Audio Technica ATH-WS1100 Solid Bass Headphone first impressions from an amateur
May 1, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #47 of 84
  Can you compare WS1100 vs Oppo PM-3 ? I plan to buy PM-3 but with the same price I can get WS1100 + 200$ DAC/Amp. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I actually had the pm-3 for the loaner program and I own the WS1100.  They are quite different.  Honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin.  They are both decent for their price range.  I had both the pm1 and the pm3.  I even overlapped during the loaner program and I was able to a/b them a little bit.  I can clearly say, I was not a fan of the pm3 thogh it's not bad.  Thing is I loved the pm1.  Loved it.  It made every song I put through it (I listen to nearly every genre, good recordings to bad recordings, loud recordings to quiet recordings), it made everything sound better than any headphone I own.  If I had the money, I'd own a PM1.  Literally there wasn't a song I owned that didn't sparkle through the pm1.  I loved it, my issue is while the pm3 had the same core sound.  It removed everything that made the pm1 so special.  Not all songs sounded good through it.  It was congested and lacked a soundstage.  Of course pm1 vs pm3 is like what $400 vs $1000.  So yea, one should expect a notable drop in sound quality.  I just felt I had headphones $200-300 that were on par or in some aspects better than pm3.  But pm1, that blew everything I had away. 

This is already too long, I can't really without writing a book, explain every thing that was different.  But pm3 and ws1100 are two very different animals in so many ways.  I will say I think the pm3 is more comfortable.  Both oppos I had were amazingly comfortable.  As far as sound, the oppo's had a thicker sound.  More mids.  More accurate and balanced.  Although I don't think it's extreme in the ws1100 range.  Audio Technica had that slight push in the treble region.  It's sort of their trademark.  Historically, most of their headphones, bassy or not have a good amount of treble.  pms were more honest and accurate while the ws1100's although warmer and slightly bass emphasized also have a slight treble boost.  I can only define it as that typical audio technica sound.  The ws1100 I think has a better soundstage.  The pm3s to may ears just did not have much.  Because of the better mids in the pm3s though, the pm3s have a thicker and fuller sound.  Despite being Planars, the pm3s actually are easier to drive than the ws1100's.  Neither are hard to drive but usually dynamic headphones win that war.  Oppo is apparently the one brand that is an efficient planar magnetic.  So they can be pushed very easily.  If that matters to you.

So I'll stop there, since I already went too long, if you want to know something more specific, just ask.  But pm3/ws1100 two headphones, quite a bit different. 

May 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #48 of 84
Historically, most of their headphones, bassy or not have a good amount of treble.

How do the WS1100 compare to the Audio Technica ATH-R70x (you - or anyone who has heard both)? I have those, my favorite open cans. Similar sub bass roll off as Sennheiser HD650, similar flat, honest mids, but a bit more high end, and fuller low end.

May 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #49 of 84
How do the WS1100 compare to the Audio Technica ATH-R70x (you - or anyone who has heard both)? I have those, my favorite open cans. Similar sub bass roll off as Sennheiser HD650, similar flat, honest mids, but a bit more high end, and fuller low end.

I cant compare...never heard r70x. Hopefully one day. Anyway, There is a gentle sub bass roll off of ws1100. There was a thread, i forget where, that mentioned the exact freq it starts. The ws1100 are a warmer, ever so gently bass emphasized headphone. They are not extreme anything. I would further say they dont excel in any one department either. I think their ultimate goal is to try and do everything fairly well and be a top of the line warm audio technica headphone. They do follow some typical habits of warm bassier headphones. Slight mid range scoop out. Its well done, gentle. Its not obnoxious but If your looking for relatively flat or boosted mids...ws1100 is not that. Mids are better done than many other "bass oriented" headphones. Still has some missing though. I've never heard the Sennheiser hd650. I did hear the Sennheiser hd600 though. Most A.T. headphones in my experience, what ive heard are aggressive. Though these are less aggressive than the normal A.T. They still are way more aggressive to me than hd600 which I found very laid back. Also very neutral. These are not neutral. Warm for sure. Treble quantity is very good....its not as much as the usual A.T. headphone but A.T's typically have alot. So not as much in this case is, to my taste, just right.

Sorry I couldnt compare the two you wanted, hope someone else can help you out.

May 6, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #50 of 84

I actually had the pm-3 for the loaner program and I own the WS1100.  They are quite different.  Honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin.  They are both decent for their price range.  I had both the pm1 and the pm3.  I even overlapped during the loaner program and I was able to a/b them a little bit.  I can clearly say, I was not a fan of the pm3 thogh it's not bad.  Thing is I loved the pm1.  Loved it.  It made every song I put through it (I listen to nearly every genre, good recordings to bad recordings, loud recordings to quiet recordings), it made everything sound better than any headphone I own.  If I had the money, I'd own a PM1.  Literally there wasn't a song I owned that didn't sparkle through the pm1.  I loved it, my issue is while the pm3 had the same core sound.  It removed everything that made the pm1 so special.  Not all songs sounded good through it.  It was congested and lacked a soundstage.  Of course pm1 vs pm3 is like what $400 vs $1000.  So yea, one should expect a notable drop in sound quality.  I just felt I had headphones $200-300 that were on par or in some aspects better than pm3.  But pm1, that blew everything I had away. 

This is already too long, I can't really without writing a book, explain every thing that was different.  But pm3 and ws1100 are two very different animals in so many ways.  I will say I think the pm3 is more comfortable.  Both oppos I had were amazingly comfortable.  As far as sound, the oppo's had a thicker sound.  More mids.  More accurate and balanced.  Although I don't think it's extreme in the ws1100 range.  Audio Technica had that slight push in the treble region.  It's sort of their trademark.  Historically, most of their headphones, bassy or not have a good amount of treble.  pms were more honest and accurate while the ws1100's although warmer and slightly bass emphasized also have a slight treble boost.  I can only define it as that typical audio technica sound.  The ws1100 I think has a better soundstage.  The pm3s to may ears just did not have much.  Because of the better mids in the pm3s though, the pm3s have a thicker and fuller sound.  Despite being Planars, the pm3s actually are easier to drive than the ws1100's.  Neither are hard to drive but usually dynamic headphones win that war.  Oppo is apparently the one brand that is an efficient planar magnetic.  So they can be pushed very easily.  If that matters to you.

So I'll stop there, since I already went too long, if you want to know something more specific, just ask.  But pm3/ws1100 two headphones, quite a bit different. 

Thank you for your explanation, so in term of the detail can WS1100 go toe to toe with PM-3? and which one has the better bass quality?
I have tried the famous MSR7 and feel like the sound is too bright, does the WS1100 have the same sound signature of MSR7? 
My music source mostly comes from AAC iTunes, and 320MP3.I don't have any DSD or some higher format for the source, which do you suggest me to buy WS1100 or PM3?

That are a lot of questions, so really appreciate if you don't mind to asnwer.

May 7, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #51 of 84
  Thank you for your explanation, so in term of the detail can WS1100 go toe to toe with PM-3? and which one has the better bass quality?
I have tried the famous MSR7 and feel like the sound is too bright, does the WS1100 have the same sound signature of MSR7? 
My music source mostly comes from AAC iTunes, and 320MP3.I don't have any DSD or some higher format for the source, which do you suggest me to buy WS1100 or PM3?

That are a lot of questions, so really appreciate if you don't mind to asnwer.

Hello,
I don't have the msr7 either.  The Audio Technica's I do have or had, were generally neutral or a bit bright.  The ws1100 is more to the warm side, really one of the few series that AT does that is to the warm side.  The "Solid Bass" series.  I think despite that, there is a bit more treble than your average warm headphone.  Almost like, despite being warmer, they still had to inject some of their trademark treble into the mix.  It's not extreme, in my opinion.  It's certainly more subdued compared to every other AT I've ever heard.  But...there is still plenty of it in comparison to your average warm headphone. 

I think for detail, although I don't think the pm3 is the best detail headphone I have or have heard.  I think pure detail between the two.  PM3 wins.  PM3 is a stripped down, closed PM1.  For me, it loses a lot of the magic that PM1 has.  But....it's still very good for the price.  It is a planar magnetic.  There is some advantages to that vs. a dynamic driver like the ws1100.  Definitely, mids are better on pm3 compared to ws1100.  If I name drop just one extra headphone for detail, you want a detail heavy headphone for a nice price.  Fostex T50RP MKIII.  Planar Magnetic.  They usually are never more than $169.99 and you can get them cheaper often on sale.  The new mkIII revision is fantastic and much better than the old versions.  The sound stage is solid, overall sound quality is neutral (maybe slightly to the warm side but only a little).  Very good mids  But where they shine is in detail.  You'll hear for better or worse, every flaw that recording has.  You'll stop songs mid way, assuming either your song skipped or your headphone is shorting out.  Only to find out, no, that recording has a pop or defect that you couldn't hear on other headphones.  The detail is incredible, I can't stress it enough, I hear things I wouldn't hear on $300+ headphones on those things....$170 is way below what it usually costs to get a headphone that can handle detail that well.  Unfortunately, that is a very hard headphone to drive.  It claims to be only 50ohms but it feels more like 150ohms. 

They both play good quality compressed media well.  So iTunes and 320k mp3 should sound fine on both. 

They are very different headphones, to compare them is almost unfair.  It really depends on your taste.  If we just take those two headphones, forget about anything else.  If someone said, give me a headphone that plays everything well.  Despite my qualms with PM3.  I'd say PM3.  ws1100 is the classy man's bass enhanced headphone.  It only boosts songs that clearly are bass boosted to begin with.  It's subtle, it tries to have a good overall sound.  I think it has a better soundstage.  That's one thing I thought was very average with the pm3.  Below average even for the price.  Yet overall sonically, I think the pm3 does everything justice, does a good job.  No matter what you listen to.  Unlike the pm1, I don't think it makes song sound amazingly better.  But it does justice, it's high quality.  All oppo's are easy to drive.  I would actually say ws1100 is a little harder to drive, not by much.  If I sound indecisive, it's only because, they are so different.  Both are good in their own way.  I've made my thoughts on the pm1 vs pm3 clear.  But pm3 is still a great headphone. 

If I can muddy the waters further.....I think both the ws1100 and pm3 are overpriced for what you get.  Mind you I really enjoy owning the ws1100.  But if I'm to be fair, they cost a lot of money.  Most of which is importation that you are paying for.  I think they are really $199.99 headphones at best.  Not more than that.  As far as pm3, that's what I think $399.99.  I think they are about $299.99 at best.  I think they are both overpriced. 

May 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #52 of 84
I am starting to think the WS1100 could be a closed back brother of the open back ATH-R70x. Those (especially with upgraded OCC cable, all burned in) are warm but not overly so. They have good detail (slightly better than Senn HD650) and reach a bit lower, with better mid / upper bass and low mids, giving it a fuller sound vs. the HD650. They are among the best for bass extension for open backs under $500. I like detail but have unusually sensitive ears so warmer cans give me plenty. Folks who love cans for "detail" and complain about the slightest bass boost are on the other side of the spectrum, from me. I want to hear the WS1100, if it ever gets to America. Especially given how nice the ear pads on these look.

May 25, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #53 of 84
If you ever get a pair, share comparisons. Interesting to see how they are compared to that series.

It would be great if A.T. brought these stateside. It would bring the price down and bring previous models prices further down. Plus it would just be easier to buy.

Its a funny thing....the sound sig of these are more appealing to the masses than most A.T. phones. Despite these being "classy" in their sound. They still don't appeal to audiophiles, interest on this site is low. The A.T. hardcore user, usual prefers their more neutral/brighter headphones. So you would think A.T. would try and push these as a sort of high end consumer minded headphone. Instead they are pushing those sub-50 dollar SonicFuel series headphones. No idea how those sound but price wise, they win. So there is almost no place for the Solid Bass series, at least here in the states. An anomoly in the A.T. catalog alongside the Pro700mk2 series. Those dark sub bass heavy ones.

Beyond sound, I always loved the look and build of ws1100 but that like the sound is a matter of taste.

Well I hope you get to try them out one day.

I am starting to think the WS1100 could be a closed back brother of the open back ATH-R70x. Those (especially with upgraded OCC cable, all burned in) are warm but not overly so. They have good detail (slightly better than Senn HD650) and reach a bit lower, with better mid / upper bass and low mids, giving it a fuller sound vs. the HD650. They are among the best for bass extension for open backs under $500. I like detail but have unusually sensitive ears so warmer cans give me plenty. Folks who love cans for "detail" and complain about the slightest bass boost are on the other side of the spectrum, from me. I want to hear the WS1100, if it ever gets to America. Especially given how nice the ear pads on these look.

May 25, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #54 of 84
Alrighty, ATH-WS1100 vs. my modified ATH-R70X (see them here): http://www.head-fi.org/t/765004/audio-technica-ath-r70x-in-depth-review-impressions/930#post_12563588

They have arrived. On their way back for a refund. My Sony MDR-Z7 (modified) spoil me vs. other closed or semi-closed cans now. The ATH-WS1100 has good sound, but it is so outclassed by the Sony and my ATH-R70X. A touch more sub bass than the ATH-R70x, an annoying mid bass bump, slightly recessed mids, and a bit more high end than I'd like.

They sound like a less refined Shure SRH-1540 in sonics. Like those they are light, comfortable and look good. The ATH-R70x mid bass is tighter but still plentiful and the lower mids to mids more warm. The higher mids and highs have similar detail while being warmer, a trait in really high end high quality headphones. The best open under $500 to me.

The Creative Aurvana 2 (with NVX XRE 100S ComfortMax Standard Cushions, the superior version of Brainwavz HM5 non-angled ear pads) beat these. The Shure is a touch more refined, but the Creative has fuller (still flat) mids, highs a bit smoother- but no less detailed. At half the price of the WS1100 (and $20 for the pads) I'd recommend those first.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #56 of 84
I initially wanted a comparison between the WS1100 and the M100 but since you know about the Fostex T50 MKIII, I wonder what else could you compare with in this sub-$300 territory.

Maybe I could tell what I'm looking for, if it helps.

As I wrote at the beginning of the topic, I have a M50 and I had a Sony XB700. I had one XB700, then the cable got stuck I and I had to buy a new one and the new one didn't sound the same, one was bought in Japan and the other from US, I don't know if there is any difference or if I was just unlucky. I really liked the sound stage for the bass in the XB700, I think it had a pretty good sub-bass and clarity as well for what it was offered, the treble was there but the mids were not.

I don't really want a MEGA bass feel, but if possible I wanted a bit of the sub-bass. I wanted a warm bass that has a little bit of punchyness to it. I like when it has a decent sound stage with clarity and a bit of details. It doesn't have to come with all that as long as it's capable of reproducing it. I could only get the things I described with the XB700 with a Cowon player and its BBE settings. So I basically wanted that same bass, sound stage and clarity I could get with my XB700+Cowon combo but with better mids, it doesn't have to have the best mids, decent is fine, it's just that the XB700 lacked mids.

I tried the M50 with my Cowon but I didn't work which is fine since the M50 is a good neutral headphone for editing video. Can the WS1100 show some of this qualities I'm looking for? You said the T50 MKIII is a bit warm and has nice sound stage, clarity, details and mids, but with the right EQ, can I extract a big more bass from it? Have you tested the M100 or some other bass-inclined headphone that could match what I described? There are some new XB headphones from Sony but after buying the second XB700 I'm a bit reticent.

I wanted it could play well with those mix of Jazz and Hip-Hop type of music.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #57 of 84
When I started on here, I was a basshead. Now I like everything. I used to own every xb series except xb300 and xb700. Go figure. I was new and thought the differences in models would be massive and noticeable. However in my experience with the xb series I own or did own. They follow a very similiar sound, exception being the xb1000 which was quite different.

Anyway....never owning an xb700,. I can only assume what they probably sounded like based off reviews and other opinions. Certainly not the same as having owned them. Full disclosure anyway. My experience though that to my ears most xbs are very similiar. Some dig a little deeper than others. XB500 and XB700 had better sound stages than the newer models. XB1000 had the best. What I gather is xb700 is an xb800 with a better soundstage, more clarity. Generally the same tuning though...boomy, lots of bass. Like the xb800, they dig deeper in sub bass while still having ALOT of mid bass.

Anyway....answer to your question. T50RP MKIII while I love it, is only lightly enhanced bass at best. Pleasant but not even close to XB in the mid bass. ws1100 has a mid bass bump. Very tight...it enhances the mid bass of songs already bass heavy. It leaves the rest alone. Not nearly as much as XB but more than the Fostex. The Fostex MKIII series has one of the earliest sub bass cut offs of any headphones I own. One negative about them. Its hard even with eq to get much back. They really cut it early and hard. Going from an XB to T50RP III. You'd probably feel like they dont have enough bass. As far as ws1100, surprisingly they too cut the sub bass early. Not as much as Fostex but still quite a bit. You can eq some back in, but not much. The ws1100 more closely resembles the sound of the m50 if you warmed it up a bit. I never felt Audio Technica closed backs had good soundstage. Decent at best. ws1100 to me had more soundstage than the m50. The midrange is slighty recessed though. Less treble but still a decent amount. AT's closed or open to me always had alot of treble. That bothers some more than others. It doesnt bother me. Those two headphones would both offer more clarity than the xb though.

So neither of those headphones are good for you if you want sub bass. I can't emphasize enough though that Sony xb is extremely boomy mid bass. A better step in that direction is the Sennheiser Urbanites. On ear or over ear. Plenty of mid bass but better controlled. Which gives more clarity. Better balanced. Decent sub-bass. Decent soundstage. Nice price overall. Still recessed mid range. Its hard to get a mid bass bump and not recess the mids a little.

Of course there is the JVC SZ-2000....I wouldnt call them clear. However as far as eqing and sub bass. WOW! I have them. Its amazing how far you can push the sub bass before clipping sets in. I dont know a better sub bass headphone.

Again I dont have the xb700 for an a/b comparison. There is an xb offshoot called x10 from Sony. Takes the xb800 sound sig and adds more treble giving the illusion of more clarity. Treble will do that. 50mm drivers and good sub-bass. It digs deep, you can eq a little more out of it. Soundstage is not much. Recessed mids.

In my experience....its difficult to find any bass emphasized headphone that doesnt recess the midrange and hide details. Most detail heavy headphones are neutral and balanced or treble heavy bass deficient. The fostex is warm but warm of neutral. Very gently warm. The mids are not recessed but at the same time, bass is not really emphasized much.

I never owned a v-moda so I cant even begin to compare. I have heard that many audio purists find the m100 is the best of the bunch and also the least bassy.

So I know I havent been alot of help....truth be told, bass heavy with alot of detail, good soundstage and midrange. Then compared to an extremely bassy headphone like an xb series. I have the xb500 and yea its better than the xb on ears for clarity and soundstage but its still extremely bassy and boomy.

Have you ever tried the Urbanites? Because to me they were the xb series done better all around. They have less bass yes. But they still have plenty and they do everything else generally better.

I remember when I decided one day. I wanted a moniter headphone. Up until that point....I just had the xb series. Then I got a Sony V6. At first it sounded like nothing but treble. I thought it was awful at first. Over time my ears adjusted. I started to hear things I didnt with the xb. Then when I went back to the xb...they sounded like mud. Its amazing how the mind can play tricks. You have to get used to it. In my case anyway.

Sony CD900ST has a unique sound sig. Boosted lows, boosted low mid range, controlled treble, good details, decent sub bass, so-so soundstage. Very eq'able. Unfortunately expensive, hard to find sometimes and you need to buy an adapter as they have a large headphone plug, no adapter included. They are made for studios...they even come in a plain box with only instructions. Not intended for consumers basically.

A few ideas anyway...maybe someone else can throw out a few ideas for what you are looking for. Hope you find it. Good luck.

I initially wanted a comparison between the WS1100 and the M100 but since you know about the Fostex T50 MKIII, I wonder what else could you compare with in this sub-$300 territory.

Maybe I could tell what I'm looking for, if it helps.

As I wrote at the beginning of the topic, I have a M50 and I had a Sony XB700. I had one XB700, then the cable got stuck I and I had to buy a new one and the new one didn't sound the same, one was bought in Japan and the other from US, I don't know if there is any difference or if I was just unlucky. I really liked the sound stage for the bass in the XB700, I think it had a pretty good sub-bass and clarity as well for what it was offered, the treble was there but the mids were not.

I don't really want a MEGA bass feel, but if possible I wanted a bit of the sub-bass. I wanted a warm bass that has a little bit of punchyness to it. I like when it has a decent sound stage with clarity and a bit of details. It doesn't have to come with all that as long as it's capable of reproducing it. I could only get the things I described with the XB700 with a Cowon player and its BBE settings. So I basically wanted that same bass, sound stage and clarity I could get with my XB700+Cowon combo but with better mids, it doesn't have to have the best mids, decent is fine, it's just that the XB700 lacked mids.

I tried the M50 with my Cowon but I didn't work which is fine since the M50 is a good neutral headphone for editing video. Can the WS1100 show some of this qualities I'm looking for? You said the T50 MKIII is a bit warm and has nice sound stage, clarity, details and mids, but with the right EQ, can I extract a big more bass from it? Have you tested the M100 or some other bass-inclined headphone that could match what I described? There are some new XB headphones from Sony but after buying the second XB700 I'm a bit reticent.

I wanted it could play well with those mix of Jazz and Hip-Hop type of music.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #58 of 84
...I just thought of another headphone that may be appealing. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. Its somewhat based off their dt770 80 ohm version. It allows you switch through four sound settings. from practically no bass to a boomy bass. The beyer cop checks off almost everything you want....good soundstage for a closed back. good details. good clarity. good midrange for a bassier headphone. Plus bass that you can play around with to get you the one you like the most. The cop is easy to drive. Not too expensive all things considered. The only thing it doesnt do quite to your specifics is sub-bass. The sub bass is adequate at best and you cant equalize too much more out of it. It has alot more than the Fostex though. Warm tilt but pleasing if you like bass. So that's another one to consider.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #59 of 84
Thanks for your reply! I don't think it's relevant since we are talking about headphones, but I also have an Etymotic and a JVC earphones, my JVC is one of those bass earphones but I kind of gave up on having bass earphones. I liked the Etymotic because it has a nice sound quality and one of the best passive isolations. I also had one of those Sony's with active noise canceling, the sound quality wasn't great but the isolation was quite nice, but having that AAA battery hanging was annoying, so when I had a problem with the cable, I tried the JVC because it was cheaper, but it didn't have nice isolation so I went with the Etymotic.

I actually had listed all of the ones you talked about except the Sennheiser Urbanites, because I think I had listed the Momentum and also the Sony MDR1, but it was last year, I don't quite remember why I chose the M100, I think most reviews recommended it and then the WS1100 showed up so I got curious about it. It's quite hard to choose without testing, there are some parts that are so subjective and each person's hearing is also different, sometimes - like with my XB700 - even the manufacturing changes.

I will do another research on the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, JVC SZ-2000, Fostex T50RP MKIII and the Sennheisers. I remember doing research on these and also looking up and learning about open back and planar magnetic. The Custom One Pro is good because you can play around depending on the situation, it gives you flexibility.

I don't think I'm quite a bass head but I like some bass, I think that sound stage and clarity along with a decent bass would be my priorities, it doesn't have to have great mids, just better than the XB700, just enough so I don't miss it. I don't know if it's quite like this, but for me details are for the highs as the sub-bass are for the bass in terms of presence, it's like an extra or bonus, it makes you appreciate more the highs and lows and it adds to the sound stage and feel, it's not a priority though, of course, if I could have it, it would be nice.

Why so many people recommend the M100? Is it all of that?

Do you have any recommendation for an audio player? I liked the Cowon so I'm thinking about getting another one. I probably won't be listening to music with both the player and the headphone THAT often, here in Brazil is kind of risky, you'll probably will get stolen. While I'm on the go I usually listen to podcasts on my phone, good thing the Etymotic is quite discreet. But I like to listen to the Cowon and a headphone at times at home or when I'm travelling.

...I just thought of another headphone that may be appealing. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. Its somewhat based off their dt770 80 ohm version. It allows you switch through four sound settings. from practically no bass to a boomy bass. The beyer cop checks off almost everything you want....good soundstage for a closed back. good details. good clarity. good midrange for a bassier headphone. Plus bass that you can play around with to get you the one you like the most. The cop is easy to drive. Not too expensive all things considered. The only thing it doesnt do quite to your specifics is sub-bass. The sub bass is adequate at best and you cant equalize too much more out of it. It has alot more than the Fostex though. Warm tilt but pleasing if you like bass. So that's another one to consider.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #60 of 84
Well if i can ask....if you tried those headphones then you probably didnt like them enough to keep them. What were you most disappointed about, that those headphones lacked in comparison to your first xb700 and m50 which you own or did own. Whatever disappointed you the most was what you need the most in the replacement.

If you could find an xb700 that sounded like your original.....would you buy another? Sometimes we fall in love with a sound sig so much....we wont settle for anything but that sound sig. Honestly, I've got very few comparisons to the xb series other than different xb models. The closest non-Sony thing is the on ear Sennheiser Urbanite which I always felt sounded like a very refined higher quality Sony XB. Sennheiser lovers will probably vomit at that comparson but that was how I felt.

If your willing to forsake alot of bass, you'll have a ton of options. Way too many for me to list. I cant recommend the Fostex if sub bass is important to you. Remove that requirement and T50 mk3 is a great sound with alot of detail and an awesome price. Great intro to Planar magnetics. Worth way more than what they charge. No sub-bass. Its got just about everything else you want though. If you worry that its too mid bass deficient there is the t20 and t40 models. I never owned a t20 but t40 has the sub bass cut off too. According to a graph I read, t20 cuts off the sub bass early also.

The m100 I dont own. I know alot of people like it most out of their product line. It is the least bassiest but best overall sound. Thats just what I read. I never owned any v-modas. I dont even know what their bassy headphones sound like.

Your absolutely right....actual hands on testing is always best and not always easy. Everyone has a different opinion(s) of what they like. Plus people's taste changes.

I can definately say this....ws1100 wont satisfy your needs imo. I like the sound sig, but the things you want though. soundstage. midrange. Not the best. sub-bass is nothing special. Its got clarity but you can get even better clarity from othe hps in the same realm. Also I do feel the ws1100 is overpriced. The thing I dislike the most....its really a $150-$200 headphone. We are mostly paying for the importing.

ws1100 is most closely compared to m50. Turn the m50 warmer. Add a slight bass bump. Not huge but noticeable. The m50 has a thicker sound. A little more aggressive too. The ws1100 has a better soundstage but I was never impressed with the m50 soundstage. So that doesnt say much, imo. Midrange sounds less. Less treble but that could be considered a good thing. A.T. headphones usually have alot of treble. ws1100 still has alot compared to most other bass focused hps.

I think you should try the m100. If that was what you originally had your sights on, give it a shot. Get it from a place that accepts returns in case your unimpressed.

Sorry I cant help more...good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back