Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 4, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #2,281 of 2,669
R70x could be one of my fav hp if it wasn't for the headband and small pads,

Even large pads fits on it, the headbands will not match with the pads very well.

The original pads were good but only fits well for small ears.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #2,282 of 2,669
I have some hybrid perforated oval Brainwavz pads that are larger than the stock pads. They work well as a replacement for the stock pads IMO.

May 4, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,283 of 2,669
Sorry, I don't. I'm using sheep leather pads by that brainz company from Singapore (sorry I forgot their name)
Brain wavz, that's them, they are very comfortable even in the tropical heat. Sound signature is a little darker asks more full on low end which is not what these headphones needed :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #2,285 of 2,669
I tried quite a few, and found that as long as you stick to a similar suede material, you can get away with different pads.

Curious if anyone has a recommendation for something better for classical? I will be recording chamber/organ/various ensembles and need something to do good stereo mixes on from a control room. I have largely been absent from these forums for a bit because I have been so content with the R70X, ER2SE, and modded DT770s. Basically everything covered.

But R70x just do not have the soundstage or imaging to trust a mix.

DT1990s seem like the obvious choice and good price point. Won't have to worry about them breaking being thrown in a bag, should work fine off my RME interface.
I ever have 70x and 1990p.
Transient on 1990p is much better and the headphone is much easier to drive, also the comfort is way better. The positioning, soundstage, detail are way better too. The tuning is also good for mixing (maybe with balanced pads you will hear a bit over bass and little laid back vocal, but it's still very usable)

I'm Also working on mix/master/record. (I'm still a beginner btw), and I much prefer dt1990.

Well r70x is better on easy listening (1990 also good), but the comfort and detail is a no for me. (Also require amp for better transient and dynamic).

It's kinda fair since both have huge price gap. Both are good headphone and my fav!

Definitely will get r70x again when my studio was completed.

So you already have 770 pro, it sounds a bit similar (the laid back/recessed vocal) but everything is far better and it sounds much balanced.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,286 of 2,669
Actually R70x good reference headphones with a neutral sound, for this price they have virtually no competitors, just need to be borne in mind slightly "blurred" middle and slightly protruding midbass, but these are such small things that can be not talk. As for the pads.. they are little bit small, but have to put up with it )

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #2,287 of 2,669
Both the blurred midrange and the boosted upper bass can be fixed with a better cable. Like its core competitor, the HD600, it is hampered by a nasty stock cable, barely worthy to be used as a bootlace! Throw it in the bin, where it belongs.

These cans MUST be used with tubes. It’s compulsory, not an option.

May 23, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,288 of 2,669
Both the blurred midrange and the boosted upper bass can be fixed with a better cable. Like its core competitor, the HD600, it is hampered by a nasty stock cable, barely worthy to be used as a bootlace! Throw it in the bin, where it belongs.

I haven’t upgraded the cable on mine yet. What cable(s) do you suggest?

May 23, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,289 of 2,669
I‘m using Forza Audioworks Hybrid Series.

May 24, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,290 of 2,669

Can you rec any good budget SE & XLR cable for r70x?

May 24, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #2,291 of 2,669
As I said, FAW Hybrid Series.

May 24, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2,294 of 2,669
Just send Matt an e-mail. He can make a cable to fit (almost) anything.

May 26, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #2,295 of 2,669
I have some hybrid perforated oval Brainwavz pads that are larger than the stock pads. They work well as a replacement for the stock pads IMO.
XL? Or just normal oval pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back