Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jul 22, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #1,741 of 2,205
  Thanks for the explanation, I see exactly what you mean. When going to the Japanese website both are grouped when talking about the details of the driver. Although I see AD2000X in parenthesis for a few pictures - have no idea what they're talking about. Also on the US amazon website, when talking about about 2kx driver it says "designed exclusively for the ATH-AD2000X" and the 1kx drivers "The 53 mm large-aperture drivers are exclusively crafted for this model". I don't really trust the product description from Amazon as they're typically misleading or wrong, especially for imported products. 

Amazon doesn't write the descriptions of products shown for sale, sellers do. One item might have four listings with various descriptions of the same product because four different sellers (manufacturer or not) wrote the wording for each page.

Important to do your own research from manufacture's websites and official review sites or from trusted reviewers.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,742 of 2,205
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got my AD1000x after ordering online - I also have owned a pair of beyerdynamic dt770 250 ohms for several years (but never have used them with an amplifier coz im a noob) and recently bought a pair of ATH-M50XBL's as I needed a more portable/easier to drive closed headphone and love them.

Needless to say, these AD1000x's are certainly a step up into new territory for me. Straight out of the box, unamped through my ipod classic they sound fantastic - being an open headphone my ears are still adjusting to that jump in soundstage from my closed cans. I definitely agree with a_recordings view that female vocals are another level on these hp's. Now looking for a dedicated amp to pair with these. 

Surprisingly the bass isn't as lacking as i'd read about, I mean, they are no closed can bass head type sound, but it is very clinical and it just feels truer than my other hp's. Happy listening!~

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,744 of 2,205
Early impressions of AD2000x is they are mightily similar to the AD1000x. If you're on a budget definitely go for the 1000x, I'll keep the 2000x because it's just a bit better all around - but it's hard to sum up the differences as they seem minor at this stage. Signature is practically the same.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,745 of 2,205
  Early impressions of AD2000x is they are mightily similar to the AD1000x. If you're on a budget definitely go for the 1000x, I'll keep the 2000x because it's just a bit better all around - but it's hard to sum up the differences as they seem minor at this stage. Signature is practically the same.

How are you liking the fit?  

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,747 of 2,205
Interesting.  And the minor differences like you say further supports the claim that the AD2000X and AD1000X share the same driver.  

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,753 of 2,205
what does magnets do to the sound?

I think it has to do with the frequency we can hear. The magnet is just a coil wrapped around some iron. When different current is passed to that coil it becomes an electromagnet and pushes or pulls an iron membrane that causes vibration. The AD2000x uses permendur which from brief research is a soft iron. I guess in theory you would want the membrane to be a soft iron in order to produce the best vibrations. It probably has more to do with permendurs coercivity but I'm not the best person to ask! Sorry. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #1,754 of 2,205
I think it has to do with the frequency we can hear. The magnet is just a coil wrapped around some iron. When different current is passed to that coil it becomes an electromagnet and pushes or pulls an iron membrane that causes vibration. The AD2000x uses permendur which from brief research is a soft iron. I guess in theory you would want the membrane to be a soft iron in order to produce the best vibrations. It probably has more to do with permendurs coercivity but I'm not the best person to ask! Sorry. 

Thank you for explained! Still do not understand why they priced ad2000x $200 more than ad1000x when there is so little differences.

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,755 of 2,205
Thank you for explained! Still do not understand why they priced ad2000x $200 more than ad1000x when there is so little differences.

Flagship status of AIR Series ? But you can do endless arguing about why some headphone are priced in comparison to their respective line up for any brand
tongue.gif
(even if i agree that some times the price difference is not justified at all )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back