Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #2,341 of 2,669
Pulled the trigger thanks to some suggestion in a dedicated topic (I asked for a relaxed-background listening HP on the suggestion board), been looking for a can to listen to while working that won't distract me too much. I'm also pretty prone to feeling hot spots on top of my head with traditional headband style headphones (focal elegia was a nightmare), so it may be the one for real.
Actually I think I could wear the Arya SE for hours too while working, but I'm also a bit clumsy and it will surely end with the poor Aryas being banged on something else in my desk at some point.

I'm going to power them with my cool little JDS (1.3W in 32Ohms), hoping it will be enough to make justice for them.

Does anyone listen to modern prog-rock/prog metal with the R70x? Like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Dream Theater (although they may not fit in the modern category).

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #2,342 of 2,669
Pulled the trigger thanks to some suggestion in a dedicated topic (I asked for a relaxed-background listening HP on the suggestion board), been looking for a can to listen to while working that won't distract me too much. I'm also pretty prone to feeling hot spots on top of my head with traditional headband style headphones (focal elegia was a nightmare), so it may be the one for real.
Actually I think I could wear the Arya SE for hours too while working, but I'm also a bit clumsy and it will surely end with the poor Aryas being banged on something else in my desk at some point.

I'm going to power them with my cool little JDS (1.3W in 32Ohms), hoping it will be enough to make justice for them.

Does anyone listen to modern prog-rock/prog metal with the R70x? Like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Riverside, Dream Theater (although they may not fit in the modern category).
They honestly sound enjoyable and musical with everything, so there's no need to worry :)

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,344 of 2,669
Just picked up a pair of R70x running them off the TAZH1ES on high gain.

Really nice for a pair of open backs and doesn’t break down when you push the volume up. Wondering if there are aftermarket balanced cables for it?
Check with here on Etsy. Arctand in Singapore. He's amazingly friendly and shipping was fast on the last cable I got from him (3.5mm to RCA, the best I've ever heard in my 10+ years in the hobby, and affordable).

It's the culmination of much research and contacting quite a few custom cable makers there. I'm still waiting to receive it but I honestly thing this thing is going to slay some wicked performance!
icm_fullxfull.468555923_dvbf4f8euq04cogok88s.jpg

He made mine with 26 AWG copper-silver hybrid Neotech cable. 4 wires but he offered to use 8, including 4 extra copper wires which would have been the optional extra wire you see on the left. He thought it would add more bass, but I didn't want it too thick and have faith in Neotech.
icm_fullxfull.463767654_6nz5p5a79b4084k4s8ck.jpg

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,345 of 2,669
I also added a full copper shield because I think shielding plays a major role in optimal fidelity in audio cables. He also braided the 4 wires around a center core to reduce crosstalk. It's still on the way from Singapore so I can post again after trying with the r70x, but the seller above can be contacted for many options.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #2,347 of 2,669
Looking at buying a pair of these now. Would be using them with an IFi Zen DAC v2 and Zen Can stack, mostly for classical music. Would this be a good pairing please? Thanks
It depends, by clasical are you looking more at chamber and solo music or more concert based music? With the IFI pairing you get quite a big center image and not alot of stage making for quite the intimate pairing. Better for jazz and those with smaller groups of instuments as you get very good saperation but not that good imaging as alot of instruments sound saperate but overlayed.

Maybe AKG K702 with the bass boost on the ifi turned on might be better with your setup if its strictly all types of europian classical .

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #2,349 of 2,669
It depends, by clasical are you looking more at chamber and solo music or more concert based music? With the IFI pairing you get quite a big center image and not alot of stage making for quite the intimate pairing. Better for jazz and those with smaller groups of instuments as you get very good saperation but not that good imaging as alot of instruments sound saperate but overlayed.

Maybe AKG K702 with the bass boost on the ifi turned on might be better with your setup if its strictly all types of europian classical .
Thanks for the reply. So the R70X plus IFi stack loses a lot of the soundstage compared to the IFi stack with my Grado SR325x which gives a decently wide soundstage? That’s disappointing.
I listen to a broad mixture of orchestral, string quartets, chamber music and solo instrument albums to be honest. Plus Classic Rock, Prog Rock and Americana.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #2,350 of 2,669
I'm looking at a Fog City Audio cable for my R70x. After sitting for a week in Compton, CA I think my cable from AliExpress is never going to make it to me. Despite the monetary savings I don't know that I care to roll the dice again.
Customs might just be backed up, I got a cable from Ali express a few weeks ago and it sat in Compton for over a week and then it just showed up in my mailbox without any tracking update.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,351 of 2,669
Customs might just be backed up, I got a cable from Ali express a few weeks ago and it sat in Compton for over a week and then it just showed up in my mailbox without any tracking update.
Thank you! That gives me some hope, maybe their sorting center is just crazy-busy or understaffed or something.

In the interim after some research I'm now talking with Hart Audio, I got a good recommendation on them and their interconnect system looks very interesting. I'll report back.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #2,352 of 2,669
Thanks for the reply. So the R70X plus IFi stack loses a lot of the soundstage compared to the IFi stack with my Grado SR325x which gives a decently wide soundstage? That’s disappointing.
I listen to a broad mixture of orchestral, string quartets, chamber music and solo instrument albums to be honest. Plus Classic Rock, Prog Rock and Americana.
A lot of it is likely due to the shallow pads. Unfortunately, they're quite difficult to find replacements for.
What I do is I use two firm, hard foam cutouts and put them inside the pads to increase the depth a little. It's helped me with a few headphones when the pads compressed too much or were too shallow

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #2,353 of 2,669
A lot of it is likely due to the shallow pads. Unfortunately, they're quite difficult to find replacements for.
What I do is I use two firm, hard foam cutouts and put them inside the pads to increase the depth a little. It's helped me with a few headphones when the pads compressed too much or were too shallow
Thanks for sharing the idea. I’ll bear that in mind.
It’s strange though looking back through this thread, that quite a few were saying that the soundstage is immense. Yet it’s apparently very narrow? Has something changed in the make up of the R70X to affect that? Or is it just a case of differing opinions?

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #2,354 of 2,669
Thanks for sharing the idea. I’ll bear that in mind.
It’s strange though looking back through this thread, that quite a few were saying that the soundstage is immense. Yet it’s apparently very narrow? Has something changed in the make up of the R70X to affect that? Or is it just a case of differing opinions?
Well, for one the amplifier used makes a difference. The R70X is high impedance, so when that load doesn't work with that particular amplifier, all sorts of things can happen, including tonality changes, soundstage shrinking, etc. I personally think soundstage is not the 70X's strong suit but on my particular setup it sounds natural but not particularly spacious, and a little blended. It is nonetheless enjoyable.
Your ears also play a part; if they protrude more, you further reduce the distance to the driver and further reduce the soundstage as well. In addition, I think we all perceive soundstage differently, so that should explain why what others may describe as spacious, you may perceive as narrow.
Ultimately, I am actually returning my pair because the pads still caused me long term discomfort, and as much as I love the tonality, it is not the most resolving headphone. I would have likely kept it if it weren't for the comfort issues though. It is really enjoyable to listen to.

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,355 of 2,669
Well, for one the amplifier used makes a difference. The R70X is high impedance, so when that load doesn't work with that particular amplifier, all sorts of things can happen, including tonality changes, soundstage shrinking, etc. I personally think soundstage is not the 70X's strong suit but on my particular setup it sounds natural but not particularly spacious, and a little blended. It is nonetheless enjoyable.
Your ears also play a part; if they protrude more, you further reduce the distance to the driver and further reduce the soundstage as well. In addition, I think we all perceive soundstage differently, so that should explain why what others may describe as spacious, you may perceive as narrow.
Ultimately, I am actually returning my pair because the pads still caused me long term discomfort, and as much as I love the tonality, it is not the most resolving headphone. I would have likely kept it if it weren't for the comfort issues though. It is really enjoyable to listen to.
Oh its a shame that you are having to return your pair. To be honest the comfort issue you experienced was also mentioned to me recently by a friend, who also returned his despite loving the sound. But another acquaintance has no issues with them and indeed rates them much higher than his HD600. Again I guess it all comes down to the individual.
Well mine hopefully will arrive today or tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to hearing them. At the price paid (£150) they were too tempting not to try!
Re the soundstage, as you say, I’ll see how they react with my IFi Zen stack. I do have a little tube hybrid that I can try them with too. Yes I’d like a wide soundstage for the orchestral albums I listen to, but to be fair, overall sound tonality, instrument separation and imaging, and detail are more important.
And if they prove not to be so suitable to that genre, hopefully they will be better with the chamber music, string quartets and solo instrument albums.
Also the more acoustic guitar based Americana that I love too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back