Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #77 of 1,524
Argh, I'll just buy the IM70. Save a hundred bucks @*!#%$€

Have you audition both IM70 and Dunu 1000? Later if buy IM70 but not up to your expectation you heart pain, hehe
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #78 of 1,524
Argh, I'll just buy the IM70. Save a hundred bucks @*!#%$€

Have you audition both IM70 and Dunu 1000? Later if buy IM70 but not up to your expectation you heart pain, hehe
smile.gif

If it's better than my LG Quadbeat 2, I'm fine. Besides, I like red. Lel, it matches my red M50's as well..

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #79 of 1,524
  Those with IM50/70, you've got to hear this.

Haven't listened to this yet, will do in a minute. But I did want to tell people here that in my opinion the IM70s are not the best for classical. The bass is a bit too much and a bit unnatural, and I feel that while I can hear violins clearly, they don't "open up." It can be frustrating at times, especially since I'm a violinist and listen mostly to classical. On a more subtle level that's a little hard to describe, I hear the dynamic levels change clearly in regards to volume (obviously), but the color doesn't change with it. It's like the mood and color is the same but the volume changes, whereas when I had the FXT90 I felt more of the color changes with the dynamics. For classical music, that is one of the most important things. For any other genre that's not predominantly acoustic, they are really fantastic. But whenever I listen to anything classical it's just not quite the right sound for me. Mine have under 30 hours of burn in at this point so maybe that'll change a little, and I still want to experiment with more tips. Also, they still sound good, I'm just being really picky.

Edit: Just listened to the Pachelbel. The violins sound clear and really good for sure. Bass is just monstrous though, haha. It's too much in my opinion. It also definitely overpowers the others at times. I don't have any other phones to compare to, though.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #80 of 1,524

Edit: Just listened to the Pachelbel. The violins sound clear and really good for sure. Bass is just monstrous though, haha. It's too much in my opinion. It also definitely overpowers the others at times. I don't have any other phones to compare to, though.

I listened to the Pachelbel with my IM50, so maybe that's why i didn't felt the bass was overpowering.

But then again, I rarely listen to live classical music; so I'm pretty weak when judging timbre reproduction accuracy
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #81 of 1,524
  I feel that the IM50 has a light Lower Bass(Not Sub Bass), anyone else agree?

Hear the bass thump in the background music:

It does not really sound impactful on my IM50.

Agreed. The low end lacks slam.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #84 of 1,524
Answers in this thread including pics...http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #87 of 1,524
What about ath-im50 vs mh1c, especially in bass department, quantity and quality.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

MH1c has more bass especially subbass while the bass on IM50 is a lot faster and has better quality. I would pick IM50 if I wasn't into subwoofer kind of bass.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #90 of 1,524
I read in that write up that the 50s have huge bass. But you guys said it lacks slam. I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back