Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jul 7, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #976 of 2,669
  What about comparing Q701 to R70x (sensitivity)? I'm just a new guy to this domain...

Me too. I don't want to add any other DAC or signal processing unit to my setup. I'm considering Schiit Magni only because I'm afraid that my 18i8 can't drive R70x. But if I can as you said, I'll leave it alone because I love the simple setup. Just everything come from the same source...

And another thing: in the case 18i8 can drive them, should I buy R70x as another ref source if I've already got Q701?

Thank you!

I looked up the R70x on Audio Technica's website and they say "99dB". 

That's like a whole new level of misleading your customer.

But I don't think the R70x should be too hard to drive.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #978 of 2,669
  I looked up the R70x on Audio Technica's website and they say "99dB". 

That's like a whole new level of misleading your customer.

But I don't think the R70x should be too hard to drive.

Ok. That would be the positive info for me
biggrin.gif

I agree, they can be run out a laptop out if need be.

Another good sight
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #980 of 2,669
I'm having this problem which was posted in schitt thread

My Magni 2 Uber sounds nothing different than Fiio E10K lineout but louder with volume control.

My headphone is ATH R70X, when plugging my R70x to Dac/amp (E10K + Magni 2 Uber), R70x sounds nothing different than plugging to E10K lineout.

It's sounds like unamped R70x with slightly grainny/ sibilance upper range, the sound also slightly dry and unnatural.

I feel like the Magni 2 Uber has done nothing to my headphone except makes it louder.

I'm using an 220v to 110v converter to power the M2U's 110v adapter. Don't know if this is the problems? That the converter is not having enough power/voltage to make the Magni works propertly.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #983 of 2,669
Nice cable, I have OCC on mine, though not quite as high end. How did you get it to rotate flat? Also, have you tried other pads? I use http://www.nvx.com/xre100s-comfortmax-standard-cushions - more comfortable, spacious and the bass is also a bit better.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #984 of 2,669
First post on this thread. These headphones weren't initially on my radar at all, but recently had the opportunity to have an extended session with them at a friend's place. Powered by this ORB dac/amp unit - not a company I'm familiar with so not sure what the model name/number is - the R70x sounded really, really good. A lot better than I though it'd sound, for sure.

They seem to be the kind of headphones that don't appear to have any standout quality whatsoever, but somehow just end up being extremely relaxing for long listening sessions, even with more energetic music like electronic stuff. They also seem to be very forgiving of track quality, (even 320kbps mp3 podcasts/streams sounded quite decent), although they did scale up well with the higher bitrate stuff I tested as well. Not the type of headphone that'll wow you like a Fostex TH-XX/600/900 will with bass slam or like Audio Technica's own wood models with vocal presentation, but the R70x is just so unfatiguing in the long run that you don't seem to ever want to remove them. Not sure if any of these properties would be good for a mixing/monitoring/producing type headphone (I always figured you'd want ruthless and up-front sounding cans for that), but for a pleb enthusiast like me, they're golden.

Soundstage isn't the widest I've heard for headphones in this price range, but the imaging within the soundstage felt pretty accurate, for the most part. I read some articles and forum posts mentioning they were a bit light on bass, but to my ears, paired with that ORB unit, they conveyed just enough low-end heft. Obviously not DJ-headphone kind of bass slam, but not anemic by any means, even for tunes that have most of their meat down in the low frequencies. Ultra-low frequency (sub bass) content is another matter altogether, and this is one area I feel they don't quite measure up to some of the best headphones I've tried/owned, but most of those headphones are double the price of this, some even more. Another negative I detected was some graininess in the upper mid frequencies, though that didn't surface itself on every track I tested, so may well be an issue with the actual tracks and not the headphones. Would need more time with them to form a concrete opinion in that department.

Oh, they're also supremely comfortable. Not the most robust feeling kit in the world, but they're so light and the pads are so airy. I don't think I'd need to switch pads for my ear size, and those floating wingamajigs conform to my skull pretty well, way better than some of the audiophile-woodie Audio Technica models I've auditioned in the past, if memory serves. Cable is way too long for my liking though - great for listening on the couch or while walking around your studio or whatever, but for regular "desktop" listening, it's way more than what I need. Seeing how you get shorter and coiled cable variants in the box with some of Audio Technica's cheaper M series models, this seems a little skint for them.

Either way, definitely a headphone that's on my radar now.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #985 of 2,669
First post on this thread. These headphones weren't initially on my radar at all, but recently had the opportunity to have an extended session with them at a friend's place. Powered by this ORB dac/amp unit - not a company I'm familiar with so not sure what the model name/number is - the R70x sounded really, really good. A lot better than I though it'd sound, for sure.

They seem to be the kind of headphones that don't appear to have any standout quality whatsoever, but somehow just end up being extremely relaxing for long listening sessions, even with more energetic music like electronic stuff. They also seem to be very forgiving of track quality, (even 320kbps mp3 podcasts/streams sounded quite decent), although they did scale up well with the higher bitrate stuff I tested as well. Not the type of headphone that'll wow you like a Fostex TH-XX/600/900 will with bass slam or like Audio Technica's own wood models with vocal presentation, but the R70x is just so unfatiguing in the long run that you don't seem to ever want to remove them. Not sure if any of these properties would be good for a mixing/monitoring/producing type headphone (I always figured you'd want ruthless and up-front sounding cans for that), but for a pleb enthusiast like me, they're golden.

Soundstage isn't the widest I've heard for headphones in this price range, but the imaging within the soundstage felt pretty accurate, for the most part. I read some articles and forum posts mentioning they were a bit light on bass, but to my ears, paired with that ORB unit, they conveyed just enough low-end heft. Obviously not DJ-headphone kind of bass slam, but not anemic by any means, even for tunes that have most of their meat down in the low frequencies. Ultra-low frequency (sub bass) content is another matter altogether, and this is one area I feel they don't quite measure up to some of the best headphones I've tried/owned, but most of those headphones are double the price of this, some even more. Another negative I detected was some graininess in the upper mid frequencies, though that didn't surface itself on every track I tested, so may well be an issue with the actual tracks and not the headphones. Would need more time with them to form a concrete opinion in that department.

Oh, they're also supremely comfortable. Not the most robust feeling kit in the world, but they're so light and the pads are so airy. I don't think I'd need to switch pads for my ear size, and those floating wingamajigs conform to my skull pretty well, way better than some of the audiophile-woodie Audio Technica models I've auditioned in the past, if memory serves. Cable is way too long for my liking though - great for listening on the couch or while walking around your studio or whatever, but for regular "desktop" listening, it's way more than what I need. Seeing how you get shorter and coiled cable variants in the box with some of Audio Technica's cheaper M series models, this seems a little skint for them.

Either way, definitely a headphone that's on my radar now.

Glad you like it. Comfortable and tonally correct is what R70x is. As you said, not the kind of headphone that will give wow impression at first, but the one that will please the user in the long run.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #986 of 2,669

Glad you like it. Comfortable and tonally correct is what R70x is. As you said, not the kind of headphone that will give wow impression at first, but the one that will please the user in the long run.

I've heard people say the exact same thing about the HD600 for a long time. Too bad I have not auditioned the r70x yet.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #987 of 2,669
I recently purchased a pair of r70x's, and I have to agree with earfonia's praise. I love how they manage to be clear but never fatiguing; this is a headphone you can listen to for hours. Highly recommended if you want a neutral sound with absolutely no harsh treble.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #988 of 2,669
I recently purchased a pair of r70x's, and I have to agree with earfonia's praise. I love how they manage to be clear but never fatiguing; this is a headphone you can listen to for hours. Highly recommended if you want a neutral sound with absolutely no harsh treble.

Congrats on the purchase and this is indeed a special can. If you listen closely, this can occasionally renders sounds behind your head. It's really odd but equal parts wonderful.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #990 of 2,669
Their openings are a bit wider than stock pads, and at least an inch longer. Even with my "big head mod", removal of the plastic wings, and bending the headband as best possible, I need these ear pads to fully reach all the way down over my ears comfortably. The others reached, but snugly to capture the bottom of my ear inside. They are the same general measurements as Brainwavz HM5 (also, non-angled version) ear pads, only these are softer and more comfortable for me, and they also seem to retain more bass than HM5 pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back