Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #286 of 2,205
I just started listening to my AD900X's through foobar + WASAPI and I just have to say that I'm absolutely blown away right now. I had been using mediamonkey earlier but finally decided to use foobar for my primary music player. At the moment, my chain is

320kbps/FLAC -> foobar+wasapi -> Traktor Audio 2 (Cirrus Logic) -> ATH-AD900X

Listening to FLAC versions of the Les Mis (2012) soundtrack, Circa Survive's Blue Sky Noise, and ATB's Sunset Beach DJ Session 2 has been wonderful. These cans truly shine with every genre, rock and its various subgenres, especially. The bass is, as dsnuts has already posted, very well balanced against the rest of the spectrum, on top of being present. I've lost count of how many hours I've put into them so far, but they're growing on me more and more. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #288 of 2,205
Quote:
I just started listening to my AD900X's through foobar + WASAPI and I just have to say that I'm absolutely blown away right now. I had been using mediamonkey earlier but finally decided to use foobar for my primary music player. At the moment, my chain is

320kbps/FLAC -> foobar+wasapi -> Traktor Audio 2 (Cirrus Logic) -> ATH-AD900X

Listening to FLAC versions of the Les Mis (2012) soundtrack, Circa Survive's Blue Sky Noise, and ATB's Sunset Beach DJ Session 2 has been wonderful. These cans truly shine with every genre, rock and its various subgenres, especially. The bass is, as dsnuts has already posted, very well balanced against the rest of the spectrum, on top of being present. I've lost count of how many hours I've put into them so far, but they're growing on me more and more. 

Ya this is my experience with them as well. I am curious to know just how these stack up to their higher end brothers. Seriously I am having a hard time trying to find a weakness to their sound..

-Very easy to drive
-Marvelous Stage, expansive
-Detailed yet very controlled
-Balanced to a -T-
-Grunt when called for, I think even Grado guys would be impressed.
-Bass when called for
-Vocals will give you goose bumps
-Physically light and non fatiguing in any way or form
-Extremely comfortable
-With the right source projects a very 3D sound.
-Not overly forward or recessed in any part of the sound
-Plays all my tacks stunningly
-Because of their detailed sound and stage. I am willing to bet will be one of the best cans for gaming possible. Will try them out with some soon.

Seriously for what I payed for? Lol. Does it get any better? I feel I hit the headphone jackpot lotto with these.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #289 of 2,205
I've been doing some gaming on my PS3 through a DSS2 and it's been pretty nice. Haven't A/B'd with my AD700s to compare, might try to do that later. The games I have at the moment aren't the best for positional accuracy, though. So far, I've played DMC4, The Walking Dead, Tokyo Jungle, and Vanquish with the new cans. The increased bass in games as opposed to the AD700's is great.

I, too, am wondering how their bigger brothers sound. Not that I'm particularly itching to find out, though. My upgradeitis is definitely satisfied for a while. Only planning on maybe buying an E17 in the future.

By the way, I keep planning on doing various things, but end up putting them off to listen to just one more song then another and another. These cans are addicting.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #290 of 2,205
Quote:
Ya this is my experience with them as well. I am curious to know just how these stack up to their higher end brothers. Seriously I am having a hard time trying to find a weakness to their sound..

-Very easy to drive
-Marvelous Stage, expansive
-Detailed yet very controlled
-Balanced to a -T-
-Grunt when called for, I think even Grado guys would be impressed.
-Bass when called for
-Vocals will give you goose bumps
-Physically light and non fatiguing in any way or form
-Extremely comfortable
-With the right source projects a very 3D sound.
-Not overly forward or recessed in any part of the sound
-Plays all my tacks stunningly
-Because of their detailed sound and stage. I am willing to bet will be one of the best cans for gaming possible. Will try them out with some soon.

Seriously for what I payed for? Lol. Does it get any better? I feel I hit the headphone jackpot lotto with these.

This makes me really want to grab a pair lol

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #292 of 2,205
No clue when they will hit the states, but they are already posted in Audio Technica's English website. Damn, I forgot about a return policy, worst comes to worst I might be able to resell them for what I paid for since I paid around $235 total including shipping

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #296 of 2,205
Dsnuts, Very neat summery of the AD900x you've manged to pull-out, However hardly very informative w/o a reference comparison with a similiar open-back model, and i don't see anything intersting that worthy from the listi on your profile, No offence of course. :)

Anyway, I've just ordered me a pair direct from Japan (Tenso.com address is a serious mess to figure out!) and i'll do a proper A/B with the Sony MDR-MA900, Sould be intersting to hear how improved is this next-gen AD model, as i currently consider the MA900 as an already improved AD900, posseing many of thier traits with some improvemetns.

EDIT: It seems that Tenso provides only the shipping address so amazon.jp refuses to process my order via my CC, looks like i'll have to cancel it and wait for them to show up outside of Japan at comparable prices. I'll have it eventually later this year. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #298 of 2,205
Does the new ad900x have an even wider soundstage than the previous model? I am going to use it with a creative soundblaster z
for gaming and music. I did not have the original model but heard of its giant soundstage but have been considering between this and a sennhiser hd598. Oh, and does amping do anything significant to the sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back