Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,311 of 2,666
@DecentLevi: "Would you recommend I still go with the R70x again, or does Audio Technica have any even more competent contenders at about the same price and performance I should consider (with similar sound signature)?"

The ATH-R70X are still probably the best bet.

Audio-Technica's other "studio" headphones are closed-back and there are complaints about bad build quality (breaking hinge) on the ATH-M70X (closed) in the same price range. I have tried some of the lower-priced closed studio models, M40X and M50X, and thought they were congested and dull, and had more coloration than I would want in a studio. By comparison the ATH-R70X sound open and near-transparent to me, and you already know about the comfort.

Meanwhile, reviews of the comparably priced "audiophile" ATH-AD900X almost uniformly cite weak bass and uneven midrange.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audio-technica-air-dynamic-headphones-ath-ad900x.15959/

Seems to me like the power and tube warmth of your new setup would go nicely with the ATH-R70X. The best price is here -- though they do add shipping -- and it's returnable.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #2,312 of 2,666
The ATH-R70X are still probably the best bet.

Audio-Technica's other "studio" headphones are closed-back and there are complaints about bad build quality (breaking hinge) on the ATH-M70X (closed) in the same price range. I have tried some of the lower-priced closed studio models, M40X and M50X, and thought they were congested and dull, and had more coloration than I would want in a studio. By comparison the ATH-R70X sound open and near-transparent to me, and you already know about the comfort.

Meanwhile, reviews of the comparably priced "audiophile" ATH-AD900X almost uniformly cite weak bass and uneven midrange.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audio-technica-air-dynamic-headphones-ath-ad900x.15959/

Seems to me like the power and tube warmth of your new setup would go nicely with the ATH-R70X. The best price is here -- though they do add shipping -- and it's returnable.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

For this sound signature this is the only AT I know of even including more expensive models, the only other what I consider good AT I came across in this price range (or less) is the closed A990Z but that's a colored sounding headphone so not a similar sound signature. The R70x is indeed the best bet for an AT.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #2,313 of 2,666
I am considering buying a pair of R70Xs. But do they even sell original Audio Technica R70X replacement ear pads?
Googling did find me an instruction video on the Audio Technica website about how to remove and replace the ear pads on the R70Xs. But then browsing this site for replacement ear pads for the R70Xs there are... NONE? What the f? On the Dutch/European site, they do sell replacement pads for the A900Xs, a pair of headphones that is discontinued? Why not replacement pads for a pair of headphones that is specifically designed for professional use?
Yes there are Brainwavz ear pads, but sod it, I don't like pads that are thicker and most likely alter the sound Audio Technica has intended....

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #2,314 of 2,666
I am considering buying a pair of R70Xs. But do they even sell original Audio Technica R70X replacement ear pads?
Googling did find me an instruction video on the Audio Technica website about how to remove and replace the ear pads on the R70Xs. But then browsing this site for replacement ear pads for the R70Xs there are... NONE? What the f? On the Dutch/European site, they do sell replacement pads for the A900Xs, a pair of headphones that is discontinued? Why not replacement pads for a pair of headphones that is specifically designed for professional use?
Yes there are Brainwavz ear pads, but sod it, I don't like pads that are thicker and most likely alter the sound Audio Technica has intended....
I believe you have to contact them for the pads, I think it was mentioned they only cost like $12 or something.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #2,315 of 2,666
Ok thanks!

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,316 of 2,666
Cool guys, thanks for your input. These are starting to seem attractive.. again, LOL. And @earmonger that link you sent thommanmusic.com seems good, but I'm in the USA, and it looks like they shipped from either Australia or Germany, is that true? If so, is the speed to the US very good?

I would definitely want to replace the headphone cable though. I already have something that may fit, but it is 2 instead of 3 pin 3.5mm on both R/L sides. I wonder if that would work?

And for earpads, do you know which other type of headphones they are compatible with? For example would replacement earpads for Sennheiser HD 600 or Beyeynamic DT 700 pads fit? I've already got a bunch of unused pads I could try from Brainwavz and Dekoni.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #2,317 of 2,666
Cool guys, thanks for your input. These are starting to seem attractive.. again, LOL. And @earmonger that link you sent thommanmusic.com seems good, but I'm in the USA, and it looks like they shipped from either Australia or Germany, is that true? If so, is the speed to the US very good?

I would definitely want to replace the headphone cable though. I already have something that may fit, but it is 2 instead of 3 pin 3.5mm on both R/L sides. I wonder if that would work?

And for earpads, do you know which other type of headphones they are compatible with? For example would replacement earpads for Sennheiser HD 600 or Beyeynamic DT 700 pads fit? I've already got a bunch of unused pads I could try from Brainwavz and Dekoni.

They cables are wired in a way that the cable has no left or right side and doesn't matter which side is used. I think they need a wiring diagram to work right. I plan on replacing the cable on mine as well, I feel the stock cable is something that holds them back some. Pads I haven't rolled much, I had some Yaxi MSR7 comfort pads and they actually fit despite being a bit of a tight fit. No idea on the DT 700 Pro X pads as I'm not familiar with those pads, I know other Beyer pads are a no though.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2,318 of 2,666

I got mine elsewhere, so I don't know about shipping times from Thomann. I'd try their email contact and ask. Fixed price from USA stores seems to be $350, so you could save $50-$60.

The cable is nonstandard, with a peculiar locking connector. No idea whether any cable you have on hand would work. Here's one (untried by me) on Amazon that shows the connectors--compare to what you have.
https://www.amazon.com/NEOMUSICIA-R...ional-Headphone/dp/B01J5NDSBA#customerReviews

As the previous poster wrote, one feature of the ATH-R70X cable is that it doesn't matter which end you plug into which headphone -- R and L stay correct because of the way the cable locks into the phones. Apparently that Neomusica replacement cable linked above does not have that feature, so you have to test which channel is which.

The pads are round, 100mm diameter. Elsewhere in this thread people have linked to Brainwavz XL and others. For what it's worth, I've used my ATH-R70X for hours daily since I got them in fall 2021, and to my amazement, the original pads have no visible wear.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2,319 of 2,666
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #2,320 of 2,666
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #2,322 of 2,666
I think I might buy these again. Though I am also debating the Sonys MA900. I used to own both of these and loved them to bits. They're both unique but the R70X just might work better as an all-rounder.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,323 of 2,666

Thomann is absolutely a fantastic retailer, I strongly recommend them. I just received my R70x from them today; it arrived from Germany to here in the Seattle area in just a few days. This is my second headphone purchase from them (previous was a K712 Pro) and that arrived just as quickly and easily. Their customer service is also fantastic; I had a return/replacement on the K712's and their folks are wonderful to work with.

On another question: Can anyone recommend a case for the R70x? That carrying bag that came with them isn't going to do a thing for protection.

The cable was an obvious immediate replacement. I didn't have the money to buy one of the fancy ones from Etsy so I found this one on AliExpress. They're having a ridiculous sale right now and I got the cable for 77% off. The sale I believe ends in a few hours and that seller has a number of other cables compatible with the R70x so get on it if you're interested. I have it on good authority from the Cheap Headphone Cables Thread that the seller is legit.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,324 of 2,666
I just got my r70x today, thanks to the recommendation here, and it was actually my 2nd time owning one. Just as I recall from the best amp pairing - I would still describe these are having great prowess with dynamics including fast transient respond / snap, and although a slight nod to a bright/ thin sound signature, it is highly pleasing, resolving, fast, sweet, and has head-spinning soundstage abilities.

Though a caveat with mine, is that the left channel exhibits a modest distortion on lower frequencies. The symptom is exactly the same as I've experienced with one or two other headphones, and in that case the solution was taking it apart and removing a piece of hair that was touching the transducer. Here's to hoping that will be the same solution here, and that I will figure out how to fully open it up. I got it from a used eBay seller in the east coast US, and in good condition, but I think he doesn't allow returns.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2,325 of 2,666
I just got my r70x today, thanks to the recommendation here, and it was actually my 2nd time owning one. Just as I recall from the best amp pairing - I would still describe these are having great prowess with dynamics including fast transient respond / snap, and although a slight nod to a bright/ thin sound signature, it is highly pleasing, resolving, fast, sweet, and has head-spinning soundstage abilities.

Though a caveat with mine, is that the left channel exhibits a modest distortion on lower frequencies. The symptom is exactly the same as I've experienced with one or two other headphones, and in that case the solution was taking it apart and removing a piece of hair that was touching the transducer. Here's to hoping that will be the same solution here, and that I will figure out how to fully open it up. I got it from a used eBay seller in the east coast US, and in good condition, but I think he doesn't allow returns.
Hope it's just a piece of hair causing that. I've honestly got a bit of a some Tesla Beyer vibes from their presentation but tuned neutrally. Not quite as resolving as the Tesla's and there are some other differences but how it's transients, PRaT, imaging, etc. are reminds me a bit of them. It's very easy for me to come from a Tesla Beyer to them due to their similarities, whereas coming from say a Senn, is more of an adjustment even though the Senns have a more similar frequency response.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back