Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #586 of 1,524
If you listen to a bit of everything I'd probably go with the IM70. EDM and Jazz are more suited to it. I touch on the different genres it can handle in the review in my sig. Rock and metal are a tossup. GR07 has faster attack and decay, but IM70 is more natural. GR07 is a little lacking if you like bassier EDM, but 80's stuff sounds great through it. What are your current favorite IEMs?

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #587 of 1,524
  If you listen to a bit of everything I'd probably go with the IM70. EDM and Jazz are more suited to it. I touch on the different genres it can handle in the review in my sig. Rock and metal are a tossup. GR07 has faster attack and decay, but IM70 is more natural. GR07 is a little lacking if you like bassier EDM, but 80's stuff sounds great through it. What are your current favorite IEMs?

I haven't owned many IEMs but current fav will have to be Brainwavz R1. It's my second pair after Sennheiser CX-300 II.

Hated the bass bloat on the CX, Brainwavz R1 sounds way better by comparison but the built is just somewhat disappointing. I plan on giving them away to a relative of mine.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #591 of 1,524

Depends on your preferred sound signature. IM70 is more bassy and mid forward, while the GR07 is more neutral with a more exciting treble. IM70 has a more 3D presentation and natural sound, while GR07 is more 2D, but has great layering and texture. Both are great all arounders, but for me, I think the ATH wins out for durability, naturalness, and soundstage/image. I sold my GR07 in favor or the IM70, FWIW, but that doesn't mean that's right for you. What kinds of music do you listen to most often? 

hm, How are the ATH's treble though just generally speaking and not comparing it to GR07?

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #592 of 1,524
  hm, How are the ATH's treble though just generally speaking and not comparing it to GR07?

"
Treble is very detailed and extends well while remaining smooth and inoffensive. Like the rest of the signature, it never comes across as artificial and snare drums and cymbals sound uncannily realistic. Even in low bitrate recordings, sibilance rarely comes through and there is no treble fatigue. Coming from VSonic IEMs, the treble seemed overly smooth to me, but after the initial ear and brain adjustment period, I fell in love with it. Small details like pick scrapes, piano hammers, and cottonmouth come through clearly and bring a smile. 

"

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #593 of 1,524

"
Treble is very detailed and extends well while remaining smooth and inoffensive. Like the rest of the signature, it never comes across as artificial and snare drums and cymbals sound uncannily realistic. Even in low bitrate recordings, sibilance rarely comes through and there is no treble fatigue. Coming from VSonic IEMs, the treble seemed overly smooth to me, but after the initial ear and brain adjustment period, I fell in love with it. Small details like pick scrapes, piano hammers, and cottonmouth come through clearly and bring a smile. 

"

What is your favorite tips on IM70?

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #594 of 1,524
"
[COLOR=3B3B3B]Treble is very detailed and extends well while remaining smooth and inoffensive. Like the rest of the signature, it never comes across as artificial and snare drums and cymbals sound uncannily realistic. Even in low bitrate recordings, sibilance rarely comes through and there is no treble fatigue. Coming from VSonic IEMs, the treble seemed overly smooth to me, but after the initial ear and brain adjustment period, I fell in love with it. Small details like pick scrapes, piano hammers, and cottonmouth come through clearly and bring a smile. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=3B3B3B]

"[/COLOR]

I got my IM70 in the mail yesterday, and while I'm enjoying it, I found the bass to be slightly loose. Do you find things to be the same? Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful earphone, possibly the smoothest earphone I own, but that smoothness also masks over some of the finer details. Still, it's easy to listen to and fits my ears surprisingly well despite the reputation, although I could see many people having an issue with this given its long nozzle and large housing.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #595 of 1,524
I got my IM70 in the mail yesterday, and while I'm enjoying it, I found the bass to be slightly loose. Do you find things to be the same? Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful earphone, possibly the smoothest earphone I own, but that smoothness also masks over some of the finer details. Still, it's easy to listen to and fits my ears surprisingly well despite the reputation, although I could see many people having an issue with this given its long nozzle and large housing.

Are you enjoying it with stock tips?

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #597 of 1,524

Change to some wide bore tips as soon as possible.
wink.gif
 It is mentioned million times in these threads since stock tips are really awful and muffle the sound. At least you can try Sony hybrids or the best one for me was UE600 tips. You will be rewarded with a faster bass and cleaner sound across the frequency board.

Btw, I will be getting mine probably in two days. Very excited!

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #598 of 1,524
  Change to some wide bore tips as soon as possible.
wink.gif
 It is mentioned million times in these threads since stock tips are really awful and muffle the sound. At least you can try Sony hybrids or the best one for me was UE600 tips. You will be rewarded with a faster bass and cleaner sound across the frequency board.

Now it is mentioned 1000001th time huh 
deadhorse.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #599 of 1,524
Le sigh. My local store just ran out of their last unit of IM70s. Amazon delivery will not arrive until mid December if I'm lucky... though more likely than not be lost in the festive courier rush.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #600 of 1,524
Change to some wide bore tips as soon as possible. :wink:  It is mentioned million times in these threads since stock tips are really awful and muffle the sound. At least you can try Sony hybrids or the best one for me was UE600 tips. You will be rewarded with a faster bass and cleaner sound across the frequency board.

Thanks. Care to link me to some tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back