Audio Technica ATH-WS1100 Solid Bass Headphone first impressions from an amateur
Nov 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

discoprince

New Head-Fier

*I am not a reviewer, in fact, This is the first review I have ever done of anything; I am just that smitten with these headphones.

First impressions!

Out of the box, first thing I noticed was that they were light. This is a plus when they are on your head but sometimes it is nice to have some solidity and weightier materials. Not because I want heavier headphones, but because premium materials that offer durability are often heavier by default (unless we are talking carbon fiber or magnesium; both of which are spendy). The headphones are predominately plastic with the exception of the internals, and the headband strap. The housings and hinges are plastic. The construction is fine however, they likely used materials to keep the cost down. If these were constructed from genuine leather and magnesium or aluminum, while sounding the way they do, they would be $400 - $500 headphones. These were $275 for me from Japan and they can be had on eBay for around the 275 – 300 mark from a couple of sellers. Worth it.

I thought I may use this as a new pair of DJ headphones but they won’t be good headphones for Djing partly because of the build quality (which again, is fine, just not extra durable). The other reason I can’t use these as DJ headphones is the cable. The cable is thin and short (designed of course for easy portable use). Oh well. I have replaced it with an aftermarket mediabridge cable and it’s a better length for me and feels much sturdier. Both cables sound the same because I don’t think cables make a difference in sound quality to my ears, but I still like upgraded cables because of the feel and look (yes, that’s right, I want a good looking cable!).

Disclaimer: My ear may not be as nuanced as yours. Many ultra high-end headphones sound the same to me, I don’t feel cables make a difference and I don’t use music to listen to my gear (which is totally fine, I love new shiny things as much as the next person); I use my gear to listen to music. I like old cassette tapes and electronic music that sounds like it was produced in a dirty basement in 1989. However, I also love Jazz and classical and can listen critically when I want to. Anyways, On with it…

As for the sound, they sound sensational. I like AT headphones, I have an
M-50, PRO-700MK2ANV and an MSR7, which sadly is not here right now for direct comparison. I expected a pronounced V-shape and was prepared for boomy BASS but this is not so. The bass extension is exceptional and the mid-bass is controlled. They sound, to me, like a better-tuned M-50 with better bass and cleaner mids and highs. I listened first to some rap and house music on spotify directly out of my phone as I thought this is where they would shine and they sounded pretty good. They really surprised me however, once I fed them some higher quality music files through my Audioquest dragonfly 1.2. Herbie Hancock’s Maiden Voyage (FLAC) played through Fidelia music player sounded really sensational. So did Herbie’s “Death Wish” soundtrack. The album I listened to twice fully already? Steely Dan’s Aja. Aja is a masterpiece from a production standpoint and the WS-1100 captured most of its impact, but many higher-priced and open-back cans will provide a predictably better soundstage. The soundstage is totally good here, just not jaw-dropping.

This brings me to my next point: these are BARELY closed headphones. There are vents in the housing that leak sound, so they can be considered semi-open, but according to AT they are closed. There is considerable sound leakage at moderate volumes. The girlfriend test resulted in bae hearing the music at medium volume sitting on the other side of my dining room table. I would not want to use these on a busy train or bus. Plus they are big and they don’t fold up.

In summary: The WS-1100 is pretty darn good and worth a couple hundred bucks no problem. If you are looking for wide-open soundstage at this price maybe get a Fidelio X2, but surprisingly, the WS-1100 shines with all types of music while giving you that deep bass some of us crave.

-Corry

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 84
Aaaawwww!! :frowning2:

I was looking forward to listening to these but leakage sucks!
They look comfy and well built.

Thanks for your impressions!

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 84
Awesome that you got these so soon and posted your thoughts.

A question about the bass. How does it compare to the pro700mk2 which are pretty bass heavy? Can you amp and EQ the WS1100 for even more bass?

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 84
Awesome that you got these so soon and posted your thoughts.

A question about the bass. How does it compare to the pro700mk2 which are pretty bass heavy? Can you amp and EQ the WS1100 for even more bass?

I would say the bass is better quality in these than the 700MK2. Not more, just better. Tried EQing using the EQ on fidelity audio and You can really only mess with the bass a bit before it gets sloppy. These may benefit from very subtle EQing but I wouldn't mess with it too much. Keep the EQ flat and let the headphones do as they do. Results may be vastly different depending on your DAC, AMP and EQ. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 84
How would they compare to V-Moda M100?

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 84
  How would they compare to V-Moda M100?

I can't really comment on the sound, I have only heard the M100 briefly. I can say these are far more comfortable on my slightly larger head than the M100. If I remember correctly, they sound similar, but I would bet the WS-1100 is slightly more neutral given the semi-open nature, while the M100 is noticeably emphasized in mid bass and treble. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 84
Nice pictures and review.

Wonderful headphones.  The first Audio Technica headphones I owned that used their standard headphone look but actually had a comfortable non-clamping headband and great ear pads.  Great sound across the board...a good bass for the songs that need it.  More about quality than quantity.  It's a basshead headphone with clarity and well represented across the entire sound spectrum.  I do wish it took to eq-ing better.  

The Pro700mk2 is much bassier, even without eq'ing.  It sounds darker/more congested.  Mids are highly scooped out.  Treble recessed.  But....with amp & eq'ing it can be a bass cannon.  It's extreme basshead level.  But the clarity is not there.  So it's the usual more bass, less balance (Pro700) or less bass and more balance (ws1100).  Also the Pro700mk2 has awful shallow pads and vice-like clamping headband.

What I'd love...is if there is a place to find the WS1100 earpads.  They are unique, I've never seen them on headphones before.  I'd love to try them on some of my headphones that they'd fit on.  They feel awesome.  If anyone knows of a place where those WS1100 angled ear pads are available.  Let me know.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 84
Could someone please measure the dimensions of the earpads? I'm interested in outer and inner height, width and depth to make sure my ears will fit in. Thank!

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 84
It will be interesting if somebody could compare this to the M100.

I once had a XB700 from Sony, which is nothing fancy but I liked how it sounded with Cowon's BBE settings, it had a nice clarity and good but not too overwhelming bass, although it lacked a bit of the mids it was pretty good for the money. The build quality wasn't great and one time the cable got stuck and the right side stopped working. I bought another one but surprisingly it didn't sound the same at all. The first one my friend brought from Japan and the second one my parents brought in the US and I was very disappointed by the difference, it didn't have the same spacial bass.

Anyway, it has been some years and in the meanwhile I have only used a monitor headphone (Audio Technica ATH-M50) but I still want one more bass heavy, but balanced one, as I liked the M50 I have my eyes on this ATH-WS1100 and the V-Moda M100, so I'll wait a bit and I'm pretty sure there will be some comparisons in the future.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 84

Thank you very much! Sure helps, it seems that they have smaller pad openings than M50's and M70's then, they look quite a bit bigger on pictures.

Well to my eyes, the WS1100 are clearly larger although I have the M50x not sure if the pads are different.  Otherwise maybe I somehow screwed up the measurements.  I'm sorry, if so.  The inner section isn't easy to measure, if I had one of those thin cloth type tape measurers, maybe it would be easy.  But I had to make due with a ruler and a metal tape measurer.  It's also not easy to measure the WS1100 because the dual padding causes a slant, making it hard to see or position the ruler properly.  Then see where it is actually cutting off inside. I will say that they are deeper, taller and wider than the m50.  Sorry about the confusion. 

Hopefully someone can help you out and get it right. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 84
I didn't think it was that bassy when I tried it. Considerably warmer sounding than the MSR7 or M50 and seemed muddy at first glance though details are still pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back