Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Jun 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,456 of 1,524
The paper filter covers the vent hole on the housing, not the main nozzle. To remove it you will need to take apart the housing (IM70 below). I only tried it temporarily with one side (which was already sorta broken) and the soundstage is bigger but the bass is lost. Another thing you could do is poke a hole into the filter inside the vent.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,457 of 1,524
Hello, I have had the IM50 for a while now and I just tried the filter mod. It definitely opened the sound and I really like it! However, I cannot see the paper filter inside - I can only see a metal thing and some black thing inside my IEM. Is this normal? I need my IM50s to last me around 2 years or at least until Christmas. :eek:

I tried taking a picture to show what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/35V6qDg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OV3vGld.jpg

(Also won't this mean that wax/dust that gets inside will be difficult to remove?)

I highly recommend you poking a hole in the paper filter on the air vents. However you need to be extra careful while doing this mod since you can damage the driver membrane if you push the needle to much. Better to take them apart before poking a hole. :wink:

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,458 of 1,524
After a while with extending the nozzles with the inside of a pair of comply tips (with the foam stripped off) and then putting large triple-flange tips on, I have still been having trouble keeping the seal intact while I'm drumming. I ordered a set of Sony hybrid tips (various sizes) but none seal well enough for me - I think it's due to large ear canals. I also got a multi-pack of westone true-fit and star tips, and I think perhaps the largest size of the star tips is actually going to do the trick... I've been satisfied with my listening so far. I'm playing this weekend, so will get a chance to try them out with motion and sweat thrown into the mix! They are narrow-bore (I couldn't actually get them stretched over, but my wife has a little more dexterity and got them on), but I didn't notice any unpleasant impact on the sound. And the bass may be better with a wide bore than a narrow one, but it will be much better with a narrow one that stays sealed than a wide one that doesn't. I didn't do the ring mod, but if they're close this way I'll give that a shot to see if it makes a difference.

I tried spinfits, too, but they weren't large enough to keep the seal in my right ear (always the problem one).

If the westone's don't work, I also got a pair of decibullz bz-100 that I'll try... to say I'm skeptical of custom-molded tips for $25 would be a huge understatement, but it sounds like they've worked well for some others, even if it takes a couple of tries to get them just right.

If that fails, I think I'm down to using a plunger and an exacto knife to try to build something large enough for my ears...

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #1,459 of 1,524
After a while with extending the nozzles with the inside of a pair of comply tips (with the foam stripped off) and then putting large triple-flange tips on, I have still been having trouble keeping the seal intact while I'm drumming. I ordered a set of Sony hybrid tips (various sizes) but none seal well enough for me - I think it's due to large ear canals. I also got a multi-pack of westone true-fit and star tips, and I think perhaps the largest size of the star tips is actually going to do the trick... I've been satisfied with my listening so far. I'm playing this weekend, so will get a chance to try them out with motion and sweat thrown into the mix! They are narrow-bore (I couldn't actually get them stretched over, but my wife has a little more dexterity and got them on), but I didn't notice any unpleasant impact on the sound. And the bass may be better with a wide bore than a narrow one, but it will be much better with a narrow one that stays sealed than a wide one that doesn't. I didn't do the ring mod, but if they're close this way I'll give that a shot to see if it makes a difference.

I tried spinfits, too, but they weren't large enough to keep the seal in my right ear (always the problem one).

If the westone's don't work, I also got a pair of decibullz bz-100 that I'll try... to say I'm skeptical of custom-molded tips for $25 would be a huge understatement, but it sounds like they've worked well for some others, even if it takes a couple of tries to get them just right.

If that fails, I think I'm down to using a plunger and an exacto knife to try to build something large enough for my ears...

Do the ring mod but don't expect to have an isolation like Etymotic. They are average at best and not so suitable for using on stages I think.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,461 of 1,524
I was tip rolling with the IM50 until I noticed the right earpiece was missing the filter.Now Im worried earwax, dust or even ants can get inside the sound tube. What should I do?

If you have earbud foams just cut a small piece and put into the nozzle. That might help. The best filters are Re0/400 filters on IM50.

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,462 of 1,524
Does anybody else experiencing channel imbalance? Left channel for my IM50 is seem to be louder than the right aide and I often hear the vocalist voice on the left side than right side.

have you compared with other IEMs? I just recently foudn out my left ear is is slightly worse than right lol. can try the Audio test app for android .

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,463 of 1,524
Is there any way to make the cables more flexible? It's only been less than 2 months since I got my IM70 in-line cable and it's already starting to become stiff. I had an old one that started snapping.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #1,464 of 1,524
Is there any way to make the cables more flexible? It's only been less than 2 months since I got my IM70 in-line cable and it's already starting to become stiff. I had an old one that started snapping.
I would like to know if there is a way to prevent that as well. I have had my im50 for about 2 years and the cable has gotten super stiff and finally cracked a few days ago.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #1,465 of 1,524
I've tried many units of IM70 before and out of the box they all had varying consistency of the cable - very soft and flexible on some and fairly stiff on others. The cable from my second IM70 had cracked at the strain relief between the memory ear guides and the flexible part of the cable. The cable from my first one I left in a pile with other cables as it was starting to get pretty stiff after 4-5 months. I had to use it again when my new one broke down and it cracked shortly thereafter. I think the best thing to do is to keep it away from the cold which will definitely cause the coating to stiffen more. I'm not sure what can be done to undo the stiffness.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,466 of 1,524
Its been 6 months now so far so good I use them with my fiio e 18 or my Nexus 6p and they're the best ones I've ever had. The sound is Rich the separation is very good and the vocals are very clear male and female.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #1,468 of 1,524
Is there any way to get replacement filters for the IM50/70? Mine have gotten all sticky & loose

Better to get rid off them. :D Or a little bit pricey but Re0 /400 filters do fit.

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/res-bi-flange-filters.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back