Audio technica in Canada
Apr 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Nkp3

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've searched around the forum but couldn't get an exact answer so I decided to ask. I'm looking to buy a pair of Audio Technica ath m50's, but I live in Canada and can't find these headphones anywhere. I'm going on a trip to Chicago in two weeks and figured buying a new pair of headphones for the long drive was needed. I was going to buy them off of amazon, but after paying 115 for the headphones, and shipping and duties it will end up costing me way too much. Does anybody know a place I can get these to Canada for cheaper? Or maybe even a different pair of headphones that are the same quality. I'm new to buying quality headphones, so any help is appreciated.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 41
Sorry, but that's what we get for living in Canada.

We always spend at least $20-$50 extra on headphones. I don't really know other stores to get these, but amazon is usually the best place.
And buying locally is ridiculous. Don't do it.

Just keep searching!

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 41
I'm pretty sure Moog Audio has them, but that's Toronto, I have no idea where you are and Canada is a big place :)

Edit: yup, here you go
http://www.moogaudio.com/audio-technica-ath-m50-p-4314.html?osCsid=6fd53daaffe0aeac21f551d0c2509f72

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 41

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Moog Audio has them, but that's Toronto, I have no idea where you are and Canada is a big place :)

Edit: yup, here you go
http://www.moogaudio.com/audio-technica-ath-m50-p-4314.html?osCsid=6fd53daaffe0aeac21f551d0c2509f72

$194 + 13% tax? No ho ho ho. That's more expensive than $115 + duty (+ brokerage possibly) if OP buys from Ebay/amazon. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 41
Didn't say they were a great deal
smile.gif

Just that they have them.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 41
Thanks for all the help guys 
smile.gif
 I was hoping to be able to get these headphones before my trip, but it's looking like I'm going to have to get a normal 25 dollar pair and buy these a bit later when I've got more time and extra cash.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 41
Yeah Canada sucks for buying headphones. The ranking is like this-

Hong Kong > Singapore > US > Japan > Europe > Canada > Australia

Hong Kong (mingo) and Singapore (jaben) are probably the only two places on this planet where it's like a real life head-fi store and you can try pretty much any gear you want in-store, including portable setups. Headphone heaven.

However, in Singapore you'd probably have to buy it at Jaben, whereas in Hong Kong you try at mingo and there's about 50 other stores in Hong Kong that sells headphone gear for much cheaper.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 41
I just try to aim for used gear.

I would personally recommend spending the extra money for a pair of SRH840s as I did not like the M50s one bit... Although they were pretty comfortable. Worst case scenario, you drop the headphones on your credit card from Future Shop or Best Buy and return them after your trip if you really want to pursue the M50s, other headphones or just don't like them. I believe Future Shop will be carrying the M50s soon, however, I would guess at MSRP.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 41

Quote:
Why not grab them in Chicago for the drive home?

[size=medium]
Buying them in Chicago isn't actually a terrible idea, no clue why I never thought of something like that 
blink.gif
 hopefully I come across a store that carries such kinds of headphones. 
[/size]

Quote:
I just try to aim for used gear.

I would personally recommend spending the extra money for a pair of SRH840s as I did not like the M50s one bit... Although they were pretty comfortable. Worst case scenario, you drop the headphones on your credit card from Future Shop or Best Buy and return them after your trip if you really want to pursue the M50s, other headphones or just don't like them. I believe Future Shop will be carrying the M50s soon, however, I would guess at MSRP.

Does Future Shop have a variety of quality headphones? I would love to have the convenience of being able to drive over and buy some, rather than paying to bring them into the country. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 41

If you're having a trip into the US, it's alot easier to buy there. In Chicago, there 

318 North Laflin Street
Chicago, IL 60607
312.433.0200 / (800)449.8333 
It's apparently a warehouse, but they'll let you try out headphones.

Audio Consultants
910 W. Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60607 
(312) 829-5950
Fax: (312) 829-5995

I haven't been to these, but I hear they're pretty good places to go to. - I personally live in Singapore, so I have Jaben to visit.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 41
Thanks for those two locations, I'll definitely try to work my way in their direction and check them out :D

Futureshops in Canada carry Shures, but they are just as overpriced (relative to their prices in USA) as the M50s.

Do you have an opinion on the SRH440's? Theyre half the price of the 480's but I'm just going to go ahead and guess not as good :p

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #14 of 41

Quote:
Hey guys, I've searched around the forum but couldn't get an exact answer so I decided to ask. I'm looking to buy a pair of Audio Technica ath m50's, but I live in Canada and can't find these headphones anywhere. I'm going on a trip to Chicago in two weeks and figured buying a new pair of headphones for the long drive was needed. I was going to buy them off of amazon, but after paying 115 for the headphones, and shipping and duties it will end up costing me way too much. Does anybody know a place I can get these to Canada for cheaper? Or maybe even a different pair of headphones that are the same quality. I'm new to buying quality headphones, so any help is appreciated.

I think in every big city many local stores sells highend headphones like Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, AKG, Grado, Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic, Sony and Shure, BTW where are you located?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back