Audio Technica ATH-SR5BT: Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #63 of 75
Just got my SR5BT Black today. I'm an amateur at picking headphones by audio profile, but later after listening to JBL E and Everest series I know those werent my type. After reading a lot I understood they sounded 'bassy' and I would be happy with something neutral/transparent. I tried lot of other wireless models, most of them sounded bassy, warm, muddy. But today when I listened to it, I knew rightaway these are the ones I'm after. Fantastic audio profile to my liking, and nice comfort. And if thats not enough it has 35+ hours of rated battery life and high-res mode. I'm blown away.

any suggestions for aftermarket earpads that would fit these?

I'm interested to know this as well. How much does a replacement ear pads cost? Or any after market choices?

Thanks to Giogio and fellow members for the contribution, that helps people like me!

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #64 of 75
Does it have sense to buy such headphones when my phone (Huawei) Honor 8 doesn't support the AptX codec for Bluetooth? It would then only go with standard A2DP with older SBC codec.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #65 of 75
  btw, they're launching what seems like the over-ear version of these phones-

ath ar5bt

Reminds me of how the MDR-10R was Sony's entry-level "hi-res" over-ear headphone (unfortunately they haven't made one since then except the NC and BT variants). I tried the AR5/AR5BT recently (wired though) and I think they have more punchy midbass than the MSR7 or SR5 - pretty tight but there's a bit of a honky tone to the midrange. Treble is not quite as prominent or detailed as the MSR7 or SR5 but extends very nicely. Didn't get a direct comparison but the soundstage a tad small similar to them M50x though sub-bass while the treble isn't as shimmery.  On Amazon Japan they cost 14680 yen which is 130 USD - I'd say very good price.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #67 of 75
It's fairly similar but somewhat less bassy from what I recall.

AR5 are more V-shaped.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #68 of 75
Hey, guys! I was wondering whether you can help me to choose between this headphone (Audio-Technica ATHSR5BT) and Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC. I listen to a variety of genres, from classical to death metal! I'm not really big on bass. I actually prefer a clean sound. I'd appreciate it if you help me to choose. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #69 of 75
I just bought the AR5BT. And I was surprised by how TINY they are ! I didn't test the SR5 so I can't compare, but it's by far the smallest, lightweighted Audio Technica headphones I own. I'm going to put it next to some AT headphones so you can see what I'm talkin' about.
The AR5BT is on the middle. Even if it's foldable, it can't be "flatten". And even when it's fold, the two speakers doesn't fold entirely under the headband (unlike for exemple the M50X), so it doesn't represent a big space economy. But then again, entirely foldable or not, they're very tiny so it's pretty cool.

1539988805-dsc00031.jpg

First issue : the pad. They're very small and thin. It's the first time I see pad like this, because they're oval, made to be "over-ear", but if you have just above average ear size, you're screwed. Personally, my ears fits, but it's tight ! Here how it looks next to the other AT headphones.

Next to the MSR7 (which is very similar to the DSR9BT) :
1539989655-dsc00036.jpg

Next to the WS99BT (round, large on-ear pads, very much like the Plantronics Back Beat Pro) :
1539989737-dsc00041.jpg

Next to the WS1100 (the comfiest AT headphone I own) :
1539989804-dsc00044.jpg

So I'm guessing if you have average/above average ears, don't waste your money, the SR5BT is probably as good. If not, I like very much what Audio Technica tried to do here : a very small, very lightweighted, but yet over-ear headphone. They have a very refine, slick look, with basic but easy-to-use control, plus the autonomy is going up to 30 hours or so (first time I use a bluetooth headphone that can last that long). In fact, to me it's a perfect "lady headphone". Cute, comfy, nomad -- and the fact that they came up with 4 colours (blue, red, white, grey) is pretty smart. I think they should sell it in Europe as Marshall Major concurrent. I wasn't expecting Audio Technica on this field but why not. IMO it's a great gift !

About the sound, well, it's really a poor MSR7. The soundstage is very narrow, it doesn't breathe as good... I mean the sound is clear and very well-balanced, if you know and like the "Sound Reality" signature from Audio Technica, you won't be surprised. But it feels also restrained, with not enough magnitude. You're really paying for the bluetooth here (and the great autonomy) because nowadays the MSR7 is selling for basically the same price, and it's vastly superior to the AR5BT. The WS99BT has also a lot more potential, even if it's a wilder, sometimes unbalanced, headphone (on some songs, it's a beast, on other, it's a mess... and way or another, it's a very tiring headphone, mentally and physically lol). I think the perfect AT headphone is still the DSR9BT, but it's pricy ! MSR7 is probably the best value for money.

Here's the tiny, cute, AR5BT, next to the WS99BT (which isn't very large, but it still bigger), the WS1100 and the MSR7 :
1539990819-dsc00032.jpg

1539990864-dsc00033.jpg

1539990904-dsc00054.jpg

(By the way I'm sorry to all the people who PM me this last year or so, mostly about the DSR9BT. I had gone "off the radar", because when I'm too much on this board, I want to buy too much things and I become obsessed ! I'm sure lot of people here will understand :wink:)

Nov 3, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #70 of 75
My babies...
They broke. :anguished:

The plastic clip holding the size adjustment in position snapped and broke when I was taking the headphones off.

SR5BT_1.jpg SR5BT_2.jpg SR5BT_3.jpg

Is there any way to get a replacement headband for the SR5BT?

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #71 of 75
I love the sound of AR5BT, the fit, weight. It can have better sound isolation and fit if the ear pads can be thicker. I searched online if I can find any thicker ear pads for AR5BT. I could not find any. Did anyone manage to replace the earpads of AR5BT with thicker ones?

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #72 of 75
I love the sound of AR5BT, the fit, weight. It can have better sound isolation and fit if the ear pads can be thicker. I searched online if I can find any thicker ear pads for AR5BT. I could not find any. Did anyone manage to replace the earpads of AR5BT with thicker ones?
I don't know but the SR50BT looks like an AR5BT with thicker pads.

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #73 of 75

This is a bit old... but I'll give it a shot.

How do you describe the sound of the AR5BT's? Do they have good punchy bass (I want a "fun" headphone, not a neutral one), good for metal music (thrash metal, death metal, etc.)?

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #74 of 75
This is a bit old... but I'll give it a shot.

How do you describe the sound of the AR5BT's? Do they have good punchy bass (I want a "fun" headphone, not a neutral one), good for metal music (thrash metal, death metal, etc.)?
It's a fun headphone. As I described it on post#69, it's from Audio Technica's "Sound Reality" signature (like the MSR7 for example), so it's a clear and yet very lively headphone. It has punchy bass, but without sounding muddy or dark. The voice always stays upfront. Now that being said, unlike the MSR7, it's not a very powerful headphone and the soundstage is pretty narrow. It's great for listening to pop. Maybe not ideal for death metal. If I were you, I'll go with the WS990BT (beware, not the WS99BT, which is discontinued), which is a great, powerful, clear and boomy headphone.

Aug 17, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #75 of 75
I got the AR5BT, Compared to my modded a1000z , a2000z, ad2000x it seems limited by the driver, Detail is ok, clarity of treble is ok, the "biggest" problem for me are the mids, they don't sound very clear, by tuning they sound clear , but maybe due to the driver they are limited? Soundstage is small but no problem for me... Mids are my problem lol, Vocals are my priority xD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back