Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,038 of 1,370
Applying an equalizer is not sporty. : )))

It's possible, of course, but the headphones will not get any better from this.

I don’t think it’s a matter of getting better performance, rather, getting better in tone. I fully get the lack of enthusiasm for eq by some, especially these days with bit perfect performance, but subtle eq use can do wonders for tonal anomalies, in my view. The key is being subtle about it keeping changes to no greater than 2-3dB. ✌️

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,039 of 1,370
I believe it was an issue of some clarity improvement. Maybe a bit less harmonics obscuring the main signal movement.
To change the signature (FR), probably EQ, or actually modding would change it.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,040 of 1,370
Does anybody know where to buy replacement pads from. I use this headphone a lot so would like to get some pads in for when I need them

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,041 of 1,370
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #1,043 of 1,370
Instructions to order spare/replacement WP900 earpads from Audio-Technica in the USA:

Good Morning,
Below is the information to place an order through the parts department
*****Prices valid in the US only *******
ATH-WP900 #135310090 EARPAD WP900 $12.73 ea. $25.46 pair
Shipping FedEx $12.50
Total $37.96
Parts are not refundable
We accept credit card or PayPal
You can call 330-686-2600 ext. 5002 with your credit card information.
To use PayPal, please send total including US shipping to paypal@atus.com.
Select the “Send money” option
Include the part number, quantity, US address and phone number in the comment field

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #1,044 of 1,370
I am finally looking into the HD800S. The reason why I bring it up here is because the WP900 is about as hot as I can handle when it comes to treble. I read that the Sennheiser's treble is on the sharp side. Can anyone compare the two in that regard?

Jul 3, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,045 of 1,370
800S will not be hot like the 800.
Only issue is a bit lean on sub-bass but not bad.
Do not buy 8XX as they have ruin the driver performance. Even with stripping the changes, they are other changes done.
You can read a little about it here.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,046 of 1,370
For all those that find this WP900 signature "a bit" uneven, but don't want to part with it (like me) and dont like to EQ (for whatever reason) , I will now post this easy to adjust mod..

From my many years of modding every type of headphones, what I learned most, is how manufacturers tune their headphones...

The tunning of many designs is right in front of our face, being the baffle.
With the baffle, we can tune many aspects thru porting and taped porting.

This is how big manufacturers do it.

No expenses is done on materials damping. they don't have to. they integrate tunning into the design itself designs.... in this case, as common, it is altered thru baffle.

So it is done thru baffle plate porting.

So that's what to do pictured. It's easy, simple, and works. Anything more is a waste of money for companies.

Here is a simple, image view, to what can be done simply and also reversible if you ever want to sell it:
Screenshot_20220708-003833_Gallery.jpg

As you can see, we can tune the driver simply by altering the baffle area "they themselves" designed this area, to use for tunning.

I added the extra tip of using a bit of proper damping (Twaron or derivative), used (for the correct reasons of absorbtion), like in speaker enclosures. Using proper materials designed for intended usage is way to least headaches.

There you go, enjoy.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #1,047 of 1,370
🙂

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,049 of 1,370
For all those that find this WP900 signature "a bit" uneven, but don't want to part with it (like me) and dont like to EQ (for whatever reason) , I will now post this easy to adjust mod..

From my many years of modding every type of headphones, what I learned most, is how manufacturers tune their headphones...

The tunning of many designs is right in front of our face, being the baffle.
With the baffle, we can tune many aspects thru porting and taped porting.

This is how big manufacturers do it.

They do not want to spend any excess money on materials damping, if they don't have to, so they integrate tunning into their designs.... NOT "after the fact" with excess damping materials.
Frontal Materials will ALWAYS stifle the driver (think transients & micro dynamics gone).

In fact, ANY FORM of frontal material damping will hamper the driver. Think about the driver, like your mouth. Would you want to stifle it with any material as you try to speak?

No stupid frontal or rear materials damping. I say "stupid" on purpose, because I only seeing frontal tunning material done by the smaller headphones companies, or less capable engineering, while totally overlooking how the big players make tunning into the design itself.

For instance, The fact that Sennheiser added frontal material tunning in all it's revisions of the hd800, to me was a complete failure of any redesign engineering or any actual thought into the design aspects of tunning. To use frontal material tunning, is stifling the driver, and, to me, kindergarten work. Sennheiser not the only one. Others like Zmf, Mr speakers, etc. There's no way to avoid the elephant in the room, that being frontal damping works by "stifling" the driver, and so, logically, is a bandaid solution.

So I will introduce to you, an alteration of how the "big boys" play, like Audio Technica's "designed tunning" which is (like all big companies) thier baffle plate porting.

So what's pictured, is the only thing I would bother to try. It's easy, simple, and works. Anything more is a waste of time.

Here is a simple, image view, to what can be done simply and also reversible if you ever want to sell it:

As you can see, we can tune the driver simply by altering the baffle area "they themselves" designed this area, to use for tunning.

I added the extra tip of using a bit of proper damping (Twaron or derivative), used (for the correct reasons of absorbtion), like in speaker enclosures. Using proper materials designed for intended usage is way to least headaches.

There you go, enjoy.
Would have been super cool if you had taken some FR graphs before and after

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #1,050 of 1,370
Would have been super cool if you had taken some FR graphs before and after
I always have everything saved in REW files. I will check and post them before & after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back