Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Jun 17, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,021 of 1,370
Yeah I loved everything but the sound lol.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that like the sound. It just wasn't for me.
The only way to totally smooth the top end is a tube amp and a copper cable. The C9 won't do it, but something like the WA8 will. But of course at that point, they're no longer portable.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,023 of 1,370
Jun 17, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #1,024 of 1,370
Unfortunately, no burning will help, I did it for a month. Maybe this will calm the high frequencies, but the dip in the lower mids is difficult to compensate even with the help of an equalizer, although it is possible. I did not immediately understand what annoyed me in their sound. These are the headphones of one-armed pianists and bleating singers. Tears welled up in my eyes when I sent them back, I liked the shape and comfort of the headphones so much. I'm looking for all possible information, suddenly some smart person made a mod and posted instructions, then I would buy them again and modify them too.

The best mod is a high purity, all copper replacement cable … as I hear it.

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #1,026 of 1,370
Hi all! I'm looking for a travel headset with occasional Bluetooth/usb-c use, so I'd combine them with an iFi Go Blue. Wired - straight from a synth or a mac. I don't know if I'll like the sound better than the DCA Aeon, but I appreciate the price difference. I come from a Lagoon ANC which is quite neutral, clear and not very bass heavy.

I'm looking for a serious upgrade because the Lagoon's plastic broke down on me big time. I'm using it every day for 1-2 hours and I'm not exactly sitting still. That's my main worry with the WP900: the build quality. I shuddered when I read the word 'plastic' and don't want to go through the same again. So here's an opinion that voices my worries very precisely:
There's just a bit too much plastic than I Would like to see in this price range. Headband feels solid enough but main concerns are the hinges and the yokes holding the earcups which just feel a bit cheap and I'm not really convinced would they last several years of active use without breaking.
Since the headphone has been on the market for a while now - what's the long term opinion on this?

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,027 of 1,370
Hi all! I'm looking for a travel headset with occasional Bluetooth/usb-c use, so I'd combine them with an iFi Go Blue. Wired - straight from a synth or a mac. I don't know if I'll like the sound better than the DCA Aeon, but I appreciate the price difference. I come from a Lagoon ANC which is quite neutral, clear and not very bass heavy.

I'm looking for a serious upgrade because the Lagoon's plastic broke down on me big time. I'm using it every day for 1-2 hours and I'm not exactly sitting still. That's my main worry with the WP900: the build quality. I shuddered when I read the word 'plastic' and don't want to go through the same again. So here's an opinion that voices my worries very precisely:

Since the headphone has been on the market for a while now - what's the long term opinion on this?
In my opinion the build quality is one of the strong points for the WP900. Is a portable headphone and it should be light. The plastic used is of very good quality and the wooden caps are reminiscent of guitars like the Gibson.

Jun 19, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #1,028 of 1,370

Had mine for a few years with regular usages, no issues at all.

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #1,029 of 1,370

I concur with the others about the build quality. Yes, plastic is the primary material, but I seem to recall the plastic is reinforced with other materials to better ensure longevity. I certainly can understand why some might disagree with this since many $600-700 headphones have a partial metal build, but at the expense of higher weight. The WP900 is very comfortable due to its pads and low weight, so extended listening sessions are quite enjoyable.

Just treat them with care and they will last a long time …

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,030 of 1,370
I concur with the others about the build quality. Yes, plastic is the primary material, but I seem to recall the plastic is reinforced with other materials to better ensure longevity. I certainly can understand why some might disagree with this since many $600-700 headphones have a partial metal build, but at the expense of higher weight. The WP900 is very comfortable due to its pads and low weight, so extended listening sessions are quite enjoyable.

Just treat them with care and they will last a long time …
That's all good news. It's not like I throw my headset about. I was careful with the Lagoon, but the build is just very flimsy in the attachment of the headband to the ear units. I liked the sound, and the WP900 sounds like it may have a similar sound profile though a bit warmer. I'll be looking to listen to it first, of course. As I mentioned, I'd use it with an Ifi Go Blu when travelling and wired at home. The competition is currently quite limited. The Aeon 2 Noire looks great but costs a dear penny more. Then there's the Mark Levinson 5909 which costs not much more than the WP900+Go Blu and has it all in one, which is practical. All the other options are not foldable so they don't travel well.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,031 of 1,370
They get better with burn-in...:gs1000smile: And better cables help, too.

.. And the SQ is getting better with the burn in time.. While

I've never really been a believer in headphone 'burn-in', but I can say with confidence that the WP900 has changed (to my ears, anyhow) after spending a good 4-5 weeks with it.

I had the chance to spend some time with a review pair last year, which completely blew me away - so much so that I asked to buy them from Audio Technica after I had to send them back. My own pair sounded very boomy out of the box which made me wonder whether there might be some unit variance, or perhaps that my memory of the review pair was a bit skewed. After a good month or so of using them solidly, my concern has completely disappeared. Don't get me wrong - they're still very much warm, bass-y and V-shaped, but their lowest octave has really tightned-up and doesn't over-shadow the mid-range nearly as much anymore.

I too was fooled! I bought these new, and when first listened, I thought they were a bit uncontrolled and bit boomy in bass, while still showing some highet than average technicalities.
It was a mixed bag that I thought coul keep as a backup, as it wasn't up to par for me.
They looked so beautiful I couldn't get rid of them.
So I put them away, and then the need to burn in my new dx320 dap came, so I thought it would do well as a burn in headphones.

Little did I know this WP900 would change so much better! Bass gained controll and whole unit more cohesive and the technicalities in the upper spectrum now spread throughout the whole range, so it seems like a higher performance level unit now.

Definitely an above average headphones now. Didn't even have to try modding it, like I end up trying on most every headphones I owned.

These will dethrone my current favorite portable in this "over ear portable" type, which was a Sony 1am2, which is a superior unit in durability with quality sound. The WP900 is way higher level in sound quality though.

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,032 of 1,370
Does the Clear have more bass slam for drums and such than the wp900?

I like my lower mids, upper bass punchiness.

All focal models are bigger like desktop sized rather than portable and their all way heavier unit as well.
From my brief memory of the clear it had nice focus and clarity but never struck me as punchy or bass strong, rather a very well balanced or more neutral sound.
For an open headphone, it had a soundstage more like a closed one.
Clears, never gave the uge to own. Utopia did and I owned those instead for a while.

Everyone's preference will differ, but I would not choose the clear over these, but I am also taking into account portable beauty and form factor and light weight.

Jun 20, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,033 of 1,370
I too was fooled! I bought these new, and when first listened, I thought they were a bit uncontrolled and bit boomy in bass, while still showing some highet than average technicalities.
It was a mixed bag that I thought coul keep as a backup, as it wasn't up to par for me.
They looked so beautiful I couldn't get rid of them.
So I put them away, and then the need to burn in my new dx320 dap came, so I thought it would do well as a burn in headphones.

Little did I know this WP900 would change so much better! Bass gained controll and whole unit more cohesive and the technicalities in the upper spectrum now spread throughout the whole range, so it seems like a higher performance level unit now.

Definitely an above average headphones now. Didn't even have to try modding it, like I end up trying on most every headphones I owned.

These will dethrone my current favorite portable in this "over ear portable" type, which was a Sony 1am2, which is a superior unit in durability with quality sound. The WP900 is way higher level in sound quality though.
LOL damn.....I was too impatient back then and returned them to Amazon.

Foolish young me LOL.

Jun 21, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #1,034 of 1,370
Also sent it back. Burning helps only partially, indeed, the already excellent bass has picked up, it has become more punchy and detailed. The upper frequencies are also reduced. But the main problem of these headphones lies not at all in this. They have the strongest dip around 300 Hz or so, and in general the frequency response in the midrange region has a strong slope. That's why I said about one-armed pianists, it seems that the part of the left hand is not performed at all, and the right hand is driven directly into the brain. Male vocals sound like the singer has inhaled helium. How this can be fixed with a cable or burning, I have no idea. It is possible that by replacing the damping something can be corrected, and something else, as it were, will not be spoiled. Sorry to admit, but I'm clearly not smart enough and brave enough to do it myself.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #1,035 of 1,370
Also sent it back. Burning helps only partially, indeed, the already excellent bass has picked up, it has become more punchy and detailed. The upper frequencies are also reduced. But the main problem of these headphones lies not at all in this. They have the strongest dip around 300 Hz or so, and in general the frequency response in the midrange region has a strong slope. That's why I said about one-armed pianists, it seems that the part of the left hand is not performed at all, and the right hand is driven directly into the brain. Male vocals sound like the singer has inhaled helium. How this can be fixed with a cable or burning, I have no idea. It is possible that by replacing the damping something can be corrected, and something else, as it were, will not be spoiled. Sorry to admit, but I'm clearly not smart enough and brave enough to do it myself.
EQ to taste is the answer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back