Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #2,386 of 2,669
I'm looking at a Fog City Audio cable for my R70x. After sitting for a week in Compton, CA I think my cable from AliExpress is never going to make it to me. Despite the monetary savings I don't know that I care to roll the dice again.
I can vouch for Fog City's customer service. I had a couple of questions, and Patrick (owner) got back to me within the hour. I ordered the cable (balanced for DCA Flow Closed X, hirose and pentaconn connectors) Monday late afternoon, and it arrived today (Thursday). He's in San Francisco, does really good work with reasonable prices, and has a variety of cable connectors and sheathing color options. All Mogami cable. No microphonics, and no tangling! It's an Etsy site, look for Fog City Audio. I am not usually this effusice, but I am VERY pleased with the cable.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #2,387 of 2,669
I can vouch for Fog City's customer service. I had a couple of questions, and Patrick (owner) got back to me within the hour. I ordered the cable (balanced for DCA Flow Closed X, hirose and pentaconn connectors) Monday late afternoon, and it arrived today (Thursday). He's in San Francisco, does really good work with reasonable prices, and has a variety of cable connectors and sheathing color options. All Mogami cable. No microphonics, and no tangling! It's an Etsy site, look for Fog City Audio. I am not usually this effusice, but I am VERY pleased with the cable.
Thank you! I actually ended up going with Hart. I do appreciate your recommendation, though.

Regarding the Hart cables I've been very happy. They're lightweight, flexible, and I love the interlock system.

PXL_20220823_032739253.jpg

Aug 26, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #2,388 of 2,669
Thank you! I actually ended up going with Hart. I do appreciate your recommendation, though.

Regarding the Hart cables I've been very happy. They're lightweight, flexible, and I love the interlock system.

PXL_20220823_032739253.jpg
Did you hear any difference against the stock cable?

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,390 of 2,669
Just recieved a used R70X and have been listening to it for a couple of hours.

I must confess that I find them to be a fairly dark sounding headphone. Excellent bass extension and some warmth, very neutral midrange, and a fairly subdued treble response.

To my ears, there seems to be a considerable dip somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble, causing upper registers of electric guitar and piano to sound hollow and distant. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #2,391 of 2,669
Just recieved a used R70X and have been listening to it for a couple of hours.

I must confess that I find them to be a fairly dark sounding headphone. Excellent bass extension and some warmth, very neutral midrange, and a fairly subdued treble response.

To my ears, there seems to be a considerable dip somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble, causing upper registers of electric guitar and piano to sound hollow and distant. Has anyone had a similar experience?
You need to upgrade the cable. I use a Lavricables Ultimate Silver and it "corrects" most of the deficiencies you are hearing with the R70x's.

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #2,392 of 2,669
I got these maybe 2 weeks ago and I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO THEM. Especially on my Feliks Audio Espressivo Mk2 tube amp. It's an HD600 with way better bass and soundstage. A bit clearer highs but not as detailed. Maybe clear isn't the right adjective.....more open? Sure the detail retrieval isn't what the HD6__ are but I find them FAR more enjoyable in most genres. Im in my mid 40s so the shoutiness doesn't bother me at all and actually I come to welcome it. I love these cans

Sep 4, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #2,393 of 2,669
I've been listening to the r70x for two days now, and I wanted to share my thoughts on the headphone in comparison to the HD650.

Build wise, I thing they are wonderful - light, yet sturdy and well designed. I have a fairly large head, and find myself pushing the two wings right to the headband, creating a little bit of tension on the top of my head. Overall, still a very comfortable headphone.

Sound wise, this is where the r70x gets interesting for me - some things I think they do very well, but this one thing is really bugging me.

Let's start with the positives:

- Bass quantity and subbass extension are very very good for a dynamic of this price range, and they easily best the 650's in this department imo.

- In terms of midrange, these are my new reference for a neutral midrange response. Clear and balanced, I am actually struggling to say that the 650's midrange are outrightperior in any respect. Sure, vocals do come off drier on the r70x, but they are incredibly lifelike and dynamic, presented without the 'shoutiness' that some note on the HD6 series of headphones.

- These are not a wide sounding headphone like the HD800's but width is a little better than the 650's, with imaging following the same trend as well

- The punchy and extended bass, combined with the balanced and life-like presentation of the midrange make these a more dynamic listen than the 650's especially for pop or rock music.

And now my one problem with these headphone: To my ears, there is a bit of a hole in the very upper midrange/low treble area, where the higher pitch guitar strums and backing piano of tracks sound distant and lacking in body. Yet these are not dark headphone, as I find treble extension to be pretty darn good. So while these don't lack any air up top, there is this percieved 'hole' in the aformentioned frequencies where it actually makes a lot of my tracks (anything with piano, more acoustic tracks) sound quite off compared to many of my other headphones. The rest of the frequency response I find to be dynamic and balanced, but this one element of the sound can make many tracks sound a little compressed, messing up the overall timbre and realism of the track.

This is really a shame for me, because I find everything else about this headphone to be best-in-class in its pricerange. Maybe some more brain burn-in will help, but right now, I still find the HD650 sounds more 'right' with respect to the overall presentation, despite the r70x besting it in many induvidual technicalities.

This is just my opinion, and I would love to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees with me on this!

Sep 13, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,396 of 2,669
Has anyone found anywhere to buy the official replacement ear pads? From a Japanese website? Because I can't find them anywhere else.

Or, failing that, is there any 3rd party earpad that fits and doesn't change the sound? I've heard that the Brainwavz pads cause the treble to get hotter and you lose some bass...

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,397 of 2,669
I've been sending emails to Audio Technica and was passed around to different departments twice about the pads. Until now, still no reply.

Because of this, the longetivity of these cans will only depend on how long the pads last or maintain the original sound

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #2,398 of 2,669
Has anyone found anywhere to buy the official replacement ear pads? From a Japanese website? Because I can't find them anywhere else.

Or, failing that, is there any 3rd party earpad that fits and doesn't change the sound? I've heard that the Brainwavz pads cause the treble to get hotter and you lose some bass...
Contact Audio Technica in your region.

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #2,399 of 2,669
You need to upgrade the cable. I use a Lavricables Ultimate Silver and it "corrects" most of the deficiencies you are hearing with the R70x's.
ohhh do they come with the weird audiotechnica special jack?so irritating trying to find a jack that works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back