Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #691 of 1,365
My US10 box case.. Possibly a knock-off ath official case but very solid build with adequate protection

Attachments

• 20210205_190133.jpg
    20210205_190133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210205_190317.jpg
    20210205_190317.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #692 of 1,365
How would you compare it to the others you have? These 3 are all in my score for a single set of phones to own.

They are all 3 pretty different tbh. To my ears 1540 have a pretty relaxing sound, airy, big soundstage, I would say U shape sounding. I always think about the analogy of a ribbon mic, sweet sounding. T5 3rd gen are L shape to my ears, big hard hitting bass, thicker notes, very analogue sounding and good soundstage but less airy than 1540 or wp900. WP900 signature is a v-shape, not extreme but still V-shape. They are fast, airy, good clean hard hitting bass. And it’s FUN, it’s possibily the most musical and exciting headphones I have in my collection.
After a month of owning them, I would say that for my taste if I had to choose between all my headphones/iems, I would choose the wp900 as my desert island hp :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #693 of 1,365
I bought these from another head-fi member for use at work, but I find myself using these at home too. What a fun headphone, it fits so well for my taste in metalcore and post-hardcore rock, it really has a deep and powerful bass response, yet retains an impactful and engaging midrange. Really glad I took a chance on these, I love them.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #694 of 1,365
They are all 3 pretty different tbh. To my ears 1540 have a pretty relaxing sound, airy, big soundstage, I would say U shape sounding. I always think about the analogy of a ribbon mic, sweet sounding. T5 3rd gen are L shape to my ears, big hard hitting bass, thicker notes, very analogue sounding and good soundstage but less airy than 1540 or wp900. WP900 signature is a v-shape, not extreme but still V-shape. They are fast, airy, good clean hard hitting bass. And it’s FUN, it’s possibily the most musical and exciting headphones I have in my collection.
After a month of owning them, I would say that for my taste if I had to choose between all my headphones/iems, I would choose the wp900 as my desert island hp :)

Thats interesting to hear. Soundstage is also fairly important to me, as I listen to a fair bit of electronic, ambient, and live classical things which benefit from that. I know the 1540's are supposed to be super comfortable - how would you rate the t5 and the WP900 for comfort? I'm really looking for something which can handle longer listening sessions at work without making my ears bake, or with too much clamp force.

Unfortunately it isn't available here in Norway atm....so I will try out the t5 and the 1540 for now....and see if they can help avoid spending stupid money on the denon 9200 which I tested out and sounded super nice. But they cost mucho.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #695 of 1,365
Thats interesting to hear. Soundstage is also fairly important to me, as I listen to a fair bit of electronic, ambient, and live classical things which benefit from that. I know the 1540's are supposed to be super comfortable - how would you rate the t5 and the WP900 for comfort? I'm really looking for something which can handle longer listening sessions at work without making my ears bake, or with too much clamp force.

Unfortunately it isn't available here in Norway atm....so I will try out the t5 and the 1540 for now....and see if they can help avoid spending stupid money on the denon 9200 which I tested out and sounded super nice. But they cost mucho.

All three are very comfortable imho. WP900 are the lightest but to be honest all three are quite known to be very comfortable.Campling force is a bit stronger for t5 but really, they are far away from being uncomfortable. For mixed all around usage I would say WP900, if you are looking for a signature leaning a bit more to bass, T5 first than 1540.

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #696 of 1,365

Personally I could see where T5 might be preferable for something like classical. I have no experience with 1540 but that may be good as well, and have heard great things about the comfort and soundstage of it, and it measures flat but with a midbass emphasis. I think wp900 are not a huge soundstage, they're somewhat upfront and punchy in the bass, with extra treble as well. On songs with vocals they sound bigger because the midrange is not quite as upfront, but it sounds like your genres may not be helped by this headphone's response as much. I don't think its massively recessed but it is a v-shape of some kind. I could see these not being balanced enough. I have a friend who's into EDM/dubstep and he said the treble bothered him, even though he loved the bass. I make my close friends try my headphones and see which they like, and all said this had more bass than they expected, even after I told them it had a powerful bass response. YMMV I think they are great but idk if they're ideal for your genres and soundstage preference.

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #697 of 1,365

Does the T5 3rd gen hit as hard as the WP900 and does it isolate better than the WP900? Thanks.

Feb 10, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #698 of 1,365
Personally I could see where T5 might be preferable for something like classical. I have no experience with 1540 but that may be good as well, and have heard great things about the comfort and soundstage of it, and it measures flat but with a midbass emphasis. I think wp900 are not a huge soundstage, they're somewhat upfront and punchy in the bass, with extra treble as well. On songs with vocals they sound bigger because the midrange is not quite as upfront, but it sounds like your genres may not be helped by this headphone's response as much. I don't think its massively recessed but it is a v-shape of some kind. I could see these not being balanced enough. I have a friend who's into EDM/dubstep and he said the treble bothered him, even though he loved the bass. I make my close friends try my headphones and see which they like, and all said this had more bass than they expected, even after I told them it had a powerful bass response. YMMV I think they are great but idk if they're ideal for your genres and soundstage preference.
Thanks for the info. I will try both the t5 and 1540 this week among with the new Ducati Celeste's hopefully and see, also seeing how they do just from my phone.

The 1540 is definitely much cheaper.. Half price of the t5, so that's something to consider as well. I have been using Adobe soundmagic hp150's for the past 5 years and understand finishing returns as we move up the price scale.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #699 of 1,365
Does the T5 3rd gen hit as hard as the WP900 and does it isolate better than the WP900? Thanks.

T5 bass hits harder and it’s more present than wp900.They also isolate slightly more. But the wp900 are more airy and exciting sounding.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #700 of 1,365
Hi.
They come with a bag, which you can see the edge of in the photo below, not a hard shell case. But I had a GoCase that fits them perfectly (although I have to put something between the earpieces so they don't touch). I have an AT upgraded balanced cable that fits in that little compartment .

IMG_0940.jpg
Thank you for the post. Do you mind sharing the link for the go case?

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #701 of 1,365
Feb 19, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #703 of 1,365
Thank you very much, Sir.
The one I have and photographed is not offered anymore. The exterior and interior are slightly different materials.

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #704 of 1,365
It's slightly detectable while nothing is playing.
Hi mate, random question - are you please able to tell me which pin is hot/which is ground on the A2DC connectors? I'm making a custom pair and thought you might know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back