Audio Technica CKM70 vs Radius TWF11R [REVIEW]
Oct 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 28
Lol, you must really like the DDMs then.

I think the current DDMs are OK, if a little unwieldy looking, but those new ones look impossible to sleep in. The knob that sticks out looks completely unnecessary.

If they don't phase out the current DDMs, maybe I'll get them when they reduce the price.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:

I think the current DDMs are OK, if a little unwieldy looking, but those new ones look impossible to sleep in. The knob that sticks out looks completely unnecessary.

If they don't phase out the current DDMs, maybe I'll get them when they reduce the price.

DDM are among best sounding in ear headphones on the market. (with $200 US price range).
I have auditioned quite a few IEMs and DDM stand out,. Now if you have 300US budget, you can go for a slightly higher end from FAD, it is called Heaven A1. I have not heard them it yet but I sure hope will soon.

By the way Japanese stuff will keep on costing more from now on, due to US dollar vs Japanese Yen disastrous exchange rate. Dollar has collapsed from 94 yen to 80 Yen per 1 USD.

So do not expect the prices to go down, they are already going up. You must still be able to grab an OEM version from MusicaAcoustics for cheap lol...

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:

The "old" ones are uncomfortable for sleeping as well. The new design is even bigger and uglier, but it should provide a better fit for most people. Besides, if they manage to improve the TWF11R shortcomings with the TWF21R, we will get a really high end sounding iem.

As a rule though, you shouldn't expect good designing decisions from small Japanese  audiophile companies, they all have a very bad track record
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 28
I've read so much about the DDMs I was almost set on getting a pair to go with my RE0's. They seem so... mysterious somehow. Plus they're Japanese!

Unfortunately, I just got a good deal on some Panasonic HJE900s that I also wanted and I really can't justify a 3rd pair right now, however much I want them (I only just got the RE0's). It does mean that now that I have two comfortable pairs that I can get some phones purely for SQ...

On that note, comparing the 11r to the 21r, I read in the DDM appreciation thread that the 21's have less bass and more treble. From what I've read, the 11's are a little lacking in treble but have maybe a little too much bass. So yeah, it seems like the new DDM's will sound awesome. Will they be priced the same as the current?

P.S. SkiesofAzel, it's probably been said, but you have cute little pixie ears! 
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #20 of 28
@Showa They are pretty alluring aren't they? They still give me the chills listening to them for all their flaws. I don't think they have too much bass with the right tips, though with the wrong tips they can be overwhelming.

And yes, Skies has awesome ears. I don't think the comparison to pixies has been drawn here though.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
P.S. SkiesofAzel, it's probably been said, but you have cute little pixie ears! 
tongue.gif

I am cute all over, in truth the pics were there for the ladies, the fit demonstration was just a pretext. What troubles me a little is that i've been constantly getting compliments from guys here
confused_face.gif
Quote:
And yes, Skies has awesome ears. I don't think the comparison to pixies has been drawn here though.

I think it's finally time someone starts an appreciation thread.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 28

Quote:

I am cute all over, in truth the pics were there for the ladies, the fit demonstration was just a pretext. What troubles me a little is that i've been constantly getting compliments from guys here
confused_face.gif

I think it's finally time someone starts an appreciation thread.

Oh baby, your auricle is so fine. 

Actually, I don't mean to make a presumption, but based on my general impression, this is the wrong sort of crowd to be flexing your ears for the ladies. Apart from one or two members I can think of, I don't know any regular female members of this particular part of the forum. I'm actually not even sure if Showa is male or female haha (anime avatars are all kinds of ambiguous) - so maybe you can put that pixie comment in both columns for now.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Oh baby, your auricle is so fine. 

Actually, I don't mean to make a presumption, but based on my general impression, this is the wrong sort of crowd to be flexing your ears for the ladies. Apart from one or two members I can think of, I don't know any regular female members of this particular part of the forum. I'm actually not even sure if Showa is male or female haha (anime avatars are all kinds of ambiguous) - so maybe you can put that pixie comment in both columns for now.

Well i had to test the water, you can't really blame me for trying... I will have to reevaluate my plans to include shirtless pics of mine in my next review though. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #24 of 28
@SkiesOfAzel: an expertly and well written review, thanks for your effort! And sorry for having overlooked it in the first place, while I was on vacation. It's a nice touch to compare a pair of very recent FOTM IEMs to the CKM70, which are pretty much the opposite in popularity. Oh and glad you like the CKM70 that much.

Speaking of vacation, I had a lot of time to try various tips with the DDMs and have gotten amazing results. Turned out they have the best balanced sound to my ears with Sony Hybrids 2 sizes smaller than my usual tips, providing only extremely low seal. After a lot of experimenting I ended up trimming the Hybrid's stems so they sit almost flush with the nozzle. Yet it was worth it, because the DDMs sound almost as good now as my FX700, with maybe even slightly better soundstage.

Compared to how bass bloated and treble lacking they appeared when I wore them sealed, it's incredible what a difference tips can make. And thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
smile_phones.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
@SkiesOfAzel: an expertly and well written review, thanks for your effort! And sorry for having overlooked it in the first place, while I was on vacation. It's a nice touch to compare a pair of very recent FOTM IEMs to the CKM70, which are pretty much the opposite in popularity. Oh and glad you like the CKM70 that much.

I am certainly no expert but thanks for your kind words:). And yes, i really like the CKM70s mainly because they are very well rounded, and although some dislike the middle road, i like the fact that those silver lookers are good with every genre i've listened through them. 

Quote:
Speaking of vacation, I had a lot of time to try various tips with the DDMs and have gotten amazing results. Turned out they have the best balanced sound to my ears with Sony Hybrids 2 sizes smaller than my usual tips, providing only extremely low seal. After a lot of experimenting I ended up trimming the Hybrid's stems so they sit almost flush with the nozzle. Yet it was worth it, because the DDMs sound almost as good now as my FX700, with maybe even slightly better soundstage.

Any pics of your mod? I must say it sounds interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #28 of 28

SkiesOfAzel said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

To tell you the truth, the CKM70 was almost exactly what i was looking for in an iem when i came here to ask for advice, flat, balanced, reasonable bass, good detail without being harsh and very good resolution. In one word (okay, maybe two
tongue_smile.gif
) an all arounder. Still, i am glad i took your advice and got the DDM, it might not be exactly what i had in mind, but it managed to exceed some of my expectations in the long run.

The TWF21R already sounds more to my liking, less bass, more treble, bigger soundstage and even better mids. If they manage to increase the dynamic range and resolution with the new model, i will get them even if i have to use superglue to secure them in my ears.

Thanks for your explanation! It's quite useful, It helps me out of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back