Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Feb 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,576 of 2,669
May I ask which aspects of R70x do you prefer it over the HD600? Just curious as I'm sort of eyeing the R70x to upgrade from my HD650s (HD600 and HD650 have very similar sound signature from articles I've read at least so difference between them I would suppose is negligible at this time)

It just sounds more entertaining to me. The bass is much better and I find the rest of the spectrum to be clearer. I also find the R70X to be more comfortable.

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #1,577 of 2,669
Have there been comparisons between the R70x and the older versions of ATH-AD headphones? I have seen a lot of good things about the AD2000, but they're a bit hard to find. I'm wondering if the R70x may be a comparable choice?

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #1,578 of 2,669
Have there been comparisons between the R70x and the older versions of ATH-AD headphones? I have seen a lot of good things about the AD2000, but they're a bit hard to find. I'm wondering if the R70x may be a comparable choice?
R70X has a completely different sound sig from the ad series which are bright airy with focus on female vocals while the r70x is darker and bassier with equal focus on male and female vocals

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #1,579 of 2,669
R70X has a completely different sound sig from the ad series which are bright airy with focus on female vocals while the r70x is darker and bassier with equal focus on male and female vocals

Ah OK I see! Still quite interesting though, especially reading through this thread seems like a promising piece of gear.

I liked the positive and detailed comparison with DT-880, as it's the headphone I've owned for longest and can compare to the easiest.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,580 of 2,669
Hello everyone!
I recently bought an R70x. I need advice:
1. Did anyone try with Aune x7s?
2. I ordered the ebay Chinese pads, but also looking on the Brainwavs range, as I would need one which is thicker than the stock. I am getting confused, as you guys here wrote about the HM5 variant, Brainwaves site advises the xl round would fit (110mm outer dia), however for me the standard round seems the right size with 100 mm dia. Anyone can help? Did someone try any angled version on the R70x?
Thx!

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,581 of 2,669
I am getting a pair of R70x again after I sold my first pair 18 months ago. They should be here in a couple of days. It will be interesting to see what I think of them now.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,582 of 2,669
is it true? is it that fragile? i planning to get r70x and found this on youtube
Screenshot_2020-03-04-10-48-59-31.jpg

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,583 of 2,669
is it true? is it that fragile? i planning to get r70x and found this on youtubeScreenshot_2020-03-04-10-48-59-31.jpg
The part about the swivel losening after a few months is true but completely overblown. Ive abused my pair taking them to shops to use as a refence in the msr7 lether pouch and thrown into my bag and i have not noticed anything worrysome.

Also you can get replacement parts from audio technica or at least audio technica sea but you need to e mail them about it.

If you want to know how the r70x wears down over time just go to any shop that offers r70x and note whatever issues there are on their sample.

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,584 of 2,669
The part about the swivel losening after a few months is true but completely overblown. Ive abused my pair taking them to shops to use as a refence in the msr7 lether pouch and thrown into my bag and i have not noticed anything worrysome.

Also you can get replacement parts from audio technica or at least audio technica sea but you need to e mail them about it.

If you want to know how the r70x wears down over time just go to any shop that offers r70x and note whatever issues there are on their sample.
does it indicate that joint will break or broken in the future? does it effect comfortable when using?

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,585 of 2,669
does it indicate that joint will break or broken in the future? does it effect comfortable when using?
Nah its just the c clip losening. It happens to all audio technica with the slight swivel hinge and is nothing to worry about.

It doesnt affect comfort at all. The only issue i have is the headband being potentially overstratched for your head if you are buying used because bending the metal is a pain.

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #1,586 of 2,669
I got my R70X about 3 years ago - listen to them pretty often, twice or more weekly,
so far absolutely no issues with the way they feel structurally
Or any other way
BTW there's a small "Made in Japan" label on them, we all know (I guess)
that the quality of finished goods made there is generally very high

So maybe there are other manufacturing sites for the R70X where
the quality is more problematic? (No idea; just suggesting it as
a possibility)

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #1,587 of 2,669
is it true? is it that fragile? i planning to get r70x and found this on youtube
i can confrim there are loose problem with the join on the driver and the headband, it will loose just after 1month if u use it for everyday. but its not a big problem , or not at all.

i can say that the build quality of r70x is good, but the only problem of the quality is on the join, it's "bad", its all plastics and the construction/design is bad. i broke my first pair r70x just by accidentally hit the headphone with my foot on the bed (not too hard), and the join is broke. it caused by the driver rotate more than it should be, and some small part on the join is cracked. then i sold it cheap.
but if u use it safely, and store it safely, don't worry :D
I got my R70X about 3 years ago - listen to them pretty often, twice or more weekly,
so far absolutely no issues with the way they feel structurally
Or any other way
BTW there's a small "Made in Japan" label on them, we all know (I guess)
that the quality of finished goods made there is generally very high

So maybe there are other manufacturing sites for the R70X where
the quality is more problematic? (No idea; just suggesting it as
a possibility)
my first r70x was made in taiwan, after that accident , i got my new pair of r70x witch is made in japan. there is no different from build quality, sound, finishing etc, the difference is really just the "japan" label.

hope i give you guys infromations needed. sorry my bad english :D

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,588 of 2,669
i can confrim there are loose problem with the join on the driver and the headband, it will loose just after 1month if u use it for everyday. but its not a big problem , or not at all.

i can say that the build quality of r70x is good, but the only problem of the quality is on the join, it's "bad", its all plastics and the construction/design is bad. i broke my first pair r70x just by accidentally hit the headphone with my foot on the bed (not too hard), and the join is broke. it caused by the driver rotate more than it should be, and some small part on the join is cracked. then i sold it cheap.
but if u use it safely, and store it safely, don't worry :D

my first r70x was made in taiwan, after that accident , i got my new pair of r70x witch is made in japan. there is no different from build quality, sound, finishing etc, the difference is really just the "japan" label.

hope i give you guys infromations needed. sorry my bad english :D

Can't agree more the build quality on these.
Couldn't find replacement parts in my country tho, pretty bad CS.
Wish R70x's build could be better.

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,589 of 2,669

I have exactly the same problem with my R70X, the hinges started to loosen up only after few months of usage... I have to put them on my head by gripping them from the headband to prevent it getting worse. Not a dealbreaker but it really sucks that there doesnt seem to be any way to fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back