Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #153 of 2,205
Quote:
Aren't you gonna try the AD2000X......they may be even better than the 900X?

Actually I can't even imagine the sound level that is on the AD2000X to be honest. These AD900X just blows my mind how good they sound..But we are talking about a $675 can vs a $210 one currently on Amazon Japan.. I had to check out the AD900X. It is excellent.

The current ebay prices are a rip off as usual. I would get one using  Tenso. IT is even cheaper than when I bought mines. The price goes up and down according to the value of the dollar to yen but right now they are a bit less than $210 with shipping and handling you can add another $35 or so. That is highway robbery my friends for this sound.

The bass end is a bit over neutral balanced low end but has great texture and presence on more bass heavy genres. There is not a low note these can't hit which brought a huge smile to my face..The bass is tight and precise and does hit them very low notes.  Obviously the A900X has more bass as they are closed but for being an open can I am very happy with the bass end of the AD900X. Was one of my big concerns going into this buy...

In comparison the sound level is about 3 tiers above the AD700. Those have no bass to speak of. AT did a masterful job completing the open can sound..On the box it says they are using a brand new 53mm driver and I can believe that as the resolution in what I am hearing is easily reference level and again we are talking about a relatively cheap headphone. It seems AT has stepped up their game.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #154 of 2,205
Quote:
Actually I can't even imagine the sound level that is on the AD2000X to be honest. These AD900X just blows my mind how good they sound..But we are talking about a $675 can vs a $210 one currently on Amazon Japan.. I had to check out the AD900X. It is excellent.

The current ebay prices are a rip off as usual. I would get one using  Tenso. IT is even cheaper than when I bought mines. The price goes up and down according to the value of the dollar to yen but right now they are a bit less than $210 with shipping and handling you can add another $35 or so. That is highway robbery my friends for this sound.

The bass end is a bit over neutral balanced low end but has great texture and presence on more bass heavy genres. There is not a low note these can't hit which brought a huge smile to my face..The bass is tight and precise and does hit them very low notes.  Obviously the A900X has more bass as they are closed but for being an open can I am very happy with the bass end of the AD900X. Was one of my big concerns going into this buy...

In comparison the sound level is about 3 tiers above the AD700. Those have no bass to speak of. AT did a masterful job completing the open can sound..On the box it says they are using a brand new 53mm driver and I can believe that as the resolution in what I am hearing is easily reference level and again we are talking about a relatively cheap headphone. It seems AT has stepped up their game.

I was just curious......from what I have read, the X was just cosmetic, no new drivers etc, but don't quote me on that one.  I had the W1000X that I modded with AD2000 drivers and a new cable.....improved the sound quite a bit to my liking until I got the S500's, and then my wonderful W1000X with the AD2000 drivers and new cable went up for sale.  I don't need to spend $675 to find out what the AD2000X sounds, I think I have a good idea, but I do like the fact that they are open back.......I am just so overwhelmed with the S500/HM5 pad, DHC cable combo, that I am satisfied, my FXZ200 arives tommorrow, and I just wish that cable was replaceable.  I would really be open to a full size JVC CNT headphone, whatever the cost!

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #157 of 2,205
Quote:
Hi Dsnuts
Have you heard the ad900s? How much better are these? Are they worth the extra price in your opinion?
Cheers

Never had the AD900 but the recent 50 phone shoot out reviews got me interested in them again. I have read numerous reports of the anemic bass on them much like the AD700 so I stayed away. These on the other had have excellent bass for open cans..A very refined sound to my ears. The difference in the A900 to the A900X was in fact the bass end..Believe me when I say I would have been not too happy if the bass end was anything like the AD700. All detail and no bass just don't sit right with me. I think for the asking price using Tenso. This sound is un heard of for the cost imo. Well worth the purchase price and thensome.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #159 of 2,205
Quote:
I'm like inch away before I order AD2000X from Japan!!  I never own the AD2000 but when I had a chance to audition it briefly, that really WOW'd me among other cans..
It goes around $700 right now.  My friend is living in Japan, and he said he will forward it to me if I order!!  

Everything is setup, all I need to do is making my final decision..  

I did it!! I finally pulled the trigger.. my friend just shipped them out yesterday.. I can't wait till they arrive here!  And I'm pretty sure everyone here following this thread will be looking forward to the first impression..  I've never done/post a thorough review before.. but if you guys are willing to bear with my naive and non-technical opinion, I can definitely post some of it later on...

BTW, I also ordered JVC HP DX1000! -- will arrive here with AD2000X and will be able to do A/B comparison! 

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #162 of 2,205
Ordering the AD2000X very soon. $715 w/ EMS shipping, a few shmups (type of game), assorted kit kats, and other random crap included. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #163 of 2,205
Quote:
Ordering the AD2000X very soon. $715 w/ EMS shipping, a few shmups (type of game), assorted kit kats, and other random crap included. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Sweet, I wanna hear how they are!

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #164 of 2,205
Quote:
Here is something. My AD900X I have been burning in has the best balanced sound with astounding detail on every part of the spectrum.. Smoothness. airiness. Massive open stage and is one of the sexiest cans I have ever bought. And yes I am happy to report. These have bass. Apparently the X stands for bass.. These have a complete sound. Matched with my Fire Phoenix. This is the best can I have bought this year.. Actually truth be told these are my best sounding cans. For guys that was on the fence to get the new and improved version of the AD900. I can give my overwhelming thumbs up on the sound. You guys are gonna love how these sound. One bit of warning. These need burn in as the sound was compressed on open box. They open up tremendously.

I bought mine using Tenso and got it for $240 around $275 shipped..The sound is spectacular. Simply stunning sound for the cost.. These and my FXZ earphones are by far the best phones I have purchased this year..
In comparison.,These are a solid level above my A900X in SQ. The resolution for the price is unmatched in anything I have heard. The chrome accents in the inside of the grills are just sexy. They are so much better looking up front. No picture can do them justice.

You think the new Ad900x sound better than the A900x? That's awesome because I thought the A900x sounded fantastic! I may have to buy the Ad900x now...

Edit: Maybe I'll bite the bullet and just buy the Ad2000x to compare to the Ad2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back