Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #1,486 of 1,524
@novice:

I own the IM50 but also demoed the IM70. To my ears and my memory, the IM70 has less low mids as compared to IM50 so to hear you describe it as muffled is quite a contrast to what I've experienced.

Maybe you could try letting it burn in overnight to some of your favorite songs at higher volume and have a listen to it then? Dynamic drivers sometimes tend to sound like that out of the box until the diaphragm loosens up.

If it still sounds bad, maybe a return is in order.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,487 of 1,524
The IM70 is a somewhat warm and organic sounding IEM, with a roll-off in the highs (though it still extends very well) and midrange peak.

I only tried the IM50 briefly many years ago and the IM70 right after, I thought the IM50 sounded bloated and boomy with less trebl extension than the IM70.

You could try using harder or wider bore tips which may bring more brightness into the treble. Philips SHE3590 tips. Another thing you could do is to take out the filters.

There isn't much difference in physical burn-in with the IM70, whether you believe it or not. I'm using the left driver from my older unit (right one broke) and the right one from a newer unit (because its left one had some distortion and I was unable to exchange a second time - first one had driver flex on the right ear). The old unit was over a year old while the right driver was just two weeks old when I was able to match them up, they sound pretty much the same. It's best just to give them a few days or weeks and see if you like them more, otherwise they're probably not your cup of tea.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,488 of 1,524

My first foray into iem, and also my first hour with this thing. Trying so hard to like it but really has been an uphill battle.

I feel the sound to be muddy, as if muffled by a pillow, and I've tried all the eartips supplied.

Vocal sounds so soft and plush, I wouldn't call it smooth, it was structureless, no body, no form I can make, this is so weird, sounds like very cheap earphones that come bundled with mobile phones.

Come on, It cannot be this bad, what am I missing here? Any idea? Burn in?

This thing isn't suppose to require amping right?

I can why you think that way. The im70s certainly aren't the clearest out there.

The eartips does change the sound a bit. But its not so much to make them take on a completely different characteristic.

However i didnt like the im70 with the stock eartips though.

Certainly dark sounding with some air back in the treble but lacking sparkle.

The warm midrange can sound a bit "off" for a lack of a better word.

The bass while not basshead in terms of quantity can be a bit bloomy at times.

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #1,489 of 1,524
I can why you think that way. The im70s certainly aren't the clearest out there.

The eartips does change the sound a bit. But its not so much to make them take on a completely different characteristic.

However i didnt like the im70 with the stock eartips though.

Certainly dark sounding with some air back in the treble but lacking sparkle.

The warm midrange can sound a bit "off" for a lack of a better word.

The bass while not basshead in terms of quantity can be a bit bloomy at times.

My Portapro or even my KSC75 beat IM70 in all spectrums (to my hearing), but horses for courses, I require IEM isolation in noisy cafes. This thing is too dark for me. i can't imagine how far changing the tips or even removing filters can help. Lesson learned, audition before purchase.

The IM70 is a somewhat warm and organic sounding IEM, with a roll-off in the highs (though it still extends very well) and midrange peak.

I only tried the IM50 briefly many years ago and the IM70 right after, I thought the IM50 sounded bloated and boomy with less trebl extension than the IM70.

You could try using harder or wider bore tips which may bring more brightness into the treble. Philips SHE3590 tips. Another thing you could do is to take out the filters.

There isn't much difference in physical burn-in with the IM70, whether you believe it or not. I'm using the left driver from my older unit (right one broke) and the right one from a newer unit (because its left one had some distortion and I was unable to exchange a second time - first one had driver flex on the right ear). The old unit was over a year old while the right driver was just two weeks old when I was able to match them up, they sound pretty much the same. It's best just to give them a few days or weeks and see if you like them more, otherwise they're probably not your cup of tea.

Philips SHE3590 tips, THANK YOU! How about spinfit?

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,490 of 1,524
Philips SHE3590 tips, THANK YOU! How about spinfit?

Audio-Technica's stock tips generally give a warmer sound on all the IEMs I've tried them on. The 3590 tips bring a bit more brightness and sparkle to the treble, the mid-bass is also toned down just a bit. They also seal a bit better than the stock tips but sometimes the flange flexes when I put it in my ear.

I think removing filters should help to a degree, as it tends to brighten the trebles and upper mids on all the IEMs I've removed filters on. However, dust can get into the housing so I'd prefer to leave the filters on. I'm also not sure if this will void your warranty.

Normally I don't like dark or overly warm sounds but I actually preferred it with the IM70 - I use the eartips that came with my Sony MH750. I wanted Sony hybrid but I was told they too give a similar sound.  They seal well and remain in my ears better than stock and the 3590 tips.

I don't have spinfits but unfortunately some users on the IM70 thread said that they couldn't get a good seal with the IM70 using spinfits.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,491 of 1,524
my im70s memory wire start to wear out alr. any good recommendations for replacement cables that are affordable? (no memory wire preferred)

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,492 of 1,524
Maybe your phone has an impedance that cannot drive them. With my Samsung note 4, and anything else
I tried, they are beating any other earphone I have or tried. They are clear, very good low and high extension.
They are not "basshead" earphones as many Audio Technica other earphones.
The picture looks like you have the "real thing", but still check they are not fake.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,493 of 1,524
Maybe your phone has an impedance that cannot drive them. With my Samsung note 4, and anything else
I tried, they are beating any other earphone I have or tried. They are clear, very good low and high extension.
They are not "basshead" earphones as many Audio Technica other earphones.
The picture looks like you have the "real thing", but still check they are not fake.

Thanks for replying. I tried using different sources (amped and unamped) but differences weren't that significant, besides, I bought this thing for specific purpose in specific situation (working in noisy cafes) with specific sources (eg mbp and iphone). I don't feel like lugging more stuffs other than one pair of iem, nor replacing my existing phone/mbp to match im70.

Tbh, I don't see IM70 as bass head, It's just as if other spectrums are drowned in sea of bass (qualifies as pun?) and thus lacking structure I'm used to.

But that's just me I think, maybe just not my cup of tea. I hope nobody is misled by me exaggerating my shock here.

Authenticity is not questionable, I paid abt $100, bought from a respectable retailer.

Edit
just for laugh: I can't imagine how overly warm it'd be with note 7 as source.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,494 of 1,524
So I tried using some eartips (looks like a hybrid) I borrowed from a friend (did extensive cleaning prior to using) and it definitely helped, or there really is what we call burn-in process, bottom line is it no longer sucks that badly, although still too warm for my taste (and I placed an order for hd6xx, oh now the hype turns into dread.)

Thanks for your replies. Will give this little red guy another week or so and see how it goes.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,495 of 1,524
So I tried using some eartips (looks like a hybrid) I borrowed from a friend (did extensive cleaning prior to using) and it definitely helped, or there really is what we call burn-in process, bottom line is it no longer sucks that badly, although still too warm for my taste (and I placed an order for hd6xx, oh now the hype turns into dread.)

Thanks for your replies. Will give this little red guy another week or so and see how it goes.

Have you tried to wear them cables down like standard earbuds? If they sound the same then IM70 isn't your cup of tea or you couldn't fit them properly.

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #1,496 of 1,524
Perhaps bearning period will help. I do not remember I disliked them when I received them.
I do not know if there are also possibility for fake ones.
For me, after listening for them for over a month (I bought them on travel to Japan in 
Yogobashi) I enjoy them very much. Furthermore, I find them clearer than my
Shure SE215, Wilkers and Bowers C2 model 2, and several others.

The main problem is with the tips. These earphone sits in a strange way in your ears where
the nossle is pushed in a strange angle into your ear. In one year, this makes a strange sound
when my jaw moves. Thus, I had to change a lot of eartips until I found a good one. The difference
between eartips is like day and night: if they are not soft and sealing and of the right size
(distance of the speakers from eardrums seems to be disgnificant with these) then the quality
changes considerably.

For me what worked is the Sony eartips, in fact, one size bigger than I'm used to (so that it
seals but does not penetrate the ear).

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,498 of 1,524
Perhaps bearning period will help. I do not remember I disliked them when I received them.
I do not know if there are also possibility for fake ones.
For me, after listening for them for over a month (I bought them on travel to Japan in 
Yogobashi) I enjoy them very much. Furthermore, I find them clearer than my
Shure SE215, Wilkers and Bowers C2 model 2, and several others.

The main problem is with the tips. These earphone sits in a strange way in your ears where
the nossle is pushed in a strange angle into your ear. In one year, this makes a strange sound
when my jaw moves. Thus, I had to change a lot of eartips until I found a good one. The difference
between eartips is like day and night: if they are not soft and sealing and of the right size
(distance of the speakers from eardrums seems to be disgnificant with these) then the quality
changes considerably.

For me what worked is the Sony eartips, in fact, one size bigger than I'm used to (so that it
seals but does not penetrate the ear)

Your advice is Golden. Larger HYBRID tips that doesn't penetrate the ear really does the trick. The tips really do significant difference. Now I'm more learned, thanks to you all.

But I bought another iem and a transportable headphone, I'll decide what to do with im70 later.

UPDATE 1:

It gets better with Dacport Slim but the amp is not battery-powered thus kind of impractical and not iPhone-friendly.

UPDATE 2:
Apparently, wrong genre to use with this iem. Modern pop, EDM-related stuffs sound decent with this iem unamped. My new RHA S500 is just the opposite - it exhibits sibilance. Oh well. So I'm keeping both, IM70+dacport slim to use with mbp, s500 to use with mobile phones when not using laptop.

Update 3:
I'm starting to appreciate its smoothness and musicality specifically for pop genre. This iem is made for pop/modern music. Too warm for classical or orchestra pieces.

Sony eartips just arrived today and will try it asap.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #1,499 of 1,524
Hi everyone!
Last week I bought a IM70 model (blind choice), and most of the time I was happy with my choice (sound and stereo panorama is great!). But some tracks have an unpleasant "rattle noise" at high volume.
For example: "What You Isn't" (The Brian Jonestown Massacre), "Myth" (Beach House).
I do not know what causes it, but the effect is clearly audible.

Please check it out with your own AT iems 
triportsad.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,500 of 1,524
Hi everyone!
Last week I bought a IM70 model (blind choice), and most of the time I was happy with my choice (sound and stereo panorama is great!). But some tracks have an unpleasant "rattle noise" at high volume.

For example: "What You Isn't" (The Brian Jonestown Massacre), "Myth" (Beach House).
I do not know what causes it, but the effect is clearly audible.

Please check it out with your own AT iems :triportsad:

I don't know if it counts but I tried listening to that song on YouTube and no rattling noise or whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back