Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #46 of 1,365
I might sell my IEMs(I can't put things in my ears anymore) so I'm looking for a portable headphone solution, I purchased the ath awtk for home use and I'm floored they're easily the best headphone I've ever purchased and heard under 4k.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #47 of 1,365
I've never heard the ATH-AWTK or -AWAS, but would love to. These three were introduced around the same time, probably developed at the same time, and all have 53mm drivers that might be similar in design, so it's possible they're more alike than you might guess.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #49 of 1,365
With so many people saying that the WP900 is detailed I really want to try it again. When I tried it the last time it didnt seem as detailed as I would like and alot of the vocals seem smoothed over.

@JML I would say the WP900 and AWAS are similar with the awas with awas having a tamer midbass bump(but still pretty bassy) and better trebble extention along with bigger soundstage. AWKT on the other hand is a different beast altogether, the closest comparison I can compare it to is a warmer more natural ADX5000 similar to verite.

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #50 of 1,365
With so many people saying that the WP900 is detailed I really want to try it again. When I tried it the last time it didnt seem as detailed as I would like and alot of the vocals seem smoothed over.

@JML I would say the WP900 and AWAS are similar with the awas with awas having a tamer midbass bump(but still pretty bassy) and better trebble extention along with bigger soundstage. AWKT on the other hand is a different beast altogether, the closest comparison I can compare it to is a warmer more natural ADX5000 similar to verite.
Hmm which do you think is better verite or awtk

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #51 of 1,365
Hmm which do you think is better verite or awtk
I would say verite is better in that it has slightly better detail and more warth compared to the transperent sounding AWKT but imo unless you are geting a second hand verite at the same ~1800usd verite isnt really worth it now. That being said EQing the mid and upper bass up about a +4dB to 0db slope makes the awkt very fun warm sounding with killing off the details.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #52 of 1,365
I would say verite is better in that it has slightly better detail and more warth compared to the transperent sounding AWKT but imo unless you are geting a second hand verite at the same ~1800usd verite isnt really worth it now. That being said EQing the mid and upper bass up about a +4dB to 0db slope makes the awkt very fun warm sounding with killing off the details.
really more detail hmm, I had the Auteurs blackwood, honestly these take it for details vocals soundstage and imaging are way better I find it hard to believe the verite could actually push out more details. it must be a whole different level from the Auteurs.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #54 of 1,365
Nice to catch your post. Was early purchaser of ATH-MSR7b. Before opening MSR7b box, had replacement leather ear pads ready to swap. Did not open and remove that little felt ring, as concerned would have inoperable pair of headphones. Come from some expensive headphones in past, but approaching mid-sixties, typical high frequency hearing loss + rather bad tinnitus in one ear. Have been downsizing this hobby. ATH-W900's are not that expensive. Could see splurging on them. Wondering about comfort though. Have a small, narrow head, with above average ears, so always careful to see if there is ample room for my ears. Is ear cup space for ATH-W900's at least as good in comfort and room for ears as that of the MSR7b's? Appears big attraction of ATH-W900 might be those wood ear cups? Who has not observed what a draw Fostex wood ear cups are to headphone enthusiasts?
So many woods. So many colors. So much shiny varnish. Like pollen for bees.
I have the WP900 on my head now and find the comfort almost perfect. They're light, the pads are spacious, the headband creates no "hotspots," and they have a breathable quality. I haven't measured it, but the cup size is at least as big as the MSR7B, maybe bigger. The cups are replacable, but I don't know what options are out there. Probably if Yaxi do replacements, I'll get them as I like their materials.

The wooden cups are certainly attractive, but I wouldn't enthuse about them if the sound was garbage. For me, the tuning is perfect on these headphones. Probably a bit v-shaped, but not at the expense of the midrange.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #56 of 1,365
As mentioned in previous post, I've downsized this hobby.
Previously owned Hugo 2 and Aeon Flow Closed. Bought my first "serious" audio gear at an Army PX while serving overseas in early seventies. Have been buying audio gear ever since.
Anyway, to points of this post..
Looking for punches far beyond its price small footprint desktop DAC/Amp that be great match for W900.
Still have my MSR7b (you sold yours, but like it) but if purchase W900, will sell MSR7b.
Currently use MSR7b with Zen Dac. It's OK. Coming from Hugo 2..well, you know :)
To my ears and depending on recording, Zen Dac treble is too hot. I use with JRiver, and really need a good equalizer profile to adjust EQ in JRiver to get this Zen Dac in a better place. The Zen Dac firmware updates I will avoid. Better to EQ with JRiver EQ to tame the treble.
Probably sell Zen Dac and MSR7b when purchase W900 and excellent DAC/Amp to mate with it. Topping seems to sell some interesting DAC/Amps. I've owned some FiiO and iFi gear in past. Still own iFi Nano One to use in small office with Audio Engine A2+. Nothing special, but good for small office computer setup.
The MSR7b and W900 have low impedance, and wonder realistically just how much improvement I can expect with a $250-$400 (my budget) DAC/Amp and W900.
No disrespect meant (I have not heard compared W900 vs MSR7b), but the W900 seems just on specs to be a MSR7b with pretty wood cups.
You love the headphone, but from what I see, you have Pathos tubes and very nice DAC to use with it.
Btw - I too love classical. After that, love many Jazz titles. Yesterday was listening for the umpteenth time to a favorite composer, Chopin. Ballade No.2 Op.38 in F - This one is in my bones till I die.
A favorite (and likely unknown to most Jazz listeners on head-fi or any other music forum). This single track expresses much of what I love about Jazz - first track Blue Stompin' from album Blue Stompin', Hal Singer & Charlie Shavers.
Hi, just in brief, if I may. I don't know about JRiver, but I use the EQ in Roon, which is a fantastic bit of software or on my RME DAC, which has PEQ built in. Both headphones respond very well. There's another chap in this thread who just got some MSR7B and he also finds the treble hot. They may well smoothen out over time.

As to the differences between the MSR7B and WP900, I have to underscore it's not down to their cups. They have completely different drivers, which already creates a significance difference in their signatures. You can read more about the difference specs/features here and here. On a subjective level, this is immediate to grasp. The MSR7B is very flat with an emphasis on the upper region. They're bright headphones, which is why I like them. As I've said, excellent separation for their price range. The WP900 is warmer, far more low end, and far more detail in every region. There is a marked difference between the headphones on technical front, too. If I was in the US and wasn't paying customs tax, I would not hesitate to get the WP900. I think $650 is quite fair, to be honest. I didn't mind paying more to have them imported, as they're keepers. I encourage you to try them; maybe it'll pair well with your set-up or not. I don't know the Zen. I put together my desktop set-up to have a balance of a very clean and revealing DAC with a warmer but also linear sounding tube amp. To me, this set-up works well with most headphones.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #58 of 1,365
If purchased WP900, would not use with Zen Dac. Would be looking for headphone DAC/Amp that would be good match considering sensitivity, impedance and other characteristics of WP900. Although the Pathos looks interesting, ceased using any tube gear years ago as alluring as sound from it could get, introduces stuff into sound that does not belong in accurate reproduction. I don't miss hunting for tubes from UK, Netherlands seller either. That DAC you have is a keeper though.
If you can get the RME, you'll probably be set. More than enough power for most headphones and the amp section is pitch black silent, extremely resolving, and neutral. I'm not a fan of "tubey" or overly "euphonic" sounding tube amps myself, and the Pathos is more on the neutral side of things - it's a hybrid amp, so it combines the speed of a solid state with the analogue quality of a regular tube amp.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #59 of 1,365
If you can get the RME, you'll probably be set. More than enough power for most headphones and the amp section is pitch black silent, extremely resolving, and neutral. I'm not a fan of "tubey" or overly "euphonic" sounding tube amps myself, and the Pathos is more on the neutral side of things - it's a hybrid amp, so it combines the speed of a solid state with the analogue quality of a regular tube amp.
Was editing my post. Apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back