Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Aug 28, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #316 of 1,370
Thank you very much for this, it's very helpful. :)

The more I read about the WP900's they seem like what the more punchy, lively complement to the NightOwl's I'm looking for.
You're welcome! I am quite confident that you'll enjoy the WP900; at the very least, you won't hate it, especially if you're a fan of the NightOwl Carbon. :)

I have not heard that Audeze. My wp900 should be here Saturday. Reading all of these glowing comments is making antsy. I really want to get the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation as my next can. Seems like it will also be a great fit. I'm also awaiting more reviews to surface for the new Ibasso SR2. Could be another option.
Let us know what you think about them when they arrive!

By the way, the 3rd Generation of the T5p should be due in the next month, or so. I have the 2nd Gen model, and I am a huge fan. I can't wait to see what Beyerdynamic will introduce in the revised model.

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #317 of 1,370
I’ll definitely give them a go if I have the opportunity.
I also agree with your opinions on the LCD-2 closed; I very much like the sound, albeit treble doesn’t feel as extended as the hifimans. The weight is the biggest reason I can’t consider owning one though, I already had issues with the weight during the half hour I demo’d the 2, 2 closed, and X / XC. It’s a shame because the 2 / 2c bass is the best I’ve heard in any can to this date.
Yes, the LCD-2 Closed Back is, strangely, one of the least illustrious members of the planar fraternity. It's a shame, though, as it is an excellent performer. I actually prefer it to the LCD-XC in most cases. I have both headphones, and I initially preferred the more expensive model; however, with extended listening, the technical and tonal qualities of the LCD-2 Closed Back allow it to outshine its bigger brother. It doesn't help that the LCD-XC has a huge dip in the lower-mids that sucks a lot of life out of male vocals.

With that said, my time with both Audeze headphones has taught me one thing... my neck is actually quite strong. :joy:

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #318 of 1,370
Impact Audio Cables, https://impactaudiocables.com, is another US source. Lindsay is fast, prices are very reasonable, and the quality of his work is impeccable. He has A2DC connectors (in part because I asked him to build me a cable for my WP900 with a 4-pin XLR).

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #319 of 1,370
You're welcome! I am quite confident that you'll enjoy the WP900; at the very least, you won't hate it, especially if you're a fan of the NightOwl Carbon. :)
Ordered the ATH-WP900's from Jaben this morning. Hopefully they'll be here some time next week. I'm hoping this is finally an AT woodie that I stick with. :)

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #320 of 1,370
Yes, the LCD-2 Closed Back is, strangely, one of the least illustrious members of the planar fraternity. It's a shame, though, as it is an excellent performer. I actually prefer it to the LCD-XC in most cases. I have both headphones, and I initially preferred the more expensive model; however, with extended listening, the technical and tonal qualities of the LCD-2 Closed Back allow it to outshine its bigger brother. It doesn't help that the LCD-XC has a huge dip in the lower-mids that sucks a lot of life out of male vocals.

With that said, my time with both Audeze headphones has taught me one thing... my neck is actually quite strong. :joy:
I wish I could say the same about my neck! In my short experiences with the LCD-2 / C and LCD-X / C I also preferred the 2. Most likely because I like listening to male vocal tracks more than female vocal tracks, despite having more female vocal songs in my library.

I do think that the LCD2-Closed and LCDXC are less popular than other closed backs in large part due to their weight - oftentimes closed back is associated with (more) portability than their open back brothers... and the LCD series aren't the best for that due to the weight.

On a side note, do you know if Mimic Cables offers the longer A2DC version that works for the ADX5000 and AP2000ti?

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #321 of 1,370
I wish I could say the same about my neck! In my short experiences with the LCD-2 / C and LCD-X / C I also preferred the 2. Most likely because I like listening to male vocal tracks more than female vocal tracks, despite having more female vocal songs in my library.

I do think that the LCD2-Closed and LCDXC are less popular than other closed backs in large part due to their weight - oftentimes closed back is associated with (more) portability than their open back brothers... and the LCD series aren't the best for that due to the weight.

On a side note, do you know if Mimic Cables offers the longer A2DC version that works for the ADX5000 and AP2000ti?
Well, one thing's for sure, the LCD-XC and LCD-2 Closed Back are decidedly non-portable. I'd actually challenge someone to go a whole day listening to either of these 2 headphones in public. Any takers? :wink:

I am not too sure about the A2DC plugs, though. The guy who replied to me simply mentioned that they have the connectors in stock. However, in my email query, I provided the following image -

1598729664866.png

These plugs resemble the ones found on the stock WP900 cable.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #322 of 1,370
Well, one thing's for sure, the LCD-XC and LCD-2 Closed Back are decidedly non-portable. I'd actually challenge someone to go a whole day listening to either of these 2 headphones in public. Any takers? :wink:

I am not too sure about the A2DC plugs, though. The guy who replied to me simply mentioned that they have the connectors in stock. However, in my email query, I provided the following image -

1598729664866.png

These plugs resemble the ones found on the stock WP900 cable.
Those should work just fine

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #324 of 1,370
I have zero experience with AT upgrade cables; is it safe to assume they are of high build quality and don't color the sound?

A friend who picked up a pair of the WP900 for me is going to drop them off to me tomorrow, so I'll put these cans through the paces with the stock balanced cable. Just wanting to get a feel for the AT branded cable.

Audio-Technica HDC114A 1.2.jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #325 of 1,370
I have zero experience with AT upgrade cables; is it safe to assume they are of high build quality and don't color the sound?

A friend who picked up a pair of the WP900 for me is going to drop them off to me tomorrow, so I'll put these cans through the paces with the stock balanced cable. Just wanting to get a feel for the AT branded cable.

Audio-Technica HDC114A 1.2.jpg
I have that cable in the 2.5mm flavor. Not a bad cable, but I think you can find better for around the same price. It's a little unruly imo. The plug sleeves are plastic - feels a bit cheap. Typical balanced improvements are present, but it's not mind bending.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #327 of 1,370
I have that cable in the 2.5mm flavor. Not a bad cable, but I think you can find better for around the same price. It's a little unruly imo. The plug sleeves are plastic - feels a bit cheap. Typical balanced improvements are present, but it's not mind bending.
Thanks, that is very useful insight. Guess I'll try shopping around to see if I can get a vendor who has A2DC connectors to make me a solidly built, and not stiff, balanced cable for under $200. Guessing that's gonna be difficult.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #329 of 1,370
I also have this cable in 4.4mm. The only thing I don't like about it is that the plug is rather heavy, and has a tendency to spin around. You could contact Luna Shops and probably have one made. Not sure what kind of time frame you might be looking at.
Screenshot_20200831-152912.png

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #330 of 1,370
I have the AT upgraded cable (balanced). Better than stock; I think the bass is a bit tighter and the highs a little smoother, and the construction and materials are far better, but I haven't compared the upgraded cable to the stock cable for any real report; the stock cable is so thin that I worried about it breaking or kinking. The silver-colored connectors on the upgraded cable are not plastic - they're metal. There is an insulator at the A2DC ends (red or black). My braided Impact Audio Cable set for my desktop amp/DAC was $148 (he redid the XLR connector for me, changing it to a Neutrik, and it's on the way back to me now, so I can't post a photo).

The info on the HDC114A/1.2 cables (list $159):
  • 1.2 m (3.9') straight Y-type cable
  • Audiophile headphone cable compatible with ATH-SR9, ATH-ES770H and ATH-ESW990H headphones
  • Cloth-wrapped detachable headphone cable with high-purity copper wire (6N-OFC+ OFC) for precise signal transmission
  • Terminated in a balanced 4.4 mm (1/8") gold-plated stereo output mini-plug, L-shaped, and left/right A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) input connectors
There just aren't many "audiophile" A2DC connectors out there, so the cable makers aren't all able or willing to stock parts for cables for AT cans (most of what you see online are for earbuds).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back