Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Dec 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #196 of 2,205
Quote:

Could you take some close pics of the AD900x so we can see the drivers, the pads, the angled-ness, etc?

All I have to look at is tiny pictures from japanese websites - and it's hard to see anything.

popcorn.gif

Bump ^

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #198 of 2,205
Thanks for all the great info you've been sharing in this thread, Dsnuts! Decided to bite the bullet and just ordered my own pair of AD900X :] Quick questions:

1. How is the build quality on them? Are they made of magnesium like the AD900?
  2. How's the clamping force and how well have they been staying on your head with moderate movement, particularly looking up or down?
  3. Have you been listening to your AD900X with or without DAC/amp? 

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #200 of 2,205
Build quality is excellent. I also noticed these have a bit more clamp than my other ATs. Which was a complaint that I am sure AT was aware of. I have a medium sized head and these fit with the right amount of clamp and no discomfort what so ever. I can quickly look around and they stay in place.

Now these having them light grills on the outside of the cup I find myself being more careful handling these as I don't want to bend or nick up the cups in any way. But for the most part they have a solid build quality and as long as your not throwing them around I think they will last a long while

I am listening to them on my Sony Z1060. Sounds great but I have it on max volume. It is loud enough for me but with a little amp like a E11 it will really throw out the sound.

I have sevral Dac amps I use but my favorite I am using right now is an unknown DAC/AMP called a Fire Phoenix 02. Made in China special. It uses the Cirrus Logic CS4398 Chip and out put I recently installed a dual op amp LT1028 I ordered from ebay to match with it. Here is a pic. actually.

This little combo didn't set me back too much but this unit makes my AD900X sing..

This is the first time I have tried listening to my Dap. This sounds great out of my Sony Z1060. I should have tried this a while ago. Lol.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #201 of 2,205
Could the AD900X be the AKG x70x killer 
eek.gif
, then I'll be interested 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #202 of 2,205
Dec 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #203 of 2,205
Quote:

An AT sounding like an AKG ? 
confused.gif

Sounding like an AKG but without sounding as dead. 
tongue.gif

I went to another member's house who's my classmate and he has a pair of Q701's. Being one of the first proper headphones I've ever heard (because my parents don't believe in dishing out a lot of money for high end audio), it blew me away but it did sound very dead, or at least made whatever was being played through it sound very boring or dull. I can't really find a way to describe it. Simply put, no coloration made it a bit of a boring headphone to listen to. Sounded rather cold though so I always felt like I was listening through headphones instead of being transported into another place. 
smile.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #204 of 2,205
My AD2000X just arrived yesterday..  Out of box impression was not that great as to me always..  I'm doing the burn-in as listening to it between whiles.. with little bit less than 30 hrs burn in, it is definitely getting a better sound.. I can see the same magic with its predecessor, AD2000, charming mids and engaging sound.  My wife preferred the AD2000X in comparisons to the JVC HP-DX1000, although I appreciate both of them equally so far.  I see they have completely different sound characteristics but AD2000X does it again with the AT magic.. awesome!

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #206 of 2,205
Quote:
My AD2000X just arrived yesterday..  Out of box impression was not that great as to me always..  I'm doing the burn-in as listening to it between whiles.. with little bit less than 30 hrs burn in, it is definitely getting a better sound.. I can see the same magic with its predecessor, AD2000, charming mids and engaging sound.  My wife preferred the AD2000X in comparisons to the JVC HP-DX1000, although I appreciate both of them equally so far.  I see they have completely different sound characteristics but AD2000X does it again with the AT magic.. awesome!

Hum AD2000X is at least better than DX1000 according to you and your wife 
tongue.gif
, and seams that it has the same magic mids as AD2000 , pitty that you only have auditionned brifely the AD2000 ^^ , will have to wait for ZenErik comparison or some one else .

Well the important thing is that AD2000X seams a great headphone .

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #207 of 2,205
Quote:
Hum AD2000X is at least better than DX1000 according to you and your wife 
tongue.gif
, and seams that it has the same magic mids as AD2000 , pitty that you only have auditionned brifely the AD2000 ^^ , will have to wait for ZenErik comparison or some one else .

Well the important thing is that AD2000X seams a great headphone .

Like you mentioned, my only regret is that I didn't have chance to experience the AD2000 enough, so in that regards I'm not too helpful.  One thing that I can tell you for sure is to my liking, AD2000X bass has enough amount of bass, not lacking or overdone at the same time.  It does pretty deep without over pronouncing it.

BTW, my wife prefers the AD2000X, not me.  I equally like them so far.  Will see what I decide to sell in the future or I might keep them all. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #208 of 2,205
I'm in the US and need a new pair of headphones one of these days, and I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for the AD900X or not. (Yes, yes, I know. The right answer is "Buy something now and buy these when they reach the states.")

I figured I'd check on the eternal question for the nearsighted - anyone who's gotten 'em yet have glasses? And if so, are they comfy? (If not, can you borrow glasses from your friends and check? Just kidding
frown.gif
)

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #209 of 2,205
Quote:
I'm in the US and need a new pair of headphones one of these days, and I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for the AD900X or not. (Yes, yes, I know. The right answer is "Buy something now and buy these when they reach the states.")

I figured I'd check on the eternal question for the nearsighted - anyone who's gotten 'em yet have glasses? And if so, are they comfy? (If not, can you borrow glasses from your friends and check? Just kidding
frown.gif
)

The method a user applied to get the AD900x earlier in this thread was pretty informative, perhaps that person would know.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #210 of 2,205
I am interested in build quality of ad900x.
they seemed to have switched the connector to plastic from metal one. whhhhhy.
Is the chassis still magnesium like ad900? I can't tell from the pictures.
Not worth the buy if it's made of plastic imo. Just get ad900.
also, how's the cable quality. I always wished ad900 had rubber like ad700 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back