Audio-Technica new wood cans...ATH-W5000
Nov 9, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #256 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher
Just noticed Bluetin has the new ATH-W5000 listed at $998 USD, available Dec 01. A bit steep for me at the moment.
frown.gif

Too high. Street prices seem to be around 850ish. Talked to pricejapan.com, they gave me a preliminary quote of 99,000 SHIPPED to Europe, which translates to 720 Euro or about 850 US$.

M.

Nov 9, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #258 of 289
I'm glad someone resurrected this thread. I was worried you all forgot about the upcoming ATH-W5000. How can a set of cans have classic status before anyone has heard them? Or do all soon to be released cans have the same kind build up hype? I wonder how many of us will actually pony up for these beauties. Anyway experience tells me the fantasy is always better than the.....heh, heh..or is it?

Nov 9, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #259 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
How can a set of cans have classic status before anyone has heard them? Or do all soon to be released cans have the same kind build up hype? I wonder how many of us will actually pony up for these beauties.

Looking at your sig, I thought you are our spiritual leader....
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #260 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Looking at your sig, I thought you are our spiritual leader....
wink.gif

Long live the Woodies, Hail ken36!!!
wink.gif

Overlunge

Nov 9, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #261 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
I like that headphone stand and its cable management... anyone know where to buy one
smily_headphones1.gif
?

That is a great design, i think i will make one out of oak.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #262 of 289
Quote:

... build up hype? I wonder how many of us will actually pony up for these beauties.

I think we will get some in-store impressions fairly quickly as was the case with the SA-5000 and other cans introduced in the last 2 years. Provided these comments aren't totally bad, I am ordering some W-5000.

What else is there in this price bracket? Some RS-1 for a bit less. Don't want these. The only other Grado next to mine I would like to hear are the HP-2. But these are extremely hard to find, and usually quite a bit more than 1k US$. As are the PS-1. I think, the next step beyond these 750 Euro phones involves amps in the 1.5k+ category and phones of equal or greater sticker price. However, a 3k US$ rig is just not on my horizon, so it's hit or miss with the W-5000. If I end up not liking them, I think I should be able to find a buyer fairly quickly, at a discount.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #265 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Any new impressions on these cans?

I'd definitely appreciate any pros/cons dissection of their sound.

My closed headphone upgrade bug is getting to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Not released yet. But many there are some lucky individuals out there had a chance to sneak-peek the headphones?

Overlunge

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #266 of 289
Quote:

Too much anticipation of the forthcoming release? It cannot, but disappoint. Or maybe not. Is the K701 hyped up reputation in free fall after the NYC meet? Stay tuned. Anyway, I'm a true believer: the W5000 will be stunning in every possible way.
blink.gif

Those impressions are certainly pre-mature, balance them with genuine burn-in concerns, and temper with remberance of the initial reaction to the ATH-L3K's.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #267 of 289
I hope it comes for sale on Dec 2nd as promised.

PC Success (one of my favourite stores in Tokyo) is selling them for 82 413 Yen:

http://www.pc-success.co.jp/shop.php...Fhome_hdr.html

I have a couple of friends visiting Tokyo just the week ATH-W5000 are supposed to be released.

Looks like I'm going to finally get a closed headphone upgrade, even though I'm not a great AT fan myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #269 of 289
I should have mine by first week of December!

My first woodie!

Nov 25, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #270 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenneth11zz
Quick question. What are the main different between the L and W series in term of sound signature?

-Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

Basically, L3000 is a W headphone with leather covering the wood housing. The main differences that separate the L's with the W's are: 1. Soundstage, the past W's have more close and intimate soundstage comparing with L3000. 2. Musicality, L3000 taken up the musical/warmer sub-characters of the W lines (I think I have written something about it in the previous posts) L3000 retained the midrange magic, and adds a bit more extension to both ends.

That's all I can think of at this stage,

Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back