Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Jan 10, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,141 of 1,370
Alright. Hello everyone. I read this entire thread, broke down and had to buy the WP900. They arrived a couple days ago and my first impressions were really positive. The recessed mids were an issue for a couple of minutes, but I got over that really quickly after getting acclimated to their signature. I'm loving them more and more. I listen to a lot of Experimental electronic music, EDM, Ambient, Reggae, Dub Techno, Indian Classical, and Drone. The WP900 seem made for me. Anyway, last night after about 45 minutes of listening there was pressure on my ears, just some slight discomfort. I went ahead and ordered the YAXI stPad2 just to make them truly circumaural. Now, I'm nervous. Just how much bass am I going to lose? I don't mind losing some, but there's a limit. For those who have the YAXI pads, what percentage would you estimate the sound changes by? 10%? 20%? Or more? This thread has been really informative, thanks!

Jan 10, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,142 of 1,370
Alright. Hello everyone. I read this entire thread, broke down and had to buy the WP900. They arrived a couple days ago and my first impressions were really positive. The recessed mids were an issue for a couple of minutes, but I got over that really quickly after getting acclimated to their signature. I'm loving them more and more. I listen to a lot of Experimental electronic music, EDM, Ambient, Reggae, Dub Techno, Indian Classical, and Drone. The WP900 seem made for me. Anyway, last night after about 45 minutes of listening there was pressure on my ears, just some slight discomfort. I went ahead and ordered the YAXI stPad2 just to make them truly circumaural. Now, I'm nervous. Just how much bass am I going to lose? I don't mind losing some, but there's a limit. For those who have the YAXI pads, what percentage would you estimate the sound changes by? 10%? 20%? Or more? This thread has been really informative, thanks!
Experimental electronic? Let's foggin goooo. I want new cans to give me a next level soundstage coming from Sony XM3s. Is it a bigger soundstage? I was thinking Focal Elegia to make sure I got a difference over the Sonys but then someone said WP900 are the ones for me.. I'm still undecided but your post is promising

Jan 10, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,143 of 1,370
Experimental electronic? Let's foggin goooo. I want new cans to give me a next level soundstage coming from Sony XM3s. Is it a bigger soundstage? I was thinking Focal Elegia to make sure I got a difference over the Sonys but then someone said WP900 are the ones for me.. I'm still undecided but your post is promising
Let's foggin' go indeed. Soundstage is not the very first thing I focus on, but I'd say it's way above average for a V shaped closed back. I look for bass texture and extension, and detail retrieval. That's what gets me lost in music, when the bass is detailed and heavy, but the rest of the spectrum is not overpowered. These are fantastic. The highs are sparkly but without fatigue. It's just a V done correctly. I have not heard the XM3s but I seriously doubt they could sound better than these. The Focal Elegia I have not heard either unfortunately

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,144 of 1,370
Let's foggin' go indeed. Soundstage is not the very first thing I focus on, but I'd say it's way above average for a V shaped closed back. I look for bass texture and extension, and detail retrieval. That's what gets me lost in music, when the bass is detailed and heavy, but the rest of the spectrum is not overpowered. These are fantastic. The highs are sparkly but without fatigue. It's just a V done correctly. I have not heard the XM3s but I seriously doubt they could sound better than these. The Focal Elegia I have not heard either unfortunately
Stefan at Headphone Auditions Amsterdam recommended me WP900. I told him about my IDM music taste and I also told him about my Elegia option. He said these are way better and will be great for that music.. He is so utterly legit that it's hard to ignore.. What experimental electro recommendations you got new release??

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,145 of 1,370
Stefan at Headphone Auditions Amsterdam recommended me WP900. I told him about my IDM music taste and I also told him about my Elegia option. He said these are way better and will be great for that music.. He is so utterly legit that it's hard to ignore.. What experimental electro recommendations you got new release??
I'd follow his recommendation. These are great for IDM. Listen to Kakuhan "Metal Zone". Also I've been listening to The Transcendence Orchestra "Modern Methods for Ancient Rituals". It isn't their newest release but it's a beautiful sprawling Drone masterpiece.

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,146 of 1,370
I'd follow his recommendation. These are great for IDM. Listen to Kakuhan "Metal Zone". Also I've been listening to The Transcendence Orchestra "Modern Methods for Ancient Rituals". It isn't their newest release but it's a beautiful sprawling Drone masterpiece.
Cool found TTO MMFAR on bandcamp.. Oh I know Anthony Child. Nice

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,147 of 1,370
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #1,148 of 1,370
Unfortunately all Focals will be a larger design, and they all share similar heavy magnet structures.

I didn't notice less bass, just more open bass..
Just got home from work and can't replicate the discomfort from last night. I think I was just wearing them one click on the headband too low on my ears last night. They are actually really comfortable tonight, and just when I thought I wasted $57 on the YAXI pads I read from you that I won't lose bass with them. I'm actually glad I bought them now, it'll be interesting if the sound gets even better.

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #1,149 of 1,370
Unfortunately all Focals will be a larger design, and they all share similar heavy magnet structures.

Yeah, The Elegia lose to WP900 when it comes to practicality. Its a big aspect for me. I am willing to take the odd criticism about WP900 slightly fragile construction too.

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #1,150 of 1,370
I cannot believe the difference these have made. Not only is the comfort much better, but the sound is also improved. There's increased soundstage, and the bass has not decreased in any way. I'd say it's possibly even fuller. I'm very very pleased. The mids are also more even if I'm remembering correctly.

Attachments

• 20230113_001356.jpg
    20230113_001356.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 13, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #1,151 of 1,370
I cannot believe the difference these have made

Could you post a link to those that have made such a difference. Thank you.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #1,152 of 1,370
@marekm, most probably, these are YAXI stPad2, that has already been highly praised by several users in this thread - see previous 3-5 pages.
Link: https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/stpad2/.
Personally, I bought their other pads for ATH-MSR7 (MSR7 Comfort), and think that they are great - better sound and comfort (at least for me), comparing to original ones!

I have only one question about stPad2, though - is there any issues with putting them on WP900? Because it looks like these pads are designed for headphones with oval-shaped cups (Sony MDR-7506, ATH-M50x, etc.), but WP900's cups are round.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,153 of 1,370
I have only one question about stPad2, though - is there any issues with putting them on WP900? Because it looks like these pads are designed for headphones with oval-shaped cups (Sony MDR-7506, ATH-M50x, etc.), but WP900's cups are round.

Hence, my polite request to a happy WP900 owner who actually bought and mounted the pads on his WP900 and is happy with the result :)

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #1,154 of 1,370
No issues at all with putting the Yaxi pads on the WP900, as noted earlier in the thread. They are round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back