Audio Technica ATH-WS1100 Solid Bass Headphone first impressions from an amateur
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #77 of 84
onitafmw55
Your "Also I'd love a headphone that was perfect, it's not going to happen. Even $1500+ headphones are not perfect. Something has to give. If you want a decent amount of bass. You do have give up a little clarity. It's only natural. Sub-bass monsters tend to be dark, lack clarity". I had a chance to demo Sony's newest flagship, Sony MDR Z1R, and I daresay it IS the Summit fi class headphone you've been looking for. It has the perfected form of the 70mm driver the XB1000 has, and a lot more innovation packed into one of the best build headphone ever, you should check it out :)

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #78 of 84

Thanks for the reply!

I'm originally going to buy X2, but got deal for WS1100 from my friend at about $190 (X2 is about $50 more).
Sure enough I miss open headphone and I think the bass is (a bit) too much or too intrusive, and then I'm rethinking of buying X2.
But I feel like the sound of WS1100 is really clear/not grainy (dunno the term, I'm newbie) and that's fantastic.
I'm worry if X2 will be grainier (can't A-B them quickly since they're sold/distributed by different shops).

So, assuming they're on the same class, according to you, is it worth to 'upgrade' to X2?

I think sound is so very subjective.  Not just the headphone but the person's own listening preferences.  Everything is subjective.  Even the details of any particular headphone are subjective.  I prefer to give information over opinion.  I also prefer to base my opinions on comparisons.  This way people who might own it, can judge off their own personal taste.  It's not a perfect science by any means.  It's the best way to give people an idea of what something sounds like next to actually listening to it for yourself.  Since you said you're new, I wanted to add that.  Some people on here and elsewhere act like an expert of what good and bad sound is.  Headphones have such different sound signatures.  It's not so much about good or bad.  It's about what type of sound are you into and what headphone can help you to find that style of sound. 

To be clear, I no longer have the ws1100, X1 or X2 anymore.  So this is based on my memory.  Of course nothing beats having something in my hands to listen to and examine every detail.  On the other hand, A memory is better than never having heard it. 

My experience with both X1 and X2 was they were less bassy than the WS1100 and clearer overall.  Obviously both were slightly more airy, they are open.  Better soundstage, basically everything you'd expect from an open headphone.  I do believe the X2 to be a tad grainy in the highs.  Not enough that it bothered me but that's my personal take on it.  I don't really hear it in the ws1100 treble although the ws1100 have more treble than the Philips to my ears.  That's fairly typical of AT headphones.  They love treble over there.  There is an X2 thread on here, if you'd prefer to read that.  They may even have some alternatives on there for you too.  Different headphones in the same vein.

I know it's been awhile since you made the post, I've been away.  So if you already found what you were looking for, great.  If not, I hope you do.  I hope what I said does something for you.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #79 of 84
@onitafmw55
Your "Also I'd love a headphone that was perfect, it's not going to happen. Even $1500+ headphones are not perfect. Something has to give. If you want a decent amount of bass. You do have give up a little clarity. It's only natural. Sub-bass monsters tend to be dark, lack clarity". I had a chance to demo Sony's newest flagship, Sony MDR Z1R, and I daresay it IS the Summit fi class headphone you've been looking for. It has the perfected form of the 70mm driver the XB1000 has, and a lot more innovation packed into one of the best build headphone ever, you should check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info.  I'd love to hear it, sounds great.  I've chilled out on the headphone buying a bit, some financial issues.  Where I am located, there is only Skullcandy, Bose and Beats in Walmarts and Targets to demo.  I wish I was near a place that had some really high end stuff.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #80 of 84
  do you guys know if ath-ws1100is would be driven well by a  schiit Fulla2 

I didn't own a ws1100is.  Just the ws1100 which didn't have wire controls.  Which is probably the only difference I assume.  I can tell you the ws1100 handled really well even without an amp.  So I'd think that amp would be more than fine. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #81 of 84
hey new to audio, i'm not an audiophile, this is will be my first headphone.
is ws1100is good for gaming and listening music? i want closed back headphone for gaming fps and listening music, since i will bring my headphone outside too.
compare to beyer dt770, which one do you choose for gaming and music?
sorry if my english bad

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #82 of 84
Ah, it Ok, such a huge purchase like over $1500 should be taken only with a stable ground on your feet to stand on. It is still just a hobby don't want it to make more trouble in your life.
Do you say your taste still gravitate toward the same signature you had when you first comment in this thread?

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #83 of 84
hey new to audio, i'm not an audiophile, this is will be my first headphone.
is ws1100is good for gaming and listening music? i want closed back headphone for gaming fps and listening music, since i will bring my headphone outside too.
compare to beyer dt770, which one do you choose for gaming and music?
sorry if my english bad
i just bought these.

to find out build quality (durability) of a headphone go on amazon.com and look at what percentage of headphones have 1 star or 2 star reviews. also, click on the 1 or 2 star reviews and if you see ALOT of users liking a comment about lack of durability, then you know its not gonna last. there are alot of cheaply made headphones out there that will break after a few months or a year or 2.

for example, i do not recommend the sony xb950 because they have bad durability as you can see on amazon.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #84 of 84
not enough bass on mp3 players.

with an amp + mp3 player, then depending on the genre they have enough bass.

with a fiio e17k amp on 10db + bass boost they have enough bass for anything im guessing.

before you buy bass headphones, you should buy the fiio e17k portable amp for its bass boost. i find the problem with getting enough bass is the amp more than anything because i had hd500s and bass boosting it on amps gave it alot of bass

i think these are the best built bass headphones you can get for this price. the vmoda 100s are second. stay away from the sonys and crushers because as you can see in the 1 star reviews (and on youtube in sonys case LOL) the headphones break easily.

i got these on sale so there was no question i was gonna buy these over the v modas.

i docked a point because you have to bass boost these with an amp (i prefer to not have to equalize anything and have no amp).
if you buy an amp that does 3db of bass boost, that wont be enough depending on the genre.

they are easy to power in terms of volume: i have my cd player at 1/4 volume in my house, and my sony mp3 at 1/3 volume.

they creak a little when walking.

they are semi open because of the vents on sides and top / bottom, and you can hear cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back