Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #106 of 1,524
I am currently living in Asia, so based on some amazon prices I reckon they are pretty reasonable and close to what I paid for mine. (60usd)

I really am not sure how the dual dynamic symphony drivers are designed in the im50s but they don't seem to need burn-in time and just sound smooth out of the box.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #108 of 1,524
Darn.

After using my IM50 (Black) for a few weeks, the right earpiece suddenly sounds softer than the left. With my warranty, I went to Audio Technica's service center and they confirmed the problem I experienced
normal_smile .gif
. But...They had no spare black ones to exchange with me
confused.gif

And now the shocker: I'll have to wait 2 months(
eek.gif
) before they restock their supplies of black IM50s. 

Bummer.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #110 of 1,524
I answered your question here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/705687/review-of-audio-technica-ath-im01-ath-im02-ath-im03-ath-im04-ath-im50-ath-im70/165#post_10322081

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #112 of 1,524
 Darn.

After using my IM50 (Black) for a few weeks, the right earpiece suddenly sounds softer than the left. With my warranty, I went to Audio Technica's service center and they confirmed the problem I experienced
normal_smile .gif
. But...They had no spare black ones to exchange with me
confused.gif

And now the shocker: I'll have to wait 2 months(
eek.gif
) before they restock their supplies of black IM50s. 

Bummer.

Sorry to hear about the issues man, that must suck.  :frowning2:  

I had a similar issue with my klipsch s4i and opened the offending side out and noticed that the driver was kinda out of place - like it was meant to be glued but somehow the glue didn't affix it to the housing properly.  so I busted out my superglue and fixed with a tiny bit of glue without getting any adhesive on the coils. They still do t and never sounded great.. So whatever... But if you have a replacement in 2 months, then that's even better :) just wait it out with a trashy pair or earphones till u get the new ones... They will sound even better,

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #114 of 1,524
  In the meantime, I'm thinking about trying a balanced armature earphone for the first time. Currently deciding whether to get a Astrotec Am-90 or Sony XBA-1.

I doubt you will like both AM-90 and XBA-1 after IM50. Why don't you try the new Astrotec AX-30/35 series which are hybrid? They are supposed to sound better than both. 
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #115 of 1,524
I doubt you will like both AM-90 and XBA-1 after IM50. Why don't you try the new Astrotec AX-30/35 series which are hybrid? They are supposed to sound better than both. :wink:  
Funny, that's exactly what I'm doing. My right earpiece started to sound static(y) a few weeks after I got my IM50s so as soon as I get the AX-35s, I'm sending the IM50s out for repair.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #116 of 1,524
I'm with Ozkan on this... If you go to BAs you may not like the sound signature they present if you already like the IM50s. For a dirt cheap fix you can check out the superlux hd381f. I bought a couple cos they were simple fantastic with nice sub bass and natural mid range and top end sparkle. Build quality is pretty low end but the sound they give can rival a lot of $150+ IEMs.

I think it he number of BA drivers and well tuned crossovers you need to get something with what you are looking for will be in the $700 category. And honestly they may lack the soundstage that dynamics can offer. Best is to try a few BAs before tossing your money away at them.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #117 of 1,524
I don't really like my XBA-1. Not enough at either end of the sound spectrum, and the mids kinda sounded weird to me. The only reason I keep them is as a backup for my known-for-unreliability EPH-100, but that'll change when I get my IM50s.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #118 of 1,524
I don't really like my XBA-1. Not enough at either end of the sound spectrum, and the mids kinda sounded weird to me. The only reason I keep them is as a backup for my known-for-unreliability EPH-100, but that'll change when I get my IM50s.

+1 on XBA1 disdain. I bought a pair when B&H had a $29 sale - like listening to your grandmother - all monotone. Rolled off highs and lows - mediocre and boring. Sold them within a week. Much better options at that price point.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #119 of 1,524
As soon as I get a hold of an IM50 they're out the door. Horrible.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #120 of 1,524
  As soon as I get a hold of an IM50 they're out the door. Horrible. 

cdjapan have them and ships in 3-7 days.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOACS-27944

Users who are viewing this thread

Back