Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Aug 26, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #301 of 1,370
I enjoy planar bass myself, but if I want impressive slam and impact, dynamic drivers do the job best, IMO. The sheer rumble produced by great dynamics, such as the MDR-Z1R and the TH900 Mk2, is simply unbeatable. :)

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree, the WP900 is one of the most beautiful headphones around. The wood cups are simply magnificent.
I didn't get to demo the MDR-Z1R when I had last went to the local hifi store for demos. Back then I think it was me not allowing myself to try headphones outside of my budget haha. Now they're open again, but not allowing headphone demos for cleanliness reasons :frowning2:.

I also still would love to try the TH900 or any of the "true" basshead cans, alas no local store to demo. I do agree that the dynamic slam and impact is very compelling, but something about neutral-ish sound signature planars is perfect to me.

One headphone fits all isn't my style though, so again I'd love to get both the wp900 and the 2 closed. :) I am slightly hoping for a black friday discount on either of the two headphones haha

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #302 of 1,370
It's mainly the front of the earpad on the joint of my jaw that becomes bothersome. With too much clamping force it gets inflamed, causing pain and the tinnitus I have in that ear gets worse. In some cases I can get used to the clamp or the headphones loosen up with a bit of use but a lot of times I just have to move on.
Sorry for the late reply. Comparing the 2, the WP900 was actually the more comfortable headphone. The clamp on the WH-1000XM4 was a little stronger, and its pads didn't feel as plush on and around my ears. The WP900 appears to distribute its weight a little better across its entire structure. Suffice it to say, I preferred to use the WP900, on both comfort and audio fronts.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #303 of 1,370
My wp900 arrive tomorrow. Really looking forward to them

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #304 of 1,370
Thanks bud. It sounds like the Aeon 2 was a big enough improvement to please some, but not most. I agree with your assessment regarding planar and dynamic bass traits. I prefer dynamic drivers in general. The only planar I really enjoyed was the Quad Era-1. It actually sounded somewhat like a dynamic, but the fitment didn't work for me.
Speaking of planars, have you tried the Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back? It's a very good headphone, offering better detail and resolution than the AEON 2 Closed, with a more balanced tonality. Bass quantity is attenuated a little in comparison, but it still offers a lot of that great planar bass - clean and fast, with very good articulation. :)

Its major downside, IMO, is the insane weight; it's almost 650g heavy! Brings a whole new meaning to the term "heavy listening". Heh.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #305 of 1,370
My wp900 arrive tomorrow. Really looking forward to them
Be sure to let us know your impressions. They're definitely my "daily drivers."

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #306 of 1,370
I didn't get to demo the MDR-Z1R when I had last went to the local hifi store for demos. Back then I think it was me not allowing myself to try headphones outside of my budget haha. Now they're open again, but not allowing headphone demos for cleanliness reasons :frowning2:.

I also still would love to try the TH900 or any of the "true" basshead cans, alas no local store to demo. I do agree that the dynamic slam and impact is very compelling, but something about neutral-ish sound signature planars is perfect to me.

One headphone fits all isn't my style though, so again I'd love to get both the wp900 and the 2 closed. :) I am slightly hoping for a black friday discount on either of the two headphones haha
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I enjoy the qualities of planar bass from time to time; it's a breath of fresh air for the times when my ears are inundated with too much dynamic bass. It's good to have a planar and a dynamic in one's collection - they complement each other well, I feel.

Anyway, if you have the time and the opportunity, do listen to the TH900 Mk2 or the MDR-Z1R. In the closed-back, dynamic side of things, these 2 headphones are some of the best in the business. :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #307 of 1,370
Be sure to let us know your impressions. They're definitely my "daily drivers."
Same. They have taken the spot of my Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen). There's something about the WP900's sound.. they are very fun, very addictive. It has become my portable headphone of choice. I just need a new aftermarket cable, and I'm good to go. :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #308 of 1,370
Same. They have taken the spot of my Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen). There's something about the WP900's sound.. they are very fun, very addictive. It has become my portable headphone of choice. I just need a new aftermarket cable, and I'm good to go. :)
Totally agree - addictive is the word. There is something about them that just hits the spot perfectly. Helped by the fact they're incredibly comfortable and also beautiful to look at.

BTW, I just ordered a Forza cable with a Furutech 4.4mm termination. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the other A2DC cables I have (and also to see if the Forza fits the 2000ti).

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #309 of 1,370
Audio 46 in the USA has an open-box WP900 on sale...

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #310 of 1,370
Speaking of planars, have you tried the Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back? It's a very good headphone, offering better detail and resolution than the AEON 2 Closed, with a more balanced tonality. Bass quantity is attenuated a little in comparison, but it still offers a lot of that great planar bass - clean and fast, with very good articulation. :)

Its major downside, IMO, is the insane weight; it's almost 650g heavy! Brings a whole new meaning to the term "heavy listening". Heh.
I have not heard that Audeze. My wp900 should be here Saturday. Reading all of these glowing comments is making antsy. I really want to get the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation as my next can. Seems like it will also be a great fit. I'm also awaiting more reviews to surface for the new Ibasso SR2. Could be another option.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #311 of 1,370
Sorry for the late reply. Comparing the 2, the WP900 was actually the more comfortable headphone. The clamp on the WH-1000XM4 was a little stronger, and its pads didn't feel as plush on and around my ears. The WP900 appears to distribute its weight a little better across its entire structure. Suffice it to say, I preferred to use the WP900, on both comfort and audio fronts.
Thank you very much for this, it's very helpful. :)

The more I read about the WP900's they seem like what the more punchy, lively complement to the NightOwl's I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #312 of 1,370
A friend of mine picked up a pair of these for me, and I expect him to visit my small hometown sometime early next week to drop them off. Looking forward to getting these even though I am decidedly NOT a headphone guy. I owned the ESW9 back in the day, and even though those crushed my ears and just didn't give me enough on the low & top end, I loved them for some reason, selling them reluctantly when I admitted they were never being used at one point a few years ago. Guess I've had a longstanding thing for AT woodies.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #313 of 1,370
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I enjoy the qualities of planar bass from time to time; it's a breath of fresh air for the times when my ears are inundated with too much dynamic bass. It's good to have a planar and a dynamic in one's collection - they complement each other well, I feel.

Anyway, if you have the time and the opportunity, do listen to the TH900 Mk2 or the MDR-Z1R. In the closed-back, dynamic side of things, these 2 headphones are some of the best in the business. :)
I’ll definitely give them a go if I have the opportunity.
I also agree with your opinions on the LCD-2 closed; I very much like the sound, albeit treble doesn’t feel as extended as the hifimans. The weight is the biggest reason I can’t consider owning one though, I already had issues with the weight during the half hour I demo’d the 2, 2 closed, and X / XC. It’s a shame because the 2 / 2c bass is the best I’ve heard in any can to this date.

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #314 of 1,370
Mine arrived today. Love them. Light, look amazing, comfortable and most importantly sounds fantastic. Complete bargain for what I paid

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #315 of 1,370
Totally agree - addictive is the word. There is something about them that just hits the spot perfectly. Helped by the fact they're incredibly comfortable and also beautiful to look at.

BTW, I just ordered a Forza cable with a Furutech 4.4mm termination. I'll be interested to see how it compares to the other A2DC cables I have (and also to see if the Forza fits the 2000ti).
I'm getting a sleeved, braided cable from Mimic Cables. The plethora of colors and designs are mind-blowing, and I'm still mulling on a color scheme, but I should be ordering my cable within the next few days.

Finally, after years of using an IEM on-the-go, I will be commuting with one of the best-looking headphones on the market. It's sure to turn a few heads. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back