Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #931 of 1,365
I don't think anyone has reported problems with the WP900.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #932 of 1,365
I can't comment on WP900 since I returned mine to the store. But my "god knows how old" (last batch is 2012) D2000 is still alive and kicking. I even mod the crap out of my D2000 open/close so many times somehow it's still alive LOL. My current daily driver D5200 is also still good which I bought last spring/summer?

Actually to be honest I've never had any headphone die on me so far *knock on wood* so I'm not too sure how widespread this driver dying issue is.

Keep in mind WP900 is more v shaped and D5200 has more mids and I guess is more what people call "w shaped"? So depending on your preference it might go either way.
Thanks for your comments. I have only read about D7200's with faults, not read of any issues with the D5200's or D9200's having problems, so (presumably) it's a fault specific to the D7200 drivers?
So are the Older Denon's D2000/D5000/ect fitted with more reliable drivers than the later models I wonder?

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #933 of 1,365
Thanks for your comments. I have only read about D7200's with faults, not read of any issues with the D5200's or D9200's having problems, so (presumably) it's a fault specific to the D7200 drivers?
So are the Older Denon's D2000/D5000/ect fitted with more reliable drivers than the later models I wonder?
The old D2000/5000/7000 was manufactured by Fostex (or their parent company Foster), so while looking similar the drivers were different. I have a D9200 for more than one year, no problems so far. I don’t think there’s a general problem with the new Denon drivers, but I understand your reservations after a failure without support from the manufacturer.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #934 of 1,365
Yeah as plakat said, the older D7000 era were all made by Fostex, and starting from D7100 Denon decide to part ways and make their own driver and headphone. Results weren't good so no one ever talk about the D7100 series. Until D7200 I think Denon finally got their Free Edge drivers right.

D7200 is the first of the new trio (D5200/D9200), might explain why it might have more problems???

But otherwise yeah generally speaking I've never had any headphone with driver dying.

Personally I am really enjoying the D5200. Otherwise definitely let me us know what you decide on later. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #937 of 1,365
Hi Guys,

I'm jumping on this thread without having read the previous 61 pages, so forgive me if this question has been already asked...How reliable are the WP900's?
Here's the reason i ask, I purchased a pair of lightly used Denon D7200's towards the end of December, they sounded WONDERFUL!
A few days ago they developed a problem with one of the speakers, the volume was noticeably lower than the other side and the bass had disappeared.
I checked the internal wiring all good but the speaker is dud, contacted Denon support here in the UK and have not heard back.
I've just sold them on at a substantial loss. When reading the reviews prior to purchase a few owners have had to return the D7200's within days of purchase because of driver failure, I'm one of the unlucky ones. It's the first time I've ever had a driver die on me, and I've used forty year old Sennheiser HD 540's without a single issue.

I am now very wary of what to do next, there are some 'B' Grade Denon d5200's available from certain sources here in the UK that come with a 12 month warranty, but I've seen a couple of pairs of WP900's on ebay. Normally i would not hesitate to purchased used cans but the incident with the D7200's has left me trigger-shy and out of pocket.
Are the WP 900's reliable enough to purchase used, or do they have the Denon QC and reliability issues?
I believe the WP900 would give you a closer punchy sound. If your used to 7200, then stay that size headphones.

D7200 is the first of the new trio (D5200/D9200), might explain why it might have more problems???
That was definitely the issue, as the other two came later on and have no reported issues like the 7200 did.
I believed they rushed the 7200 out early, so having more duds.
Never had any issues with the 9200. Rock solid performer.

Well I've pulled the trigger on a pair of Lawton modified D2000, I do know that these have the older and (hopefully....) more reliable Foster drivers.
Yes they do and they are an excellent choice. Maybe a touch more V shape than the newer fostex THX00 which I would have recommended. They all at similar level gpod performance. Just Signature sound preferences.
I found that the thx00 to be more musical over the more technically proficient Denon 7200.
I found the older denon to also be more musical.
The 9200 was the most revealing and resolving, but a closer image as well.
Thx00 having the bigger stage.

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #939 of 1,365
I have the WP900 and every time I take it out of it's box, I am dumbfounded by the majestically done wood cups...
20220214_091647.jpg

really nice.
But find myself baby-ing them so much I am afraid to have them out! So they stay home.
I had same fear issue with the esw10jpn.

So I like to ask, how has the headphones wood been holding up in normal use?
Would be interesting to see some worn in pictures..
👍

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #940 of 1,365
I have the WP900 and every time I take it out of it's box, I am dumbfounded by the majestically done wood cups...

really nice.
But find myself baby-ing them so much I am afraid to have them out! So they stay home.
I had same fear issue with the esw10jpn.

So I like to ask, how has the headphones wood been holding up in normal use?
Would be interesting to see some worn in pictures..
👍
After a whole year and hundreds of hours of listening mine still look mint, its all about taking good care of them, avoid touching the cups when possible (the cups will accumulate oil from the fingers) its recommended to wipe them from time to time with a dry microfiber cloth when they start to get stained

You can have them out as much as you like just get a case so you dont throw them straight in the backpack

If you sweat a lot I would put one of those headband covers to protect it for when its on my neck, the pads can be replaced the headband not so much

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_192436.jpg
    IMG_20210730_192436.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #941 of 1,365
After a whole year and hundreds of hours of listening mine still look mint, its all about taking good care of them, avoid touching the cups when possible (the cups will accumulate oil from the fingers) its recommended to wipe them from time to time with a dry microfiber cloth when they start to get stained

You can have them out as much as you like just get a case so you dont throw them straight in the backpack

If you sweat a lot I would put one of those headband covers to protect it for when its on my neck, the pads can be replaced the headband not so much
Glad to see I'm not the only one that take care of their headphone.

I put a soft cloth on the table so when I place it down on the table it doesn't get scratches from table surface LOL. I might sound crazy but it does happen!

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #942 of 1,365
I absolutely love mine. Very comfortable cause it’s so light, sound quite balanced for a v shaped headphone. Female vocals are so good on these cans.

Though I don’t agree that it pairs well with Sony daps. I know a few people that works in the audio industry, saying that there’s a bit rivalry between audio technica and Sony. That’s why Sony tune their sounds so that it only fits their own headphones.

If you are looking at the Sony Wm1A (1st gen) or the zx507 to pair with the wp900, i think you are better off with Astell & Kern sr25 mk ii or the Shanling M6 pro 21. They both sound way better at the same price range, with better power output, better software. Sony daps ain’t bad, just a bit overpriced for its hardware.

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #943 of 1,365
Glad to see I'm not the only one that take care of their headphone.

I put a soft cloth on the table so when I place it down on the table it doesn't get scratches from table surface LOL. I might sound crazy but it does happen!
I do th exact same, and thats the same cloth I use to clean the phones, as its a habit it doesnt take me more than 30 seconds and keeps the cans neat for years to come

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #944 of 1,365
I literally literally been through waaaayeee too many Portables & full-size headphones to even want to think about the $$$$$loss!!! lol

So I knew on first listen, that these are special, because it is very noticeable that these actually do punch very high in resolve, close top tier, if not already there.
It's just the signature is obviously tailored, with that punchy bass.

I turned to these, because I recently had tried a very similar headphone, in terms of portable form factor with large earpads (luxurous LCD5 portable),
IMG_20211031_150211.jpg
and was very disappointed by it's almost total lack of upper spectrum. The beautiful mids and punchy bass could not make up for the lack of air. Cymbals on the LCD5 had no decay, as if half of the sound was missing after the initial hit. Extremely upsetting when you have such a beautiful quality headphones.

So it's remarkable coincidence that I am getting a similar bass punch energy, from a similar sized beautiful quality headphones.
:)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #945 of 1,365
I absolutely love mine. Very comfortable cause it’s so light, sound quite balanced for a v shaped headphone. Female vocals are so good on these cans.

Though I don’t agree that it pairs well with Sony daps. I know a few people that works in the audio industry, saying that there’s a bit rivalry between audio technica and Sony. That’s why Sony tune their sounds so that it only fits their own headphones.

If you are looking at the Sony Wm1A (1st gen) or the zx507 to pair with the wp900, i think you are better off with Astell & Kern sr25 mk ii or the Shanling M6 pro 21. They both sound way better at the same price range, with better power output, better software. Sony daps ain’t bad, just a bit overpriced for its hardware.
Whether you like the WP900 with a Sony DAP depends on your sound preferences. I definitely prefer Sony over Astell & Kern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back