Audio-Technica ESW9A,same sound signature in full-size?
Sep 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

4khris

New Head-Fier
Hi Headfiers,any know if exist any full-size cans with the same sound signature like ESW9A?
Maybe the W1000? or W1000X.
Thx in advance.
L3000.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 9
The near exact same sound signature would be the Audio Technica W11JPN which vastly improves on the ESW10JPN. (practically the same signature. probably designed by the same person)

The W1000 on the other hand has less sub bass response making it more relaxed. The soundstage is much wider. Everything is also more crisp and detailed on the W1000. So far the W1000 on a tube amp is my most favorite combo that I have ever heard.

The W11JPN is excellent. The vocals are more upfront than the W1000 and everything is more lush sounding with more low end.

The W1000X seems to sound quite different from the W1000 FWIR. I heard it has very prominent low end, the treble is more emphasized, and has a more laid back midrange.

The Denon D7000 sounds VERY different from the ESW series. The mids are rather recessed in comparison to the upfront ESW mids.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 9
W1000x definitely has different sound signature than esw9, W1000 is closer sure. I think W1000 will really shine with tube amp, because after I test it with some SS amp (even Solo SRG II), I think there's still something "wrong" in treble area. This problem fixed with Yamamoto HA-02, the vocal is so beautiful and yummy 
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 9

The Denon D7000 sounds VERY different from the ESW series. The mids are rather recessed in comparison to the upfront ESW mids.

The Denon D7000 I've heard was Markl modded, and did not exhibit recessed mids. I compared it directly to my own ESW9 (which has an upgraded cable), and I was surprised at the similarity of tone. Of course the D7000 sound was fuller, but the ESW9 held its own quite well.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 9
WOW A Markl modded Denon can change a Denon to that degree is impressive. That's suddenly sparked some interest in me as I do recall the D7000 sounding quite different from the ESW series.

Quote:

The Denon D7000 I've heard was Markl modded, and did not exhibit recessed mids. I compared it directly to my own ESW9 (which has an upgraded cable), and I was surprised at the similarity of tone. Of course the D7000 sound was fuller, but the ESW9 held its own quite well.

@4khris: I've never tried the W1000 with that tube amp, but I know it has synergy with tube amps. The more powerful the tube amp, the better obviously. Without a tube amp, I would describe it as sounding like an  AKG K701 with slightly more mids and less treble. If you buy the W1000, I would recommend you use an equalizer to bring up the midbass signal a little to balance out the sound of the headphones.

If you like tubes and would like to venture further into tube amps, then I highly recommend the W1000 because I know they will keep continuing to improve. I honestly have not heard a better combination with my Woo Audio 6SE and W1000. Very natural upfront vocals, huge soundstage (everything is very very well separated), very high clarity in all the areas of the music. Some may find the low end to be lacking, but spending a few days with it will help you grow accustomed to the low end. It is definitely stronger than the low end in the AKG K701s. Extremely relaxing sound.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

@4khris: I've never tried the W1000 with that tube amp, but I know it has synergy with tube amps. The more powerful the tube amp, the better obviously. Without a tube amp, I would describe it as sounding like an  AKG K701 with slightly more mids and less treble. If you buy the W1000, I would recommend you use an equalizer to bring up the midbass signal a little to balance out the sound of the headphones.

If you like tubes and would like to venture further into tube amps, then I highly recommend the W1000 because I know they will keep continuing to improve. I honestly have not heard a better combination with my Woo Audio 6SE and W1000. Very natural upfront vocals, huge soundstage (everything is very very well separated), very high clarity in all the areas of the music. Some may find the low end to be lacking, but spending a few days with it will help you grow accustomed to the low end. It is definitely stronger than the low end in the AKG K701s. Extremely relaxing sound.

Thanks to @ll,Yes i like the tube amps,its fun rolling tubes,different sounds from m8100 to russian to m8161,im just new in that,the LA7000,D7000,W5000,are too price for me,at some point i want try a D2000,and add them the bubinga cups,i was surprised how well the asw9 done some life in to my music,im happy with the DT880,but after listen the AT,i think in add other closed can,to complete my rig
well maybe in the next moths some headfier wants to sell the W1000,and ship oversheas to spain
wink.gif

if some one have other recomendations,im listen.
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back