if you will be visiting anywhere near this particular area of the country. I'm also not sure if AudioCubes will actually have any of these new Air Headphones on display (or available for purchase) at this retail store. Head-Fi member as.we.proceed, in post #295 of this thread, stated that there would be "Availability (April 2013)", but I do not know his source of information on this, or exactly which models of the Air Headphone series would be made available by that particular date.

As a note of more general interest to the members of this board is what AudioCubes had to say about the AD2000X on their website:

Features

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Audio-Technica's new 2013 ATH-AD2000X Air Dynamic headphones features a large 53mm aperture driver made with high purity bobbin winding OFC-7N voice coil for high quality sound reproduction with deep balanced bass. What makes this different than the original AD2000's is the doubled maximum input at 2,000 mW and an input code structure (4-wire) ground wire independent left and right out with an emphasis on both the left and right sound quality. (Emphasis added) With unique self-adjusting bearing armband (world's first) with newly developed 3D "wing support" which allows comfortable and enjoyable listening experience. Designed with light weight aluminum honeycomb casing with a total comfort around your ears.[/size][/size]

Specifications

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Type: Open-Air Dynamic
Driver Unit: 53mm, OFC-7N bobbin winding voice coil
Magnet: Neodymium
Frequency response: 5 - 45,000Hz
Impedance: 40 ohms
Max. Input Power: 2000mW
Output overpressure value: 103dB/mW (JEITA)
Plug: Fri-plated stereo / [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]φ[/size][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]f3.5mm standard mini [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]φ[/size][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]f6.3mm 2 Way
Cord length: Elastomer/OFC-6N+OFC/3.0m
Net weight (without cord): 265g[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]For comparison, this is what AudioCubes had to say about the older AD2000:[/size][/size]

Features

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Audio-Technica's new 2004 ATH-AD2000 Air Dynamic headphones features a large 53mm aperture driver made with high purity bobbin winding OFC-7N voice coil for high quality sound reproduction with deep balanced bass. With unique self-adjusting bearing armband (world's first) with newly developed 3D "wing support" which allows comfortable and enjoyable listening experience. Designed with light weight aluminum honeycomb casing with a total comfort around your ears.[/size][/size]

Specifications

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Type: Open-Air Dynamic
Driver Unit: 53mm, OFC-7N bobbin winding voice coil
Magnet: Neodymium
Frequency response: 5 - 45,000Hz
Impedance: 40 ohms
Max. Input Power: 1000mW
Output overpressure value: 102dB/mW (JEITA)
Plug: Mini/Standard Gold plated 2 Way
Cord length: Elastomer/OFC-6N+OFC/3.0m
Net weight (without cord): 250g[/size][/size]

Accessories

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Detachable phone plug[/size][/size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #333 of 2,205
Nothing really new with the AD2000X regarding separate left and right grounding since the AD2000 already have dual sided wiring to the headphones. It is the AD1000X that went to a single sided to dual sided wiring.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #334 of 2,205
Quote:
Well, given as much as I've seen complaints about the too-flat pads and a touch of light bass with the Ad2000, The AD2000x could be a decent upgrade in any of those things bother you.  I've never heard the original either to compare.  However, I've long been tempted to get the AD2000 based on the descriptions of their midrange and very "fast" sound.  Though I've been hesitant about the overly flat pads and maybe poor bass extension (though that could cause the perceived speed).  The seemingly thicker pads and possible slight bass increase is what pushed me over the edge to want to buy it now.

I'm just hoping they don't lose the perceived speed in the AD2000x, that is one of my more desirable traits in a headphone.

What's really odd with the Ad2000 is that when I first got them they hurt so much to wear that I tried phat pad mods, though I hated the sound. I decided to wear them normally and just deal with the pain and eventually something happened to where either my ears don't touch the drivers anymore or I don't notice it. I never found the Ad2000 bass light though.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #335 of 2,205
I've just noticed that AudioCubes has the AD2000X listed for $855.99 on their website. In fact, they seem to have most, if not all, of the ATH-AD****X series of headphones newly made available there as well. AudioCubes has a retail store located in New York City at 69 E. 8th Street, but I'm not sure if you will be visiting anywhere near this particular area of the country. I'm also not sure if AudioCubes will actually have any of these new Air Headphones on display (or available for purchase) at this retail store.

FYI, from what I've read, AudioCubes claims the items available at their store, AC Gears, is listed on www.acgears.com. A quick search shows they're not (yet?) available there, but it might be worth checking up as time goes on.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #337 of 2,205
Quote:
Can you compare AD900X and A900X ?
Also, which one has more upfront midrange ?

Both have excellent mids but the A900X being the closed can has the bigger bass. More bass means less mids and while I think the balance is right on the A900X. The AD900X has the plus factor. I do believe the SQ is another notch above the A900X. A higher end sound. The air the stage the imagery in the AD900X is fantastic. Something the A900X is a step behind on and the fact that it is a closed can simply cannot match. I have no doubts in my mind if you was to try a AD900X you will be happy with how they perform. If you wait a bit more guys will chime in with just how great they are. I own the HD595 and I have to tell you I prefer my AD900X. It simply does everything better.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #338 of 2,205
Quote:
Can you compare AD900X and A900X ?
Also, which one has more upfront midrange ?

I don't hear the difference that Dsnuts claims between the two headphones. I've been borrowing the AD900X now for the past week or so and I'm not sure what Dsnuts means by "a higher end sound" but I don't get that impression. I already own the A900X and was thinking about buying a AD900X but the differences to me seem minor. I certainly don't think the AD900X has SQ a step above the the A900X. I've only spent maybe 20 hours on the AD900X as opposed to the hundreds I've spent on A900X, but to me the difference is basically "closed vs open". 

I've tried both headphones through the Fiio E17 as well as the Magni/Modi with Foobar2k + WASAPI. I've listened to CD quality FLAC (16/44.1) as well as 24/96 vinyl rips (also FLAC) and tested both headphones with several music genre's and movies through VLC. Both headphones sound great to me, the A900X is one of my favorite headphones after all. I don't hear a step up in sound quality from the AD900X, rather it sounds just as good with different characteristics. Being that the AD900X is an open headphone it has a wider sound stage then the A900X, instrument separation is superior here. I prefer the AD900X for classical music, acoustics, and some vocal songs. The mids and highs sound of similar quality on both cans, but again the AD900X is open so they sound a bit more airy. The A900X definitely has superior bass performance and to my ears sounds better with hip hop, electronic, dub, and some bass heavy vocals.Even though the AD900X has that airy sound, it evens out between the two cans because the A900X provides excellent mids, highs and sound stage for a closed headphone. To me the difference is closed vs open, closed will usually give you a better low end, where as open tends to give a wider sound stage and a more "airy" sound, it comes down to preference and what the source material is that you are listening too. The AD900X and A900X also both perform very well with movies, big sound stage is fantastic for movies, you get a bit less sound stage with the A900X but also get the better low end.

Both the A900X and AD900X are amazing headphones. With the AD900X you get a fantastic open can with some low end presence that is solid for an open style (especially for Audio Technica). With the A900X you get a great all around headphone, with tight bass performance and a nice sound stage for a closed style headphone. You really can't go wrong with either of them, for me it just comes down to, "do you prefer an open or closed design?".

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #339 of 2,205
I agree with you here, maybe because I was more used to my A900X that extra stage and air on the AD900X really sets it off for me. Not to mention the imagery and detail I think is a step above the A900X. You mention the differences but for me the differences makes the AD900X a higher end sounding can for me..I love my A900X don't get me wrong but the added sound characteristics on the AD900X just does it for me..That stage when you hear it just puts a smile on your face.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #340 of 2,205
Quote:
I agree with you here, maybe because I was more used to my A900X that extra stage and air on the AD900X really sets it off for me. Not to mention the imagery and detail I think is a step above the A900X. You mention the differences but for me the differences makes the AD900X a higher end sounding can for me..I love my A900X don't get me wrong but the added sound characteristics on the AD900X just does it for me..That stage when you hear it just puts a smile on your face.

This makes sense, like I said it really comes down to preference in the sound and what characteristics you most look for/what you listen to. Some people swear by open cans because you get that nice big sound stage and airy sound. I tend to prefer closed cans but I have a preference towards a warm sound with some bass emphasis. I also don't have a dedicated quiet area to listen to open headphones without having external sounds interfere with me. I love the sound characteristics of both of these headphones, I think they are both top notch.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #341 of 2,205
Agreed. That is why I own both..I was not hesitant to get the AD900X because I owned the A900X..I also love my closed cans will not ever sell my D2000 but the AD900X has really impressed me with what a proper open can does for sound..

Oh and I forgot to mention. You have to admit the comfort level on the AD900X is a step above the A900X. I know some guys was complaining on the A900X thread about the pads being stiff. I personally have no issues with them but the AD900X with them cloth covered pads are simply perfection for comfort. I truly doubt a single soul will complain about the comfort level on the AD900X.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #343 of 2,205
Heya guys. For any of you who think that the AD series is lacking in bass, then think again. I've found a way to make my AD900s have as much bass as the Pro700MKII (actually, it's a bit more) while preserving the qualities of what makes the AD series. Just check the sig for more details. 

Thanks for the impressions, Mani ATH 87. I was thinking about getting the AD900x and doing my same mod to them to bring the bass out, but it seems like it would be more of a side-grade than an upgrade from my AD900s.

The main reason why I think the AD900x has more bass than its predecessor is because of the earpads and the clamping force. Maybe someone can confirm this: Does the AD900x have more clamping force and thicker earpads than the AD900s? Those two things are the main reasons why the AD series lack bass compared to their closed counterparts. You fix that, and you've basically combined the bass from closed headphones and the soundstage and airyness of open headphones.

It also makes me think that maybe the reason why so many open headphones lack bass compared to closed headphones is because of those two factors. A basshead HD800 would be the end all headphone for me. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #344 of 2,205
Quote:

Hi Simcon,

I've just noticed that AudioCubes has the AD2000X listed for $855.99 on their website. In fact, they seem to have most, if not all, of the ATH-AD****X series of headphones newly made available there as well. AudioCubes has a retail store located in New York City at 69 E. 8th Street, but I'm not sure if you will be visiting anywhere near this particular area of the country. I'm also not sure if AudioCubes will actually have any of these new Air Headphones on display (or available for purchase) at this retail store. Head-Fi member as.we.proceed, in post #295 of this thread, stated that there would be "Availability (April 2013)", but I do not know his source of information on this, or exactly which models of the Air Headphone series would be made available by that particular date.

Silly me not to write more precisely where I'm going to travel, but it just so happens to be to NY I'm going :wink:. Guess I'll see how it develops once we get closer to April if they start to be available :).

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #345 of 2,205
Quote:

Head-Fi member as.we.proceed, in post #295 of this thread, stated that there would be "Availability (April 2013)", but I do not know his source of information on this, or exactly which models of the Air Headphone series would be made available by that particular date.  

I got the date from ecoustics.

The 900x is currently going for $192 on amazon japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back