Audio Technica ATK-PRO700MK2 Defective Issues
Sep 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonesy827

New Head-Fier
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading here for a few weeks. I ordered the PRO700MK2's from Amazon after reading about them here, and listening to my buddy's pair of PRO700 SV's. I assumed since the specifications are exactly the same I would get similar bass response. Unfortunately he lives out of town and I can't test them side by side at this time.

The problem was that I was not hearing much quantity of bass. It was definitely there, but was much weaker than my friend's pair of SV's.

Well, after listening for a few days and playing some pink noise for a few nights, I started to notice some distortion from the right driver on high notes. I thought I was just going crazy but I listened to Dosed by Red Hot Chili Peppers today and it was clear that I had a defective pair. I'm getting a new one overnighted from Amazon tonight, but I wanted to see if you guys thought that the lack of quantity of bass was due to the defective driver, or just me?

I'm not an experienced audiophile, especially when it comes to headphones, but I can definitely hear this distortion, though light as it may be.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Probably defective, or you're just using songs that have small amounts of bass to begin with. Load up audacity and play some 30hz or 40hz sine waves. If it can do it and not fall apart, it's doing bass like it should. If it clips or sounds awful, return it (well, you already are, so that's a moot point).

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Wow, thanks for the tip there. The right side is totally distorted, while the left sounds clean.

Glad I'm returning them and they were so generous with their return policy!

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the tip there. The right side is totally distorted, while the left sounds clean.

Glad I'm returning them and they were so generous with their return policy!

Amazon is boss with returns (so long as it's Amazon and not a third party store with their own policy, but I avoid buying from them).

Very best,

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Hey guys !!

Sorry to bring this thread out from the dead, but I just got my own Pro700MK2 and.... I'm quite dissapointed... but I'm pretty sure I have a defective pair. Of course, before returning them I just wanted to make sure with you guys I'm not crazy (plus, here in Canada it's almost impossible to listen to a demo pair of these.. so no way for me to compare apples with apples.

Of course, I just got them, so no breaking in yet.

The setup :
- Ipod EQ Off
- iBasso T3 both gains on.
- Song : Any dubstep file I got
- Headphones : AT Pro700Mk2 and AKG K518LE

Results : Both sound ok, no clipping or distortion... but I seem to have little to no bass with the Pro700Mk2 where as with the AKG, bass isn't outstanding, but certainly more present than with the Pro700Mk2. Best described as... no shaking or buzz involved with the AT but the AKG do make my ears buzz to the bass.

With all the reviews saying that the Pro700Mk2 are intense in terms of bass; it isn't normal that I get much more bass from my little K518 LE on this setup right ?
I did the Audacity freq tone test, with 30 and 40Hz and I could hear a tone, but not feel it like you normally feel bass in your ears.
So if anyone could help me with this, that would make me very happy (before I send these back) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back