Audio-Technica new wood cans...ATH-W5000
Oct 26, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #241 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
That said the few ebony backed guitars I tried had a sound I really did not like, very bright.

bobeau,

That's what I'm a little afraid of, concerning the W5000.

Oct 26, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #242 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat
bobeau,

That's what I'm a little afraid of, concerning the W5000.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I imagine the drivers are tuned to 'work' with the wood, and remember that the leatherheads by some folks standards are just too warm. It could good be a really ideal combo. Though methinks the main reason the wood was chosen is mainly aesthetic, as it seems to be for its use in some boutique guitars.

Nov 1, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #244 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
I cant wait for these to be released.......

They are available for order on some Japanese stores for twice the price of W1000.

which sites have you seen the price for twice of W1000?

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #246 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
which sites have you seen the price for twice of W1000?

Do a search on google, you will find a bunch of Japanese stores selling them for about 100k yen.

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #248 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Wow, those macassar guitars are beautiful.

i reckon! ive never seen wood like that before. There are no words to describe how incredible they look
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #249 of 289
Honestly, is there any meaningful difference? Whether AT produces a full run for 2 years or releases a limited X number of cans, it all looks functionally the same to me. I.e., AT will produce a can for maybe two years, then replace it with a new model after that.

Certain limited editions like the ATH-A900LTD look interesting or early ATH-W (W10LTD/W11/W11JPN) seem to be more interesting in the limited approach. But the L3000, despite its "limited" nature, really just seemed like another production run ATH headphone.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #250 of 289
I looked for some early impressions from Japan today using Google's translate mode. Well sorry, didn't find any. But to keep this thread alive, I am happy to report a new low price of 84,000 Yen / 600 Euro.

Not only does it look great and exude luxurious ear pampering more than any other phone short of the L3k, now it even comes down into a price region that puts it within reach of many more head-fiers than we first thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even if the Ebony wood gives the W-5000 overall more treble and maybe even too much so, a tuneable amp like the PPX3 SLAM with the right tubes rolled in will hopefully turn the W-5000 into a grand performer.

If only these Japanese websites would ever respond to emails, take a reservation and ship abroad.

Cheers!

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #252 of 289
This thread keeps getting better...... very informative indeed
evil_smiley.gif

does it ever get old..... nope
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back