Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #183 of 2,205
Quote:
They are angled with that sexy all black honeycomb grills with a circular chrome piece that highlight the drivers in the inside. Uses a soft cloth material for the pads instead of itchy velours. The sound, the stage, the looks. the comfort, It has all of it.

Could you take some close pics of the AD900x so we can see the drivers, the pads, the angled-ness, etc?

All I have to look at is tiny pictures from japanese websites - and it's hard to see anything there.

popcorn.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #184 of 2,205
Dec 23, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #185 of 2,205
Quote:
Nice triple post!
Where did you order it from?

Ordered from a friend. No idea where they ordered from. But I am paying $725 including EMS shipping.

Which also includes: Radirgy Noa (Wii), ESPgaluda 2 (360), tons of Kit Kats, and other random goodies. So I think the deal is pretty good. Take away the games, and I am paying about $675. Seems good. Though I won't be surprised if there is somewhere cheaper to get it.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #187 of 2,205
Amazon Japan and an forwarding service such as tenso brings it to around $675 so probably not too far off.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #189 of 2,205
Yea. Apparently Amazon Japan is currently about 663 USD before shipping. No idea how much forwarding services charge.. But probably more than $12?

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #190 of 2,205
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #191 of 2,205
Yea. Apparently Amazon Japan is currently about 663 USD before shipping. No idea how much forwarding services charge.. But probably more than $12?

I used it once but for a lighter item and it was 30 with ems and fees

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #192 of 2,205
im really not sure, but i think that the X series have a little more bass over its predecessors
dsnuts, what about the grain ad sibilance/highs in the ad900x? is it much better than the ad700? i am looking for a headphone with similar sound signature but with more body, bass and less grain and sibilance, ad900x seems to be a good choice based on your experiences

thanks

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #193 of 2,205
Quote:
im really not sure, but i think that the X series have a little more bass over its predecessors
dsnuts, what about the grain ad sibilance/highs in the ad900x? is it much better than the ad700? i am looking for a headphone with similar sound signature but with more body, bass and less grain and sibilance, ad900x seems to be a good choice based on your experiences

thanks

On a good source I have detected no sibilance what so ever. The highs have much control and is very detailed. Like I said I am having a hard time trying to find a fault in their sound..They are at the very edge of extension without harshness. No grain. No weird tonality or sibilance. So much control in the sound in all areas it has me wondering why I even bothered with my other cans. The bass end I had my fingers crossed. These aren't bass heavy by any means,  but what is there is pure class. Tight punchy very well defined in the lows when called for and reaches deep. I don't feel like the bass is lacking at all..Very excellent sound for the cost. Too much so.  These aren't just better than the AD700. They destroy them in every way. There is no comparison what so ever in levels of sound we are talking about here.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #194 of 2,205
No sibilance what so ever?

How different our hearing must be! I wish i had that sort of exprience. Lucky.

I have never heard a headphone that doesn't produce sibilance on mediocre recordings. Especially with female vocals. But some headphones certainly accentuate the sibilance more than others.

I'll try to do some comparisons between the AD2000 and AD2000X once the X arrives. And one of those headphones will quickly be on sale after that. I try not to keep more than one open and one closed full sized headphone. :wink:

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #195 of 2,205
Well bad recordings are bad recordings. You guys know what I mean. If it has sibilance in the recording these will reveal that as well but they don't travel that sharpness rout which I am very happy about. Synergy between source and the headphones helps much when your talking about a detailed sound that does it right.. These are a fine example of this..Doesn't take much to drive them but they certainly choose what source sounds best with them. Once you get that synergy happening. It is a sound that stays with you. Something you think about after you had an excellent session with them. Very enjoyable sound. I bet these will be perfect for gaming too even better than the AD700. Haven't tried yet but I will soon and report back.  Movie watching I have discovered my FXZ200 are the best movie phones by a land slide from anything else I own. Having real subs out back helps with the THX experience.

Look forward to your impressions of the AD2000X. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back