Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Feb 7, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #106 of 343

Yep http://www.amazon.com/Technica-Audiophile-ATH-AD2000X-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S32ZPI

I almost bought a pair but there really isn't much information on them for reviews and comparisons.

Perhaps you should buy it and give us some impressions 
rolleyes.gif

haha you don't want my reviewing anything.

"They sound great. Tight bass, open soundstage, eargasm 10/10" lol

Honestly, the main reason I dropped pushing the buy button were the AKG K7XX on massdrop. 200 bucks for those...I couldn't resist.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #107 of 343
Tried the M70x today. Only tried it for a very short while so here are my very brief impressions.

Setup used:
iBasso DX90J > ALO Audio The Green Line > ALO Audio The Continental V3 > Audio Technical M70x

It sounds totally different from the M50x and MSR7.
Overall, it has a clean, detailed and neutral sound.
It was also musical and enjoyable.
What I really like about them is that they have the level of refinement and polish that are found in high end cans.
As for the bass, it totally didn't inherit the M50x's bass. The bass was light and not very punchy.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #110 of 343
Tried the M70x today. Only tried it for a very short while so here are my very brief impressions.

Setup used:
iBasso DX90J > ALO Audio The Green Line > ALO Audio The Continental V3 > Audio Technical M70x

What I really like about them is that they have the level of refinement and polish that are found in high end cans.
As for the bass, it totally didn't inherit the M50x's bass. The bass was light and not very punchy.

how's the sound stage for the m70x?

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #111 of 343

Setup used:

Tx for the impression!
So M70x bass level is less than MSR7?

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #112 of 343
Someone's reddit impressions.

1. M70x: Seemed to be a major departure from the M50x. The headphone seems physically lighter. Less clamp. Bass less boosted and compressed. Audio Technica's "M" (which stands for monitor) actually sounds like a monitor for once. The M50x is the headphone you give to the drummer while the M70x is the headphone you give to the mixing engineer. (Mastering engineer gets the HD800). A respectable sound, I could potentially live with this. Catch is the price. While listening I assumed these would be marginally more expensive, low $200-ish. I get back and find out they'll be closer to 2x the price of the M50x. That's getting too close to the Senn HD6xx series which would spank this frickin' thing for anyone looking for a true look into their recordings.
  2. R70x: These did not impress me. Felt cheap. Bit grainy, lo-fi sounding. I think I was picking up on some bass distortion. I'll give these another chance under quieter conditions but at the quoted MSRP (even though AT's MSRPs are wildly inaccurate) I don't expect these to be much of a competitor.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #113 of 343
  Someone's reddit impressions.

1. M70x: Seemed to be a major departure from the M50x. The headphone seems physically lighter. Less clamp. Bass less boosted and compressed. Audio Technica's "M" (which stands for monitor) actually sounds like a monitor for once. The M50x is the headphone you give to the drummer while the M70x is the headphone you give to the mixing engineer. (Mastering engineer gets the HD800). A respectable sound, I could potentially live with this. Catch is the price. While listening I assumed these would be marginally more expensive, low $200-ish. I get back and find out they'll be closer to 2x the price of the M50x. That's getting too close to the Senn HD6xx series which would spank this frickin' thing for anyone looking for a true look into their recordings.
  2. R70x: These did not impress me. Felt cheap. Bit grainy, lo-fi sounding. I think I was picking up on some bass distortion. I'll give these another chance under quieter conditions but at the quoted MSRP (even though AT's MSRPs are wildly inaccurate) I don't expect these to be much of a competitor.

That's pretty disappointing. The R70x doesn't sound like an upgrade from the ATH series.  And personally, I like the bass on the 50x, although the fit isn't very comfortable.  Of course this is just one opinion, and we don't even know the source.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #115 of 343
Hmmm... I've always expected the M70x to be more of an M40x successor in terms of sound.

Also, that R70x impression gave me no idea whatsoever on its actual sound signature. Is it close to the AD-series or a more open-sounding M-series?

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #117 of 343
That's pretty disappointing. The R70x doesn't sound like an upgrade from the ATH series.  And personally, I like the bass on the 50x, although the fit isn't very comfortable.  Of course this is just one opinion, and we don't even know the source.

I don't want to diss the reddit guy but I'll take someone's opinion from headfi much more seriously :wink:

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #119 of 343
  lol why, the /r/headphones subreddit and headfi complement each other very well and generally speaking I find reddit more objective and accurate with opinions than headfi, where the hivemind just dominates most threads.

Seriously. After two years of not going on Headfi, popping my head back in recently, and seeing peoples' posts, it seems like things have only gotten worse. Or at least remained stagnant.

When I saw these headphones at NAMM it took me by surprise and I was actually really intrigued by the sound, so I decided to post in a thread like this for old times sake. I regret it a little bit, haha.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #120 of 343

Seriously. After two years of not going on Headfi, popping my head back in recently, and seeing peoples' posts, it seems like things have only gotten worse. Or at least remained stagnant.

When I saw these headphones at NAMM it took me by surprise and I was actually really intrigued by the sound, so I decided to post in a thread like this for old times sake. I regret it a little bit, haha.

Why regret it?  It benefits people to learn of new products.  We each need to decide for ourselves whether we like the sound of something or not, with our gear, with our music and source.  I don't think most people would purchase or not purchase just based on listening impression of just a few members of head-fi.  I find impressions interesting and of some value, but get what I consider more valuable information about things like build quality, earcup size and construction, etc.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back