Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2,131 of 2,205
I'm quite fine with that really, I have tons of bass in my Denon, and the Sony is my mainstay for movie and gaming (basically everyday use), they have a bit more bass quantity than both the K702 and AD700x, so if the AD1000x can give me even more enjoyment of mid-centric music (like, 80% of my music collection is a mix between female vocal and instrumental) I'd probably love it.
Yes, in that case you'll love it

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #2,132 of 2,205
Yes, in that case you'll love it
aye, thanks, the reason i bemoan the lack of bass in the AKG is not because of the quantity or anything, but that lack of emphasis, in addition to everything else the headphone has, makes it sounds so lifeless, like a muted recording is all im hearing from it, polite may be one way to describe it, but for me the K702 just sounds boring. Well anyway i do manage to swap it out, and not really at a loss either, so win win situation for ma :)

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #2,133 of 2,205
aye, thanks, the reason i bemoan the lack of bass in the AKG is not because of the quantity or anything, but that lack of emphasis, in addition to everything else the headphone has, makes it sounds so lifeless, like a muted recording is all im hearing from it, polite may be one way to describe it, but for me the K702 just sounds boring. Well anyway i do manage to swap it out, and not really at a loss either, so win win situation for ma :)
Yeah the AD1000x is very intimate and clear with the mids and treble, only the bass is very weak.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #2,134 of 2,205
Yeah the AD1000x is very intimate and clear with the mids and treble, only the bass is very weak.
If it’s like the Ad1000 I had then it would react quite well with bass boost. Anyway, the laid back nature means this pair is best with relaxing music only (YMMV)

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,135 of 2,205

I don't share this sentiment with my K712. It definitely has an over-emphasis on the treble and it's definitely NOT Studio grade sound as AKG markets it, but IMO has decent amount of bass and mids volume, but it definitely does go low.

Although among my headphones, I'd have to rate K712 as the best of them all, the soundstaging, the clear details, micro details and it's ability to go into the sub bass is not compared to my Audio Technica and Sennheisers. But overall i think I enjoy the sound my Audio Technica though.

One thing the K712 does in comparison to the AD900x is the treble. The Treble is so damn good on the K712 that when I hear the AD900x I realize AD900x treble sounds so congested, the separation on the K712 is magnificent. It makes all my other headphones sound meh.

Unfortunately for the K712, the tweeters on my JBL L20T3, the massive 035TI titanium tweeters are too good, speakers FTW. These tweeters still sell for $70 each, considering they are 30 years old, that's ridiculous. But I DEFINITELY can say the tweeters on these vintage blow away my L308 and my all my headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #2,136 of 2,205
i do lnow form a friend and a couple of reviewers i trust that the 712 is much better, and I believe them. It's just the 702 I own isn't enough for me for anything.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2,139 of 2,205
I don't share this sentiment with my K712. It definitely has an over-emphasis on the treble and it's definitely NOT Studio grade sound as AKG markets it, but IMO has decent amount of bass and mids volume, but it definitely does go low.

Although among my headphones, I'd have to rate K712 as the best of them all, the soundstaging, the clear details, micro details and it's ability to go into the sub bass is not compared to my Audio Technica and Sennheisers. But overall i think I enjoy the sound my Audio Technica though.

One thing the K712 does in comparison to the AD900x is the treble. The Treble is so damn good on the K712 that when I hear the AD900x I realize AD900x treble sounds so congested, the separation on the K712 is magnificent. It makes all my other headphones sound meh.

Unfortunately for the K712, the tweeters on my JBL L20T3, the massive 035TI titanium tweeters are too good, speakers FTW. These tweeters still sell for $70 each, considering they are 30 years old, that's ridiculous. But I DEFINITELY can say the tweeters on these vintage blow away my L308 and my all my headphones.
i do lnow form a friend and a couple of reviewers i trust that the 712 is much better, and I believe them. It's just the 702 I own isn't enough for me for anything.

The k712 isn’t quite like the k702. Both of them are different from all the open back ATH I’ve tried. The closest ATH has ever got to AKG in terms od sound sig was the r70x, even then, they still sound very different to me

May 26, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #2,140 of 2,205
Yeah, R70x is very different still, the R70x is more of ATvs attempt at HD600 competitor anyway, while the 712 can also be called something similar to that, all three aiming at neutral, while The R70x went down to the more warm path, 712 a bit brighter..... At least that's wha I hear about them, I do and have tried both the R70x and the HD600 (together with the 800S), but it was on a separate occassion, so can't really AB compare them then..

Back to Air Dynamic tho.... Just got theze mailed in~
JIndPJY_d.jpg

hNluoRG

Excited!
:)
First impression: very impressive, finally I have an Over Ear that exceed the vocal performance of my IEMs, I had tried both HD600 and Final Pandora Hope III, neither can deliver what I want.
This tho.

I just love AT's Vocal tuning. And these, are the best of it I've heard yet!

6Oyk6qg.jpg

Nice to have the two together for a while, I'm letting go the little brother soon.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,141 of 2,205
Yeah, R70x is very different still, the R70x is more of ATvs attempt at HD600 competitor anyway, while the 712 can also be called something similar to that, all three aiming at neutral, while The R70x went down to the more warm path, 712 a bit brighter..... At least that's wha I hear about them, I do and have tried both the R70x and the K600 (together with the 800s), but it was on a separate occassion, so can't really AB compare them then..

Back to Air Dynamic tho.... Just got theze mailed in~
JIndPJY_d.jpg

hNluoRG

Excited!
:)
First impression: very impressive, finally I have an Over Ear that exceed the vocal performance of my IEMs, I had tried both HD600 and Final Pandora Hope III, neither can deliver what I want.
This tho.

I just love AT's Vocal tuning. And these, are the best of it I've heard yet!

6Oyk6qg.jpg

Nice to have the two together for a while, I'm letting go the little brother soon.

Hey Sp12er3, I currently have the AD700X, and mostly use them for gaming, but would you say that the AD1000X is worth the upgrade cost over the 700X's? I love my 700X's but am willing to pay to upgrade if the 1000X's provide a superior sound worth the cost. For gaming, would you say that it's worth it to upgrade? Any information is appreciated!

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #2,142 of 2,205
I'm using the AT mostly for music listening, as for me I put emphasis on bass quantity and natural sound more when gaming. I'm more on immersive RPG Gameplay than FPS, like Witcher III and Nier Automata is the last AAA game I played, other than that I play casual RTS like Red Alert, and I loved my MA900 on them, long term comfort, for both my head and my ear's health.

For me, I prefer to have wide soundstage and good amount of bass than precise instrument placement for those footsteps and gunshot directional aid.

I did used the AD700x a bit for those gaming and movie wathhing, but not enough for a deep impressions, for me, the AD700x is just unimpressive when compared to either my MA900 and AD1000x.
Using the AD1000x for gaming tho... I'm not sure I'd like it, IMO it's not really tuned for that usage, especially with the lack of bass..
Sorry, I can't comment muhh about its usage in competitive FPS.

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #2,143 of 2,205
Hey Sp12er3, I currently have the AD700X, and mostly use them for gaming, but would you say that the AD1000X is worth the upgrade cost over the 700X's? I love my 700X's but am willing to pay to upgrade if the 1000X's provide a superior sound worth the cost. For gaming, would you say that it's worth it to upgrade? Any information is appreciated!
For what it's worth, from my memory, the AD700x is more forgiving than the AD1000x, it also would suit much wider range of usage, so IMO it'd be a much better use in gaming and movie watching usage.
The AD1000x isn't really an "Only headphone" material IMO, but as you can see in my signature, I have quite a different sort of problem :ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #2,144 of 2,205
For what it's worth, from my memory, the AD700x is more forgiving than the AD1000x, it also would suit much wider range of usage, so IMO it'd be a much better use in gaming and movie watching usage.
The AD1000x isn't really an "Only headphone" material IMO, but as you can see in my signature, I have quite a different sort of problem :ksc75smile:

Thank you for the information! I have read exactly what you described regarding the AD1000x's in that the AD700x's are actually better suited to gaming because of the type of sound stange. Do you by chance have any recommendations for a strictly gaming headphone that would rival the AD700x's? I am willing to try other brands but I've only tried Audio Technica's so I'm not exactly sure what other options would be well suited for gaming over the AD700x's.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,145 of 2,205
iKQrxeG.jpg
IMO, she looks beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_20190903_134710_116.jpg
    IMG_20190903_134710_116.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back