Audio Technica M-50 vs Akg K 701
Feb 17, 2011 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

wisher75

New Head-Fier
Which would be better if I'm running them through a Pioneer 820 reciever. I'm looking for a really good low bass headphone. I have the Audio tehnica M-40fs now and they just don't deliver on loudness or bass. So if you can think of any other cans what would be better please post.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 15
if you just want a small accurate low bass that isn't offensive for classical music k701 would be ur choice

otherwise I wouldn't go for the k701 if you are looking for bass

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 15
Probably M50 is the safer choice.  It has good power in the bass -- and doesn't require specialized amp. 
It is a closed headphone, unlike the open k701 with emphatically needs a high quality headphone amp to drive it. 

Closed headphones are what you need if there are other people around who might be bothered by the sound.

I use M50s at work so I can listen to reggae at suitably righteous sound levels.  I'm shoulder to shoulder with my cube mates, so no open 'phones would be acceptable. 

At home I almost always go to my k702s with separate amp.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 15
Phiaton MS400, HFI-580, V-Moda Crossfade, Sony XB500 and a couple others ALL have more bass than the M50 if that is a big priority of yours.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 15
not for bass I just found a good deal on a pair and wanted to know what all the opinions were. However, the open-air/sealed issue completely slipped my mind. My main use for these is to block out my room mates whenever I need to study. So the K 701s are out. If you have ANY headphones you think are competitive with the M50s around the same price, (+-$75) please post.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Nope I haven't. Literally the only place I have heard of that issue is on one amazon review with a bunch of comments on it. Other than that I've found nothing and experienced nothing of the sort. Even googling it I can't find anything other than that one amazon review. I like them, the bass is amazing if you like hip-hop/rock.

Quote:
 I looked up the V-Moda phones, and heard the had problems cracking due to torqued screws. Have you had this problem?

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
akg is like high end crap. go with m50 though if u don't want to use amp. 

Again, there are other credible options BESIDES the M50s that would work for the OP, and no AKGs are not s***.  Their line is a excellent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back