Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jul 26, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,276 of 2,205
Id rather the Open ear ones as they're better for gaming right? If I were to get a set of closed ear ones, I can get a set of new Denon AH-D600s for like 200$ (reg 550). Though I dont think those would be any good for gaming, correct?

EDIT: I can get a set of HD555 for like 100$ too, so im not sure what to do at this point.

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,277 of 2,205
Speaking of gaming guys, I don't know if you know this, but recently Audio Technica announced a new line of premium gaming headsets at PAX Australia.

http://thegamerspad.net/audio-technica-gaming-headsets-paxaus/

ADG-1

AG-1

An Audio Technica rep informed me that the AD700X / AD900X and A700X and A900X were the target references for both headphones, and launch is expected some time in October.

I personally think the AG-1 looks fantastic.  I'll try to get my hands on a demo pair of both for review. Again that would be closer to October. I'm not a huge FPS gamer though so perhaps someone who would be even more excited than me should start a new thread? :3

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,278 of 2,205
Id rather the Open ear ones as they're better for gaming right? If I were to get a set of closed ear ones, I can get a set of new Denon AH-D600s for like 200$ (reg 550). Though I dont think those would be any good for gaming, correct?

EDIT: I can get a set of HD555 for like 100$ too, so im not sure what to do at this point.

What kind of gaming? If you haven't already, I'd recommend looking at MadLustEnvy's gaming headphone guide. Be aware that his guide is for console Dolby gaming, thought his can recommendations are still good guides. Nameless also has a PC gaming guide.

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,279 of 2,205
Quote:
Speaking of gaming guys, I don't know if you know this, but recently Audio Technica announced a new line of premium gaming headsets at PAX Australia.

ADG-1

AG-1

An Audio Technica rep informed me that the AD700X / AD900X and A700X and A900X were the target references for both headphones, and launch is expected some time in October.

I personally think the AG-1 looks fantastic.  I'll try to get my hands on a demo pair of both for review. Again that would be closer to October. I'm not a huge FPS gamer though so perhaps someone who would be even more excited than me should start a new thread? :3

My god those look fantastic! Any idea on price point? Is the 2nd a Closed/Semi Open design? doesnt look open. I'm going back to school in September, so Maybe ill just get some cheapo headphones for the time being. I have a feeling that they wont be terribly good for music though.

Quote:
What kind of gaming? If you haven't already, I'd recommend looking at MadLustEnvy's gaming headphone guide. Be aware that his guide is for console Dolby gaming, thought his can recommendations are still good guides. Nameless also has a PC gaming guide.

Can I get a link to that guide?

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #1,280 of 2,205
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-18-2013-philips-fidelio-x1-added

Here you go! He lists some low priced cans that you might be interested in until the new ATH gaming headsets come out.

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #1,281 of 2,205
Quote:
My god those look fantastic! Any idea on price point? Is the 2nd a Closed/Semi Open design? doesnt look open. I'm going back to school in September, so Maybe ill just get some cheapo headphones for the time being. I have a feeling that they wont be terribly good for music though.

The AG-1 is a closed design based on the A700X and A900X.

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,282 of 2,205
Interesting...

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,283 of 2,205
Quote:

The AG-1 is a closed design based on the A700X and A900X.

The open version will probably sound more like the AD700 than the AD900.  The positioning cues and imaging were top notch on the AD700, however the sibilance, and extremely poor bass response needed adjustments.

The AD900x isn't bad for games, but it really does not do justice for FPS titles.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #1,284 of 2,205
I have a feeling those gaming cans are gonna be overpriced, and will sound like utter crap for music. I might just go for the AD700xs, as they look awesome and have a better bass :D. Though should I even consider those denons I can get from my buddy, they're like 550$ headphones.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #1,285 of 2,205
Quote:
I have a feeling those gaming cans are gonna be overpriced, and will sound like utter crap for music. I might just go for the AD700xs, as they look awesome and have a better bass
biggrin.gif
. Though should I even consider those denons I can get from my buddy, they're like 550$ headphones.

Why not get the A900x?  They often hit $99 manf. refurbished with an AT warranty.  I bought mine in January, and honestly they were the best purchase I ever made!  The bang/buck is strong with this one lol

They looked new, and had brand new pads (painful break in the first 8-10 hours).

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,287 of 2,205
Quote:

ADG-1

AG-1

Saw these on display at ENTECH 2013 a few days ago. Heard it'll be about USD$299 for the AG-1.

Tried the AG-1 but not too impressed with SQ. I'd say this pair should be used for what it was intended to be used for - gaming, not for music.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,288 of 2,205
Quote:
I've heard the AD900s arnt as good for gaming. And where can you get em for 99$? Definetly interested in that haha.

I suggest you buy the AD-700 and then worry about getting a closed back phone later. You can get them for under a $100 at Amazon. Never read where a gamer badmouthed them yet besides they are very very comfortable, easy to drive, great sound separation (staging).

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,290 of 2,205
Quote:
I've heard the AD900s arnt as good for gaming. And where can you get em for 99$? Definetly interested in that haha.

Quote:
I suggest you buy the AD-700 and then worry about getting a closed back phone later. You can get them for under a $100 at Amazon. Never read where a gamer badmouthed them yet besides they are very very comfortable, easy to drive, great sound separation (staging).

He wanted one for music!  The AD700 has a very poor genre bandwidth.  A900x on the other hand is way more musical, you can find it on buydig frequently for $99.  

Just because it is closed does not mean it has a poor soundstage.  I've seen people hail the pricier FA-003 as the best bang/buck headphone, and that it sounds like an open headphone. Well..  I can assure you they haven't tried the A900x!

In general, these are my conclusions between different Audio Technica headphones I have owned.

For competitive gaming:  AD700 > A900x > AD900x
For usual gaming:  A900x  > AD900x > AD700
For music:  AD900x >A900x > AD700

A900x is certainly mid-fi worthy.  You won't believe how good they are until you buy them, especially at $99!

Check often, as they come and go quickly around the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back