Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,266 of 2,666
Hello there,
I am quite new here and I just want to share my little experience with my ATH - R70x. I have had them for nearly 3 weeks now and wear them every day. It was Philips X1S before R70x but since I got R70x. I found that listening to X1S is kind of exhausted. But one thing that I really need to replace is the stock cable and the new one is on the way. btw I also enjoy XD-05 Bal with opamp muses 8920 they go along well.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #2,267 of 2,666
Did anyone ever find replacement earpads that dont effect the sound signature ?
Received a link from AT for original in house pads but not impressed by the £41.00 price for 2 pads
£20 per pad ?!

Feb 27, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,268 of 2,666
I am listening on the Euforia and just put in a pair of WE421A power tubes. The result with the R70x is fantastic, so much better than playing through the ADI-2.

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #2,269 of 2,666
I didn't have a ton of time to research it but a lot of people recommended this headphone to me to compliment my collection (hd650, hd800, Sundara, Sash Tres, dt 1990). I have a big head and big ears so swapping earpads is nearly always a must, would this be a big problem or are there any earpads that are bigger that fit them and not ruin the sound signature too much? Does the headphone itself fit nicely with bigger heads?

Also, what would the price fluctuate between on a used pair in the EU?

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,270 of 2,666
I didn't have a ton of time to research it but a lot of people recommended this headphone to me to compliment my collection (hd650, hd800, Sundara, Sash Tres, dt 1990). I have a big head and big ears so swapping earpads is nearly always a must, would this be a big problem or are there any earpads that are bigger that fit them and not ruin the sound signature too much? Does the headphone itself fit nicely with bigger heads?

Also, what would the price fluctuate between on a used pair in the EU?
Should be sub €250, but I wouldn't recommend it for your collection. It's like a less detailed 650 with less convincing timbre, but you get better imaging and a wider soundstage... but you already have the HD 800 and the DT 1990 for those benefits, and with less caveats.

I'd sell your Sundara and look at something like the Edition XS or the Nan-6. The former if you're still looking for that bass and imaging kick compared to the 650, the latter if you just want to chase value for money (and have the amp for it).

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,271 of 2,666
Did anyone ever find replacement earpads that dont effect the sound signature ?
Received a link from AT for original in house pads but not impressed by the £41.00 price for 2 pads
£20 per pad ?!
I tried quite a few, and found that as long as you stick to a similar suede material, you can get away with different pads.

Curious if anyone has a recommendation for something better for classical? I will be recording chamber/organ/various ensembles and need something to do good stereo mixes on from a control room. I have largely been absent from these forums for a bit because I have been so content with the R70X, ER2SE, and modded DT770s. Basically everything covered.

But R70x just do not have the soundstage or imaging to trust a mix.

DT1990s seem like the obvious choice and good price point. Won't have to worry about them breaking being thrown in a bag, should work fine off my RME interface.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #2,272 of 2,666
Should be sub €250, but I wouldn't recommend it for your collection. It's like a less detailed 650 with less convincing timbre, but you get better imaging and a wider soundstage... but you already have the HD 800 and the DT 1990 for those benefits, and with less caveats.

I'd sell your Sundara and look at something like the Edition XS or the Nan-6. The former if you're still looking for that bass and imaging kick compared to the 650, the latter if you just want to chase value for money (and have the amp for it).
The sole reason I got my Sash Tres was because of all of the comparisons with high-end Audeze that made it look amazing for the price. You've basically just made me motivate the purchase of another headphone given its value for money when compared to the Susvara.

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #2,273 of 2,666
The sole reason I got my Sash Tres was because of all of the comparisons with high-end Audeze that made it look amazing for the price. You've basically just made me motivate the purchase of another headphone given its value for money when compared to the Susvara.
Tonality of the Sundara, but technical performance is just shy of the HE-6 SE, so not as wide or delicate.

Just as power hungry as both of them.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #2,274 of 2,666
Hi, does anyone has recommendations for which pads to replace? My stock one was flat after a few years of use and I need a replacement, thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #2,276 of 2,666
I bought replacement pads from audio technica i believe they were 8 dollars each.
Wow that was cheaper than I expected, gonna order some now, thanks!

Mar 30, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #2,279 of 2,666

Users who are viewing this thread

Back