Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 12, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #2,371 of 2,666
Alrright, received the Zeus today! First impressions are positive, if a little mixed. The sound profile is definitely on the warm, smooth side. Everything sounds a little muted, dark, very easy to listen to and enjoy. It is a big, fairly dynamic sound overall; I can see why the comparison to a music hall. While the soundstage is not gigantic, the dark tilt and good warmth definitely make the HP sound grandious. I think calling them veiled would not be fair, but the dark tilt certainly mutes details a little and they are not quite as good in micro details (depending on how much bass a sound has), though macro details are very good. They definitely sound musical and have an engaging sound. Bass is very good in terms of being enveloping and punchy, though sub-bass is a little rolled off. Mids are very smooth and due to the upper bass blanket effect, very smooth, but the texture is certainly good, if a little blunted. Treble extension seems reasonably good, certainly smooth, though not very airy. Sibilance is managed very well with these, vocals can sound a little honky due to the emphasis, but this depends on the range a lot and is not bad. Imaging is average. Comfort is fairly good. The headband could use a little more padding, but so far no hotspots; pads are very nice but the overall clamp is a little high and the headband does not seem receptive to bending. Overall, I'd say these are a very easy listen headphones. I am not sure I'll be keeping them; they are not exactly to my preferences, but they are very pleasant and toe tapping to listen to! The Zeus does feel like a semi open headphone, with the sound qualities associated with that and more isolation than a typical open back headphone.

Now compared to the R70X, they are definitely not as neutral, with the darker, warmer tild. Leading edge / attack of instruments is blunted, there is a less air and micro details are a tie at best, though I'd probably give the nod to the R70x. Macro details is exually good. They both smear the instruments together somewhat, but the Zeus can do it a bit more I think the bass overall, subjectively is better on the Zeus as it sounds bigger and more consistently enveloping in a sense; it is also a more dynamic sounding headphone in the bass IMO, though overall dynamics are somewhat a tie due to the blunting of the edges. Bass guitars have more presence on the Zeus. Sub-bass is more extended on the 70X. The Zeus sounds bigger, but it does not image as well. Sounmdstage sounds more roomy but I'd say it is not much bigger overall. Vocals definitely sound more weighty on the Zeus, but they are more extended and breathy on the R70x. Sibilance is not an issue at all due to the dark tuning, but it is fine on the R70x too. Different vocal texture flavor, it is hard to pick which is better. Treble is clearer and airier on the R70X and more rolled off on the Zeus. Overall timbre is definitely warmer and the sound is weightier on the Zeus, while the R70X is moer neutral and airy, with a nimbler touch. Genre wise, I'd say they are both equally versatile. The 70x is more accurate, agile and breathy, while the Zeus is just a really easy listen with a darker, enjoyable tilt towards the bass. Comfort wise, the headband feels more comfy on the R70X but the pads are definitely better on the Zeus. Short term comfort would be a win for the 70X but long term probably goes to the Zeus because no pressure spots on the ears. Build quality so far on the Zeus feels solid, but my Japan made R70X also felt fine.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #2,373 of 2,666
I can report back that the cable from Lunashops is excellent. It's flexible, soft, lightweight and affordable. I can easily recommend it. For myself, unfortunately, they shipped the wrong size (I ordered 2m and got 1.25m) but customer service is working with me.

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804183900981.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.784518029kPrBX
Alright, I pulled the trigger on these cables too. If I wont like them I will surely blame you for it 😉

Other than that what did customer service decide on the wrong cable length? Do you get another one with the correct length or will you have to send the wrong one back to zhong guo?

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #2,374 of 2,666
Apologies for asking. I am ready now to get new headphones. Thought I’d found a pair of these last week, but they never got delivered (I had arranged COD - quite common here).
Anyway I still have them on my list along with HD600 (predictably) and Hifiman Sundara.
Has anyone actually compared these models please?
Looking for headphones that are best suited to all kinds of classical music.
Cheers

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,375 of 2,666
I have the R70x, HD600 and HE400i (predecessor of the Sundara) all with upgrades cables. I listen to Classical (esp. Mahler, Schönberg, Wagner and Shostakovich) and Jazz.

First of all, if you want to get the best out of the Hifimans , you will need a powerful solid state amp. If you want either of the others to give of their best, it HAS to be an OTL valve amp. At least a Darkvoice 336SE or one of the Little Dots, preferably a WBA or Bottlehead. By and large, the price / performance ratio of the OTLs is very good. I would recommend either the R70x or the HD600 for Classical, with the Sennheiser having the edge on resolution and transparency and the A-T winning on tonal balance / neutrality and soundstaging.

If you’re primarily into chamber music, get the HD600. If you’re more into Mahler’s 8th, go for the R70x!

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #2,376 of 2,666
I have the R70x, HD600 and HE400i (predecessor of the Sundara) all with upgrades cables. I listen to Classical (esp. Mahler, Schönberg, Wagner and Shostakovich) and Jazz.

First of all, if you want to get the best out of the Hifimans , you will need a powerful solid state amp. If you want either of the others to give of their best, it HAS to be an OTL valve amp. At least a Darkvoice 336SE or one of the Little Dots, preferably a WBA or Bottlehead. By and large, the price / performance ratio of the OTLs is very good. I would recommend either the R70x or the HD600 for Classical, with the Sennheiser having the edge on resolution and transparency and the A-T winning on tonal balance / neutrality and soundstaging.

If you’re primarily into chamber music, get the HD600. If you’re more into Mahler’s 8th, go for the R70x!
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I listen to orchestral, baroque, chamber, string quartets and solo instrument albums too. So right across the classical genre apart from opera really.
My set up is IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack which are both only a month old. I won’t be changing those. I believe that they have enough power to drive the headphones I’m looking at efficiently?
I did think that the R70X was favourite but right now I’m leaning towards the Sundara

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,377 of 2,666
Apologies for asking. I am ready now to get new headphones. Thought I’d found a pair of these last week, but they never got delivered (I had arranged COD - quite common here).
Anyway I still have them on my list along with HD600 (predictably) and Hifiman Sundara.
Has anyone actually compared these models please?
Looking for headphones that are best suited to all kinds of classical music.
Cheers
I can't speak for the HD600 as I don't own it, even tho many said the R70x is pretty similar and in many way better.
Regarding the Sundara on the other hand, I can only say that it is indeed the best HP you can get in that price range. It's an amazing value and it will show you what Hi-Fi can be.

The only reason I would take the AT or the HD600 (which you know, as an owner of the Sundara I actually did...) is if you are specifically looking for some features which the Sundara doesn't have, like a laid back presentation. Other than that, the Sundara has way (I mean... on another league imho) more informations, better control in general, better imaging. The soundstage is probably smaller tho.

For Classical specifically I guess it depends on what you are looking into. Do you want to get all the details you can? Go with the Sundara. Do you want to listen to the Music for 6 hours straight without any fatigue (both from ears and head)? Go with the R70x.

I agree with CJG888 about the amping, with the Sundara you can get a good volume out of your phone but it will be really weak and hollow sounding. The R70x can be powered decently with basic dac/amp combo.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,379 of 2,666
I can't speak for the HD600 as I don't own it, even tho many said the R70x is pretty similar and in many way better.
Regarding the Sundara on the other hand, I can only say that it is indeed the best HP you can get in that price range. It's an amazing value and it will show you what Hi-Fi can be.

The only reason I would take the AT or the HD600 (which you know, as an owner of the Sundara I actually did...) is if you are specifically looking for some features which the Sundara doesn't have, like a laid back presentation. Other than that, the Sundara has way (I mean... on another league imho) more informations, better control in general, better imaging. The soundstage is probably smaller tho.

For Classical specifically I guess it depends on what you are looking into. Do you want to get all the details you can? Go with the Sundara. Do you want to listen to the Music for 6 hours straight without any fatigue (both from ears and head)? Go with the R70x.

I agree with CJG888 about the amping, with the Sundara you can get a good volume out of your phone but it will be really weak and hollow sounding. The R70x can be powered decently with basic dac/amp combo.
Thank you. I think you have confirmed my thinking re the Sundara, in that it is probably the best one of the three.
Re what I want from a headphone, I’d say detail retrieval, instrument separation and involvement with the music.
As previously my amp/DAC set up is an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack. Month old. I don't want to change this any time soon.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #2,380 of 2,666
Thank you. I think you have confirmed my thinking re the Sundara, in that it is probably the best one of the three.
Re what I want from a headphone, I’d say detail retrieval, instrument separation and involvement with the music.
As previously my amp/DAC set up is an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack. Month old. I don't want to change this any time soon.
I don't see any problem with the Zen stack. I've driven mine with the EL AMP II which is only 1.3W into 32Ohms (if I'm not mistaken) for many months.

It really came to life with a balanced cable and a better Amp/dac tho, but I think your amp can manage it pretty decently.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #2,381 of 2,666
As you have a reasonably powerful solid state amp, the Sundara would probably be best. It is slightly easier to drive than the original HE-400i (which I have), so no problems there.

The other two really benefit from valve amplification, which is clearly not an option here.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #2,382 of 2,666
When I had both I used the Sundara solely for music, and the R70x I used as an all rounder for games and music, because it's so light and has great imaging.
I sold the Sundara and got the OG Clear and ended up keeping the R70x as an all rounder if that helps lol

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #2,383 of 2,666
When I had both I used the Sundara solely for music, and the R70x I used as an all rounder for games and music, because it's so light and has great imaging.
I sold the Sundara and got the OG Clear and ended up keeping the R70x as an all rounder if that helps lol
Yeah I’m doing basically the same with the Arya SE.
When I want to sit down and listen to music seriously I reach for the Arya, while for generic day to day usage I love the R70x.
But there is no way I would keep the R70x over the sundara if I had to have only 1 HP.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2,384 of 2,666
Alright, I pulled the trigger on these cables too. If I wont like them I will surely blame you for it 😉

Other than that what did customer service decide on the wrong cable length? Do you get another one with the correct length or will you have to send the wrong one back to zhong guo?
I'm going to keep the cable and they're going to refund me the difference in price between what I paid and the one I received. Not ideal but the logistics of shipping back would not be good. They at least are being helpful and willing to work with me, though the time difference makes communication more lengthy. I'm going to re-sell the cable; I'll probably post it in the classifieds here as well as on Reddit AVExchange.

On another topic my Hart R70x cables show up today, I'll post a report when I can.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,385 of 2,666
So I tried something mentioned here recently - cotton pads underneath the R70x earpad; between it and the transducer grill. Afterwards I noticed a sound that was somewhat more v-shaped and reduced the dynamics. The lower end became almost overpowering and the highs somewhat fatiguing, with drums that didn't hit hard enough. Not sure if that was caused by the earpad mod or other changes in my system, so after trying it for a few days I confirmed after removing the extra cotton, this was the culprit. It was at most about 1/4 inch of cotton all the way around, which was about the most that I could fit under it without causing the them to fall off from being overstretched.

Anyone have any other recommendations for ear pads that don't change the sound signature and are somewhat deeper than the original? To achieve that it probably should be made out of the same material. I've already tried five to six other types of ear pads and the sound signature changed drastically, and I noticed it even changes likewise just by adding cotton underneath. Now I'm getting great sound, but my ears are still touching the grill. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back