Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Aug 16, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #1,111 of 1,524
Purchased one of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Replaceable-cable-wire-line-drive-controller-for-im50-Im70-IM01-IM02-IM03-im04-The-headphones-cable/32237484031.html?aff_platform=aaf&sk=bm2aeAra%3A&cpt=1439715702219&af=6146845&cn=002&cv=11032041&dp=ide9k127vp000k6o008sc&dl_target_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2FReplaceable-cable-wire-line-drive-controller-for-im50-Im70-IM01-IM02-IM03-im04-The-headphones-cable%2F32237484031.html&PID=6146845&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2FReplaceable-cable-wire-line-drive-controller-for-im50-Im70-IM01-IM02-IM03-im04-The-headphones-cable%2F32237484031.html&aff_trace_key=46247750712421225

Works with gs6 edge. Vol' and mic. Really nice cable. Thinners but worth it.

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #1,112 of 1,524
  Yeah I only saw one other person mention it in a thread, but I only just told him it was driver flex. I guess I will exchange it with the seller and get someone to pick it up if I'm not here. Just hope the replacement doesn't have is problem either... The air pressure is driving me nuts. Even plugging my nose and bowling air out my ears doesn't help (it just seems like the pressure vent is too tightly sealed). My CK323M has a driver flex and air pressure with SHE3590 eartips (best isolation ever) but not as bad as this!

EDIT: I sent it back for an exchange.

bit late to the party but I find for me the driver flex is intermittent on the right earpieces, if it shove it deep enough

but then again I don't think I should need to or have to shove it that deep.....

reading what I just typed can be easily misinterpreted if its taken out of context
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,113 of 1,524
That's pretty much how it was on my unit, but when I do shove it deep it does crinkle a lot. This never happened on my first pair. The real problem was the pressure buildup - the seal was almost airtight and the pressure vent wasn't working. If I press my ear on something the pressure will increase in my ear and I'll notice a congestion in the sound (like you're on a plane and your ears want to pop)

It's been a week since I sent it back for exchange so I'm not sure if they will even get the package. (regular mail takes 1-2 weeks) My concern is that there's no insurance with Canada Post regular mail. Pretty sure I'll only get the exchange after I'm back from travelling.

EDIT: Seller said they received the item and had it inspected by manufacturer and found no problems, so I got a refund. Might purchase it some time later.

Swear I'm being karma'd with the IM70 lol...

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,114 of 1,524
Hi everyone, Ozkan was very nice and sent me his im50. I really like the sound, comfort and most importantly isolation, with the white eu800? tips. I didn't try putting the filters back on, but I did use the spacer and noticed it was more comfortable for me. The best sound I get is when the nozzle is just lined up with the opening of the ear. Sound stage takes a hit when I insert further. The stock tips sound very different. So far with the current setup I have never gotten static or pressure build up. My GF found the iem was uncomfortable due to size and pressure build up (her ears are smaller).

The bass is great but different from the bass you get from speakers and headphones. I found the bass fast and well controlled. I found with the spacers I had to adjust the memory wire once in a while. I did this to make sure the housing wasn't rubbing the cavity of my outer ear, where the iem housing is suppose to rest. This is much better than discomfort in your ear, and it actually sounds better this way for me. This mod is well worth it.

As far as sound quality, it sounds great with vocals and bass on all devices. I'm sorry if I don't know the right term, but I believe it is the upper mid range of instruments and vocals that don't come out so great on my iphone5s. I think specifically it struggles with very fast treble response in this range. This issue is fixed when playing from my laptop. This really is a great iem for on the go especially at the gym. Beats all my bluetooth earphones. Special thanks to Ozkan :) Enjoying lots of detail and bass. Cheers.

For anyone with the im50/70 here is a song with smooth bass, instruments and vocals (male):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeo3an2M_Lo

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,115 of 1,524
  Hi everyone, Ozkan was very nice and sent me his im50. I really like the sound, comfort and most importantly isolation, with the white eu800? tips. I didn't try putting the filters back on, but I did use the spacer and noticed it was more comfortable for me. The best sound I get is when the nozzle is just lined up with the opening of the ear. Sound stage takes a hit when I insert further. The stock tips sound very different. So far with the current setup I have never gotten static or pressure build up. My GF found the iem was uncomfortable due to size and pressure build up (her ears are smaller).

The bass is great but different from the bass you get from speakers and headphones. I found the bass fast and well controlled. I found with the spacers I had to adjust the memory wire once in a while. I did this to make sure the housing wasn't rubbing the cavity of my outer ear, where the iem housing is suppose to rest. This is much better than discomfort in your ear, and it actually sounds better this way for me. This mod is well worth it.

As far as sound quality, it sounds great with vocals and bass on all devices. I'm sorry if I don't know the right term, but I believe it is the upper mid range of instruments and vocals that don't come out so great on my iphone5s. I think specifically it struggles with very fast treble response in this range. This issue is fixed when playing from my laptop. This really is a great iem for on the go especially at the gym. Beats all my bluetooth earphones. Special thanks to Ozkan :) Enjoying lots of detail and bass. Cheers.

For anyone with the im50/70 here is a song with smooth bass, instruments and vocals (male):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeo3an2M_Lo

Good to see you are enjoying your uber modded IM50s bro. 
biggrin.gif
  You'll be amazed once you try them with an amp.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #1,116 of 1,524
My IM70 died within about 6 months. Love the sound but really disappointed in build quality.

What to replace them with?

Aug 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,117 of 1,524
  My IM70 died within about 6 months. Love the sound but really disappointed in build quality.

CKR9/CKR9ltd

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,118 of 1,524

Perhaps another iem brand with reportedly better build quality, my IM-50s were defective from the start.  And a fanboy in this thread was blaming my source and other things, sometimes even a good brand does not execute well on a particular piece.  Finding a good IEM that is built well and sounds to your liking can be tough.  All IEMs are somewhat fragile to a degree.  Even my expensive Westones had several issues.

I now limit my exposure to bad build and sound by not spending as much as I did in the past.  And I am pretty happy.  Good luck with your search.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #1,119 of 1,524
My experience with Audio-Technica has been somewhat up and down but probably more my fault as I'm one of those IEM-pocketers (I should really put them in a a good case). First IM70 lost bass on the right side after some rubbing alcohol got in and maybe repeatedly scrunched up in my pockets. Second was defective on arrival with driver flex and pressure accumulation in my ear (this did not happen with the first pair) - got a full refund. I might just go back to Taiwan in a few months at the same store I bought the first one from to buy a second one, since they're an authorized dealer.

I've had CKM500 break down on me twice, and the iS version came with a flawed right angle adapter which cannot work with a 4-banded (in-line mic) plug . My CK323M, a budget level IEM, has survived laundry washes and stuff, but its sound is definitely only worth its price. The M50x is built like a tank and I've had them for just over a year. A bit curious about getting the MSR7 but perhaps I should get another IM70 instead. How does the sound of both compare? The MSR7 is said to be bright but then again I didn't find it as sibilant as some reviews stated.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,120 of 1,524
  My experience with Audio-Technica has been somewhat up and down but probably more my fault as I'm one of those IEM-pocketers (I should really put them in a a good case). First IM70 lost bass on the right side after some rubbing alcohol got in and maybe repeatedly scrunched up in my pockets. Second was defective on arrival with driver flex and pressure accumulation in my ear (this did not happen with the first pair) - got a full refund. I might just go back to Taiwan in a few months at the same store I bought the first one from to buy a second one, since they're an authorized dealer.

I've had CKM500 break down on me twice, and the iS version came with a flawed right angle adapter which cannot work with a 4-banded (in-line mic) plug . My CK323M, a budget level IEM, has survived laundry washes and stuff, but its sound is definitely only worth its price. The M50x is built like a tank and I've had them for just over a year. A bit curious about getting the MSR7 but perhaps I should get another IM70 instead. How does the sound of both compare? The MSR7 is said to be bright but then again I didn't find it as sibilant as some reviews stated.

I luckily didn't have any problems with my IM50 and 70, knock on wood. I find them very durable and my 50 have been treated pretty roughly.

Anyway, the MSR7 and IM70 are totally different leagues. It's not that much of a fair fight really. IM70 has more bass which is less tight and much smoother treble. MSR7 licks it in pretty much every category, but it's more balanced and reference kind of sound with a bright mid/treble. What are your listening and sound preferences? 

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,121 of 1,524
I am not happy with narrow soundstage of my IM70. Recently was in headphone shop and had chance to listen few full headphones with -50% price of IM70. Much much better soundstage.. problem is i don't like astronaut look like style so i prefer IEM.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,122 of 1,524
Anyway, the MSR7 and IM70 are totally different leagues. It's not that much of a fair fight really. IM70 has more bass which is less tight and much smoother treble. MSR7 licks it in pretty much every category, but it's more balanced and reference kind of sound with a bright mid/treble. What are your listening and sound preferences? 

After the IM70 I tend to think a W-shaped signature is most ideal but IEMs with this are few and far.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,124 of 1,524
  After the IM70 I tend to think a W-shaped signature is most ideal but IEMs with this are few and far.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by W shaped?
I wish I had a bit more money then I would get the Sony XBA-A3.......

I wasn't as big a fan of the A2 as some people are and I understand the A3 has even more bass. If you're looking for just big bass and clear treble it's a good call, but that midrange is very disappointing and unnatural sounding.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,125 of 1,524
Peaks in the bass, mids and treble. The measurements on the IM70 on Goldenears indicates a W-shape with a noticeable mid peak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back