Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 26, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #2,296 of 2,669
May 26, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #2,297 of 2,669
When I measure they are the same size as Brainwavz list as the normal oval pads, 110*90 mm.
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/hybrid-earpads/products/headphone-pad-hybrid

The only difference I spot is that my pair is also perforated on the outside and the ones on the Brainwavz site are only perforated on the inside. They may have changed that during production.

Wasn't your pad the Oval model? Or you got the Round one? Normal Oval is 100*100mm, the XL is a little bigger 110*110mm with a bigger inner hole too.
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...s-round-perforated-pu-leather-various-colours

May 26, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,298 of 2,669
Wasn't your pad the Oval model? Or you got the Round one? Normal Oval is 100*100mm, the XL is a little bigger 110*110mm with a bigger inner hole too.
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...s-round-perforated-pu-leather-various-colours
These are my pads:
1653590928623.png

May 27, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #2,300 of 2,669
Nice the oval fits I think I'll buy the Micro Suede oval instead of the round XL.
Hope the Micro Suede can stretch.
R70X_OvalPads2.jpgR70X_OvalPads.jpg
I have upped the brightness considerably on these pictures to better show how the pads look when mounted on the headphones.

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #2,301 of 2,669
The new pads and cable arrived, I really wanted Brainwavz or at least something made of microsuede/velour but I live in Brazil and nothings ships here. I got 100mm Deafen Pads as suggested by the guy that also had HPAEC1540 and preferred the Deafen (couldn't find his post again but was in this thread).

It was impossible to use this headphone before but now they are much better, comfort is still not great (I've been spoiled by the giant Edition XS pads) but they are usable now. It just bothers me how the back and lower parts of the pad don't seal at all, they just hang lightly touching the back of my ears.

I expected the solid leather would produced bloated bass but I have so much hair and a strange head that the pads won't seal so I didn't notice any significant change in the lows. I don't want to meticulously compare both pads because I can get hyper focused in those details and spend multiple hours trying each one. What I noticed is a little increase in some treble frequencies (in specific songs) that can the fatiguing but I edited Oratory's EQ and it's fine now. The headphone still sounds great, not bloated, not distant, it's still lovely.

The pads are deep and really soft I like them, the cable is better than I expected (even if they use the generic Tin T2 connector). The original cable was unusable, a giant tangled mess.

I traded an used Sundara for the R70X and I'm happy with that, yes the Sundara is better in a direct comparison but I already own the Edition XS, the R70X fills a more unique roll as a light, easy to use headphone. Even with crazy impedance my V60 can drive them with volume steps to spare so they are now my 'portable' set.

1654652248769.png

1654652310991.png

1654652325139.png

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #2,302 of 2,669
It was impossible to use this headphone before but now they are much better, comfort is still not great (I've been spoiled by the giant Edition XS pads) but they are usable now. It just bothers me how the back and lower parts of the pad don't seal at all, they just hang lightly touching the back of my ears.

The headband is made of a metal that can be bent slightly to give a better seal. I have done it to my pair, to get a better seal on the lower part of my pads.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #2,303 of 2,669
The headband is made of a metal that can be bent slightly to give a better seal. I have done it to my pair, to get a better seal on the lower part of my pads.
I'm slowly trying to bend the metal to improve fit. It's not so simple because I already have good pressure I need to bend a specific part of the metal to make only the back part of the pads to turn a little for better seal.

Jun 18, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #2,306 of 2,669
I am planning to buy R70x and connect it to my Asus xonar essence STX headphone amp. Will that source be enough to drive this?
Maybe not to 100% potential, these are pretty power hungry.

But I would buy these anyway just to have and run them off the STX.....they are that good for the price.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #2,307 of 2,669
I am planning to buy R70x and connect it to my Asus xonar essence STX headphone amp. Will that source be enough to drive this?
Hm, all i can find about your soundcard is that it has 2Vrms output, but idk how to calculate wattage from that.

I've just purchased a R70X from a store today and they seem to be in a similar power-requirement as my Sennheiser 6XX and HFM Sundara.
Those two i can drive with my fiio btr5 in 3.5 SE output to full volume with some songs and thats in some cases not loud enough. The R70X behaves
similarly after an hour of listening. Mostly staying at around 50-55/60 volume.
the SE (unbalanced) from fiio btr5 is 80mW @ 32 Ohm which is barely enough. Switching to the BAL 2.5 with 220 mW @ 32Ohm apparently gets all of them loud enough, i rarely pass 40/60 volume.

Long story short, if you dont know the output power of your soundcard at a given impedance i think you wont be able to estimate how loud they will be.
do you have other headphones for comparison, or is it your first hifi can?

Ps: loving the sound of the R70X so far. Definitely sits in between the Sundara and the 6XX.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #2,308 of 2,669
Any comparison about ATH R70x with Sony MDR-1Am2 ?

I want midfi headphones to be use casually when on my desktop, a bit fun, with slight U shape tonality, have great bass (texture, depth, slam and punch but not over mid bass) and have great technicalities. Was downsizing my list of buy to these Meze 99 classic or neo, Sony MDR-1Am2, Hifiman Sundara (i scrapped out because of lack bass for me), Sony WH-1000 XM4, and finally read of goodness R70x)
Actually I bought the MDR-1Am2 already (on the way) because some said better in sound quality than Meze 99 and WH-1000XM4 but I couldn't find comparison with R70X. Based on FR graph, I scared R70x not enough sub bass for me (I dont have intention to use EQ). Budget was up to $300 or stretchable as long as I got the great bass (Sorry I'm very picky with bass quality), but lower price also better so I can save some money. Thanks in advance

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #2,309 of 2,669
Any comparison about ATH R70x with Sony MDR-1Am2 ?

I want midfi headphones to be use casually when on my desktop, a bit fun, with slight U shape tonality, have great bass (texture, depth, slam and punch but not over mid bass) and have great technicalities. Was downsizing my list of buy to these Meze 99 classic or neo, Sony MDR-1Am2, Hifiman Sundara (i scrapped out because of lack bass for me), Sony WH-1000 XM4, and finally read of goodness R70x)
Actually I bought the MDR-1Am2 already (on the way) because some said better in sound quality than Meze 99 and WH-1000XM4 but I couldn't find comparison with R70X. Based on FR graph, I scared R70x not enough sub bass for me (I dont have intention to use EQ). Budget was up to $300 or stretchable as long as I got the great bass (Sorry I'm very picky with bass quality), but lower price also better so I can save some money. Thanks in advance
The MDR-1AM2 isn't worth your time, and the R70X doesn't scale particularly well. I would still look at the AKG K371 for a closed back, or maybe the 1More H1707 Triple Driver Over-Ear. Another might be the Dan Clark x Drop Aeon Closed?

For open back, look at the HIFIMAN Edition XS, or maybe the 6XX if you want warmth instead of u-shape, and elite timbre instead of elite imaging. Another step up from both - bar soundstage width vs the Edition XS - might be the Nan-6 from Taobao, which offers some of the best bass and detail under $1000.

Lower bass response is just how open backs are, as trying to match closed back sub-bass levels would often lead to distortion issues, as they rely on enclosure resonance and conductance.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #2,310 of 2,669
Hey guys, I used to own an ATH R70x a few years ago, sold it... probably because of synergy issues with a low tier amp I had at the time. I have since had a significant amp upgrade, a monster custom tube amp with multiple gain settings. Would you recommend I still go with the R70x again, or does Audio Technica have any even more competent contenders at about the same price and performance I should consider (with similar sound signature)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back