Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,501 of 1,524
Hi everyone!
Last week I bought a IM70 model (blind choice), and most of the time I was happy with my choice (sound and stereo panorama is great!). But some tracks have an unpleasant "rattle noise" at high volume.

For example: "What You Isn't" (The Brian Jonestown Massacre), "Myth" (Beach House).
I do not know what causes it, but the effect is clearly audible.

Please check it out with your own AT iems :triportsad:

I'm afraid your IM70 sounds like it has a fault.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,502 of 1,524
I don't know if it counts but I tried listening to that song on YouTube and no rattling noise or whatsoever.

I listened to these tracks on my other headphones, Sennheiser ie 4 ... and I hear the same "rattle sound", although much less pronounced. Just the sound of IM70 is more detailed with more emphasis on high frequencies 
happy_face1.gif

Perhaps this is a feature of the sound path of my phone.. or something else. Anyway I hereby retract my claim offf!)))

http://i.imgur.com/jrLJAAU.jpg?1 just amazing!))

Thank you for responding!

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,503 of 1,524
  Hi everyone!
Last week I bought a IM70 model (blind choice), and most of the time I was happy with my choice (sound and stereo panorama is great!). But some tracks have an unpleasant "rattle noise" at high volume.
For example: "What You Isn't" (The Brian Jonestown Massacre), "Myth" (Beach House).
I do not know what causes it, but the effect is clearly audible.

Please check it out with your own AT iems 
triportsad.gif

It's probably a defective driver. unfortunately. From my experience the IM70's QC isn't very good. I had a similar distortion problem with my fourth pair of IM70 (first one's right side broke and later I exchanged/returned two units because of driver flex/ear pressure on the right side). The rattling distortion was on the left ear and it's only noticeable in quiet songs with a bit of ambience or electric piano like the beginning of Ink by Coldplay or A Kiss As Long As Eternity by Vitas. I was unable to get another exchange and the seller couldn't hear the problem either. Now I'm using the left driver from my first pair and the right driver from my new replacement (it still has some driver flex but it the air pressure isn't as bad as those two).

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,505 of 1,524
My IM50, which I bought a few years ago are wearing out with one of the cables close to snap soon. So I'm thinking about buying new earphones. Any suggestions?

If you like the IM50/ATH house sound and you want to try something similarly priced, I'd go for its successor, the LS50. Great IEM, cleaner bass and resolution is unparalleled for something this price. I think AT really did some wonders with this one. It's not TOTL fantastic, but I'd be damned if it isn't superb value and an absolutely sublime experience.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,506 of 1,524
Hey guys, I seem to have a slight issue with the nozzle filter in my IM70. I was changing tips when I realised the filter on the right side was missing. I found the little bugger inside the tip I just removed. I placed it back but I noticed it's not sticking.
I'm thinking of glueing them to the nozzle.
Anyone else here with a similar experience? If so, what did you do?

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #1,507 of 1,524
If you like the IM50/ATH house sound and you want to try something similarly priced, I'd go for its successor, the LS50. Great IEM, cleaner bass and resolution is unparalleled for something this price. I think AT really did some wonders with this one. It's not TOTL fantastic, but I'd be damned if it isn't superb value and an absolutely sublime experience.
Thanks a lot. I have just realised that I can buy a replacement cable for my IM50! I didn't know that the cable is detachable. Saw a few different cables on Amazon and eBay. I wonder if anyone has any experience replacing the cable?

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,508 of 1,524
Thanks a lot. I have just realised that I can buy a replacement cable for my IM50! I didn't know that the cable is detachable. Saw a few different cables on Amazon and eBay. I wonder if anyone has any experience replacing the cable?

You may have to yank it out harder the first time around. There is also a risk of the pins breaking as reported by some users here, but it hasn't happened to me. I bought the HDC1iS (with in-line button remote and microphone) but in a month or two they started stiffening again but they're still going strong.

I'm looking for a bluetooth cable and whether anyone here has any experience with them? I know Lear makes one for the IM connector that costs about 65$ USD. http://lear.hk/products/lear-btc-01-bluetooth-cable?&locale=en

There were also some MMCX adapters on Yahoo Japan but these add another inch or two to the cable which may render any earguides unusuable.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,509 of 1,524
Hi guys, I have been using the IM70 since 2014.

Since yesterday the left side has totally no sound, i have tried connecting to different device and clean the connector but no luck.

Is this more like a cable problem or body/driver problem ? Could changing a new cable revive my IM70? Thanks

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,510 of 1,524
  Hi guys, I have been using the IM70 since 2014.

Since yesterday the left side has totally no sound, i have tried connecting to different device and clean the connector but no luck.

Is this more like a cable problem or body/driver problem ? Could changing a new cable revive my IM70? Thanks

unless you have got your left side wet or damaged, I would venture a guess that it is most likely a cable issue.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,512 of 1,524
  unless you have got your left side wet or damaged, I would venture a guess that it is most likely a cable issue.

Are you able to connect the cable for the right bud into the left and see whether that works?
If it does then you need a new cable

It seems like its a cable issue indeed. Today the memory wire of the left part suddenly fall off from the stock cable lol. Guess its broken internally. Thanks guys

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,513 of 1,524

My first foray into iem, and also my first hour with this thing. Trying so hard to like it but really has been an uphill battle.

I feel the sound to be muddy, as if muffled by a pillow, and I've tried all the eartips supplied.

Vocal sounds so soft and plush, I wouldn't call it smooth, it was structureless, no body, no form I can make, this is so weird, sounds like very cheap earphones that come bundled with mobile phones.

Come on, It cannot be this bad, what am I missing here? Any idea? Burn in?

This thing isn't suppose to require amping right?
try the tips from comply their memory foam & give a good seal.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,514 of 1,524
Has anyone tried the Nobunaga cable in Amazon JP? My cable broke and I'm looking to replace it with the Nobunaga Cable or maybe I should just buy the stock cable? 

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #1,515 of 1,524
I'm wondering about cables as well, and if anyone has compared Nobunaga to Lunashops as well. preferably I want something more durable and doesn't stiffen over time like the stock cable. My HDC1iS just broke the other day - I got it back in May. The problem area was above the in-line remote on the right side. I know putting IEMs in my pockets isn't the best idea but a well-built cable should still be able to withstand that.

I'd also prefer if they can ship fast to Canada. The HDC1iS took only two weeks or so to arrive from Japan but some of the third-party cables from China seem to take longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back