Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Nov 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #621 of 1,524
I assume
  How is the fit with the IM50s? Would I be able to use them at the gym without the housing falling out of my ears?

I assume the IM70 is very similar but I only use mine for the gym out of all my iems. I find they have the most stable, least fiddly fit and the least cable noise for doing exercise. It helps that they're built so well .. both cable and housing are built like tanks.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #622 of 1,524
  I assume
I assume the IM70 is very similar but I only use mine for the gym out of all my iems. I find they have the most stable, least fiddly fit and the least cable noise for doing exercise. It helps that they're built so well .. both cable and housing are built like tanks.

Exactly the endorsement I was looking for. And from a fellow XBA-H3 owner!

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #623 of 1,524
H3 are super comfortable but certainly can't run with them. They're just not held in place secure enough for that sort of thing but IM70 I find for me fits really well and doesn't move around at all.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #624 of 1,524
  How is the fit with the IM50s? Would I be able to use them at the gym without the housing falling out of my ears?

You can easily get over the fit issues by this mod or Lunashops cable.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #625 of 1,524
  H3 are super comfortable but certainly can't run with them. They're just not held in place secure enough for that sort of thing but IM70 I find for me fits really well and doesn't move around at all.

Yeah, I love the XBA-H3s - they are my go to office audio device. And, just as you say, they are nearly useless for exercise duty. That's exactly why I've been using the Meelectronics M6s. Unfortunately, they are lacking in detail retrieval and, for that hour or so I am at the gym each morning, make me long for my XBA-H3s.

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #626 of 1,524
Just unboxed my very own pair of IM-70. Well all I can say is if it fits your ears, it shouldn't fall out during exercise.

hmm... hearing a lot of popping/static sound from mine though.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #627 of 1,524
  Just unboxed my very own pair of IM-70. Well all I can say is if it fits your ears, it shouldn't fall out during exercise.

hmm... hearing a lot of popping/static sound from mine though.

Is that while music is playing or not? I get that when music isn't playing and it has to do with the source and the sensitivity.

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #628 of 1,524

Is that while music is playing or not? I get that when music isn't playing and it has to do with the source and the sensitivity.

Yes, when music is playing. Listening to my Daft Punk and Massive attack album off my Macbook and hearing a fair bit of odd distortions and static noises during certain parts of the music. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #629 of 1,524
Wow... that certainly doesn't bear out in my experience. Listening to similar music though my MacBook sounds just fine. A file quality issue, maybe? Could you point out where they happen and in what songs? I'd like to see if it's a problem with the headphones in general or just your pair. 

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #630 of 1,524
  Wow... that certainly doesn't bear out in my experience. Listening to similar music though my MacBook sounds just fine. A file quality issue, maybe? Could you point out where they happen and in what songs? I'd like to see if it's a problem with the headphones in general or just your pair. 

Yeah file quality is what I'm suspecting but then again most of them are not 100% repeatable lol. Did some sweep test off them and they're fine. Funny that I don't hear them with my R1 though but they don't really bother me all that much.

But sure if you want. Lets see... Just some quick simple check

Massive attack - Angel clicks randomly from the kick drum parts at the start. Can't repeat that one at all but if I replay it often enough I hear a click coming from either left or right channel every once in a while.

(Edit: yeah Angel is totally random with the statics I ran the song on loop for a while now and sometimes it happens a lot, other times not at all. Just puzzled. It's particularly noticeable on this track because of the way it's played.)

Daft Punk -
1st second of Game of love, 1:00-1:10 has some unrepeatable (doesn't happen 100% but if I keep repeat that segment and loop it it happens every 2-3 play through) static that happens every now and then.
Motherboard 1:39 a prominent click from the right channel which I suspect is from file quality because that one was repeatable but there's some intermittent static present between 1:20-1:50 which are sometimes there and sometimes not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back