Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #61 of 1,365
Just received my WP900s today, and after a brief listening, I'm honestly pretty impressed. Lower end is interesting. Bass isn't abundant by any means here, but tight and clean. The lower mid-range is lacking for my taste (especially when compared to full-sized headphones, but we shouldn't be making those comparisons anyways), but that's the sound signature that AT is known for. I saw some people describe these mids as lush; I'd argue against this. The lower-mids make these sound a bit thin and if you listen to mostly pop music or rock, these may not be for you. Then again, I've been exclusively listening to ZMF mids for a while so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Upper-mid range and highs are where these shine, female vocals sound phenomenal. Vocals in general sound phenomenal, but the WP900s strengths are highlighted best by female vocals. Very transparent sound. Separation is great and the soundstage is impressive for these being closed back. These are meant to be portable and are easy to drive, but I've found that they benefit from some extra power. Extremely comfortable as well.

Don't think the comparisons to the Clears that have been going on in this thread are fair. Clears are objectively the better headphone, but these are in two separate categories in regards to price and use case. The WP900 basically stands alone in the segment of high end portable cans and I'm definitely keeping these around!

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #62 of 1,365
They get better with burn-in...:gs1000smile: And better cables help, too.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #63 of 1,365
20-06-12 15-21-57 0162.jpg

Got mine today! Love it!

But I would only agree about the bass compared to MSR7B, it is faster, more aggressive, hits harder.

But the overall timbre is not warmer but dryer than MSR7B in my opinion. The low mids are colder, the upper mids more forward, and the treble is a touch splashy. Typical ATH IMO. But maybe im wrong. I dont have any measurements yet.

It sounds more spacious than MSR7B, but I think MSR7B is a touch more clean in its background and has a more specific idea about how it images. The WP900 puts out a good image that is quite open to me for a closed headphone but I think MSR7B feelds more damped than WP900, which I guess is let loose on its wooden inner housing to give it a bit of a flavor.

But I would be hard pressed to say one can replace the other. Both are different enough to keep both in my opinion.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #64 of 1,365

Got mine today! Love it!

But I would only agree about the bass compared to MSR7B, it is faster, more aggressive, hits harder.

But the overall timbre is not warmer but dryer than MSR7B in my opinion. The low mids are colder, the upper mids more forward, and the treble is a touch splashy. Typical ATH IMO. But maybe im wrong. I dont have any measurements yet.

It sounds more spacious than MSR7B, but I think MSR7B is a touch more clean in its background and has a more specific idea about how it images. The WP900 puts out a good image that is quite open to me for a closed headphone but I think MSR7B feelds more damped than WP900, which I guess is let loose on its wooden inner housing to give it a bit of a flavor.

But I would be hard pressed to say one can replace the other. Both are different enough to keep both in my opinion.
which version of the dt880's are those

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #65 of 1,365

Got mine today! Love it!

Glad you like them. We're rockin' a similar set-up today :wink: Gotta love the old school Beyers.
IMG_20200612_1628407.jpg

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #68 of 1,365
I asked this in the other thread, but has anyone gotten the chance to compare the wp900 with the elegia, and maybe even the aeon 2 closed?

And has anyone tried these out for recording, producing or mixing? (Versus other headphones)

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #69 of 1,365
I asked this in the other thread, but has anyone gotten the chance to compare the wp900 with the elegia, and maybe even the aeon 2 closed?

And has anyone tried these out for recording, producing or mixing? (Versus other headphones)
I just got a pair of elegia for 430 dollars new on adorama, they'll be my plan b or if I'm traveling etc headphones I want to compare them to my dt880 600 ohm+emotiva a100 when it comes in.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #70 of 1,365

I can't imagine these being used for any kind of studio work; they're fairly coloured. The MSR7B would be better suited for that purpose.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #71 of 1,365
I just got a pair of elegia for 430 dollars new on adorama, they'll be my plan b or if I'm traveling etc headphones I want to compare them to my dt880 600 ohm+emotiva a100 when it comes in.

Nice! That elegia sale on adorama is a steal. But in terms of Elegia vs WP900, I’d love to hear opinions on how these two directly compare since I haven’t seen any comparisons yet.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #72 of 1,365
Nice! That elegia sale on adorama is a steal. But in terms of Elegia vs WP900, I’d love to hear opinions on how these two directly compare since I haven’t seen any comparisons yet.
sorry i dont have the wp900 I have the ATH-AWTK, but from my understanding the elegia has a huge soundstage for a closed back, isn't V shaped mids are forward.. so it's a different sound sig compared to the WP900 Elegia is probably better in technicalities too.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #73 of 1,365
sorry i dont have the wp900 I have the ATH-AWTK, but from my understanding the elegia has a huge soundstage for a closed back, isn't V shaped mids are forward.. so it's a different sound sig compared to the WP900 Elegia is probably better in technicalities too.
Yeah I wasn't specifically asking you for a comparison, just stating that I hope we get a comparison soon from someone who does :). And yeah I've heard the elegias and liked the sound signature, but these caught my eye for mobile use. The elegias are amazing but they're a bit big and fancy for completely mobile use imo. I can't say for sure but the wp900's do look slimmer and so far, opinions seem to be positive soundwise. Lastly, wood cups.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #74 of 1,365
Yeah I wasn't specifically asking you for a comparison, just stating that I hope we get a comparison soon from someone who does :). And yeah I've heard the elegias and liked the sound signature, but these caught my eye for mobile use. The elegias are amazing but they're a bit big and fancy for completely mobile use imo. I can't say for sure but the wp900's do look slimmer and so far, opinions seem to be positive soundwise. Lastly, wood cups.
my version of mobile just has to do with the ability to isolate outside noise, no sound leakage+ easy to drive, everything else is a plus, I also heard these are very comfortable so thats also something i look for, not what people see(or think) when they look at me with them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back