Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Feb 3, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,516 of 2,669
To illustrate my point, listen to Whitney Houston's - Didn't We Almost Have It All.

Her vocals are presented in a way I have never felt before with cans. There is a silky, angelic tone that goes missing on every other headphone I have tried (and I have over 50). This silky angelic tone then blends perfectly with the lush piano/synthesizers. Even these notes seem to have more clarity, convey more emotion than they usually do.

Trust me when I say as someone who owns headphones that are over £1000...the tone, warmth and emotion these provide is unmatched. Music is all about emotion and soul, and they give me more of that than any other can I own.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #1,517 of 2,669
Well, after having these for nearly three months, I can confirm what an absolute gem of a can these are. Perhaps my favourite ever.

Do you ever get it when you listen to something with a certain headphone or other equipment and it just sounds richer? It possesses a soul and tone that can not be conveyed by any of your other gear? A tone that makes you feel more, digs deeper into your brain? Well, this is that headphone for me.

Every time I listen to these, I am amazed by their most amazing timbre and tone. Music seems to have more life, more body, more dynamical groove. It's really hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean.

In terms of sheer beauty of tone and musical soul, these can not be beaten for me. I will never get tired of hearing sweet piano tones , hi hats and violins on these. In fact, any instrument. They just have a huge SOUL.

My 2 cents.

Yes this headphone is totally underrated and overlooked by the community. I always come back to it even while owning more expensive cans. It hits a very sweet spot for me like what you described. It makes me enjoy my music collection.

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #1,518 of 2,669
Yes this headphone is totally underrated and overlooked by the community. I always come back to it even while owning more expensive cans. It hits a very sweet spot for me like what you described. It makes me enjoy my music collection.
It shines on depapepe,John mayer, and other acoustic instrument song for me.
I think it's underated due to its hi impedance

Feb 4, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #1,519 of 2,669
It shines on depapepe,John mayer, and other acoustic instrument song for me.
I think it's underated due to its hi impedance
The issue is that its not entry level because you already need a decently powered amp for the low end to sound good.
That being said, R70X may not have the best detail but it sure has one of the best overall sound signatures that I've heard till date.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,520 of 2,669
The issue is that its not entry level because you already need a decently powered amp for the low end to sound good.
That being said, R70X may not have the best detail but it sure has one of the best overall sound signatures that I've heard till date.
Yea, my amp had higher price than the cans itself lol

I think ,maybe 70x match with ifi Micro BL because of its bright and detailed sound
signature?
My xduoo XD-05 plus with original ak4493 op amp is okay , but swapping that with burson V5iD really helps the clarity :D

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,521 of 2,669

Not sure I wholly agree. Whilst of course you will get the best audio from a good amp, preferably a tube, I have powered these even off motherboard audio and they still sound fabulous. Despite being high ohm, they are not all that difficult to drive.

I did notice that the low end improved a smidgen with my Bottlehead Crack, but not THAT much. Nowhere near the noticeable improvement of the DT 880.

These are quite forgiving and not picky in my humble opinion

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,522 of 2,669
Not sure I wholly agree. Whilst of course you will get the best audio from a good amp, preferably a tube, I have powered these even off motherboard audio and they still sound fabulous. Despite being high ohm, they are not all that difficult to drive.

I did notice that the low end improved a smidgen with my Bottlehead Crack, but not THAT much. Nowhere near the noticeable improvement of the DT 880.

These are quite forgiving and not picky in my humble opinion
While I agree that they do sound good even out of a phone the crushed bass soundstage will be a deterent to many I think.
I need to hear the DT880 again. I don't remember a really noticeable difference unless you were using the 600ohm version.

I really need to find a tube amp that is generally clean and lifts the treble up. All the tube amps I've tried so fair has made the r70x overly warm.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,523 of 2,669
While I agree that they do sound good even out of a phone the crushed bass soundstage will be a deterent to many I think.
I need to hear the DT880 again. I don't remember a really noticeable difference unless you were using the 600ohm version.

DT 880 is a massive difference. Through motherboard audio they are very quiet and confused. Just sound muddled.
With a phone? Don't even bother.

Through a JDS Atom they were great but they really really shined through a Liquid Spark. Don't know why, but the highs mellowed nicely, and the bass had more thump. I found 880's 600ohm VERY difficult to drive.

These? Not really. Quite forgiving.

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,524 of 2,669
And I'll also add that these R70X's are the PERFECT sweet spot for my vintage NAD 7125 receiver, with it's high impedance jack. Vinyl has never sounded so good.

That's another thing I adore about these cans. They will pair with anything.
A phone? Quiet, but doable.
Motherboard? A okay.
Good solid state amp? Really great.
Tube Amp/vintage receiver?Absolute bliss

They are so versatile and forgiving but at the same time have that special something with tube setups.

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,525 of 2,669
At the risk of sounding snobby and boastful, I have purchased two spare pairs of these, on discount. I have been very upset before when cans are discontinued and I can no longer obtain them.

Yes, they are THAT good.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that they are this generations HD600. Think about it...extremely neutral/honest, high impedance, similar sound signature. I mean, can you think of any other cans in this price region with such a precise tonality and timbre? They are unrivalled. And I will just say, to me, these are much more satisfying than HD600'S..they have that little warmth and soul that the 600's didn't. But purely from a technical and engineering standpoint, I really think they are the successor to the HD600

They really are an underrated gem (by the average consumer..real audio people know how good they are haha)

They are totally unmatched in this price range.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,526 of 2,669
I dont see how its quiet on a phone. The R70x gets loud on most devices. Its a high sensitivity headphone after all.
Its just it sounds extremely boxed in like a closed back off a phone.

With reguards to the DT880 my experence is mostly with the 250ohm version. I agree that the 600ohm version will sound like a mess without power.

No one here will think you are snobby, after all we all like the R70x. Esp me that came from the HD600 and thought that the HD600 was not a good headphone that had a messy low end and shouty upper mid/trebble.

Feb 4, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,527 of 2,669
I dont see how its quiet on a phone. The R70x gets loud on most devices. Its a high sensitivity headphone after all.
Its just it sounds extremely boxed in like a closed back off a phone.

With reguards to the DT880 my experence is mostly with the 250ohm version. I agree that the 600ohm version will sound like a mess without power.

No one here will think you are snobby, after all we all like the R70x. Esp me that came from the HD600 and thought that the HD600 was not a good headphone that had a messy low end and shouty upper mid/trebble.

Depends on how loud you like your cans :dt880smile:. I probably listen to music at around 85db. On an Iphone I pretty much need to max it out, but it's doable.

I didn't like the HD600 either, tried it a couple of months back. It wasn't bad per say, but just sterile and lifeless. Then again, I have never liked Senn cans so it's hardly surprising.

When the R70x at £250 makes a Beyerdynamic T1 at £650-£700 sound wanting and mediocre, you know how much of a gem they are. Honestly, I sold the T1's and used the money to buy two pairs of these haha. Money well spent. I can honestly think of very few headphones that can eclipse these.

I have even used them for gaming. Now granted, the soundstage is a little small to be optimum, but the imaging is exquisite and the immersion is great.

There is just nothing that these cans don't excel at.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #1,528 of 2,669
Depends on how loud you like your cans :dt880smile:. I probably listen to music at around 85db. On an Iphone I pretty much need to max it out, but it's doable.

I didn't like the HD600 either, tried it a couple of months back. It wasn't bad per say, but just sterile and lifeless. Then again, I have never liked Senn cans so it's hardly surprising.

When the R70x at £250 makes a Beyerdynamic T1 at £650-£700 sound wanting and mediocre, you know how much of a gem they are. Honestly, I sold the T1's and used the money to buy two pairs of these haha. Money well spent. I can honestly think of very few headphones that can eclipse these.

I have even used them for gaming. Now granted, the soundstage is a little small to be optimum, but the imaging is exquisite and the immersion is great.

There is just nothing that these cans don't excel at.
What do you think 70x compared to hd650?
I already tried that headphone , I think that 70x win for the treble (paired with AK 1000sp),, the 650 way to sparkly, but maybe that's because of the ak1k tonality...

I don't have that ak1k and 650 , just tried that on store about 10 minutes only lol :D

So , I think that you have experienced many headphone, need ur thought about this :D thx

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,529 of 2,669
What do you think 70x compared to hd650?
I already tried that headphone , I think that 70x win for the treble (paired with AK 1000sp),, the 650 way to sparkly, but maybe that's because of the ak1k tonality...

I don't have that ak1k and 650 , just tried that on store about 10 minutes only lol :D

So , I think that you have experienced many headphone, need ur thought about this :D thx

R70x, no question.

The comparison to the 650 is probably a more similar one, as the 650's have a touch more low end than the 600's. However, I have never liked Senn cans. I have owned 599's which I found possibly the most dull and 'meh' headphones I have ever listened to, well, at least at a high-ish price point. Some people rave about them, but for me they were so bland and unimpressive. I have also had 280 Pro's, and while they isolate very well, again, I found the sound signature so sterile. I'm not necessarily talking from an 'accuracy' point of view here as some of my most beloved cans are fairly 'neutral'. But, the 'three blob' closed in stage, and overall tonality was so unappealing to me.

Many people say that the R70x has a very narrow soundstage....I could not disagree more. While they are not as wide as DT 880'S, Fidelio X2's and K712's, they are still perfectly wide and hit the perfect sweet spot for me. Narrow enough to be intimate, and not too wide as to be artificial.The R70x also has some of the best imaging I have ever heard in a headphone. Possibly the DT 1990's are the only ones to eclipse it in that regard.

Then we come on to tonality and timbre. In my opinion, no headphone I have ever tried does this better than R70x's. I am a studio engineer and the tonality of this can is just so precious and precise. Every note and instrument sounds how it should, with no colouration or distortion. Listening to music, I have never had another set of cans that give me so much soul, and emotion from my tunes. Their tone and timbre is unmatched, yes, even by the 600's and 650's.

Funnily enough, the only area of the 600/650's that I could say is superior to the R70x's, is the upper region. Not that the highs are bad on the R70x by any means, it is just slightly more resolving and crisp on the 600/650.

So, that tells you everything you need to know. The R70x is an absolute bargain of a headphone and is without a doubt, the best headphone in it's price range. Eclipsing even headphones I have heard approaching or surpassing £1000. Price point often has no bearing on quality with headphones, and I would much rather have 3 or 4 pairs of these than 1 pair of HD800's.

To me, they are the perfect headphone with the most exquisite soul and tone I have ever heard.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #1,530 of 2,669
R70x, no question.

The comparison to the 650 is probably a more similar one, as the 650's have a touch more low end than the 600's. However, I have never liked Senn cans. I have owned 599's which I found possibly the most dull and 'meh' headphones I have ever listened to, well, at least at a high-ish price point. Some people rave about them, but for me they were so bland and unimpressive. I have also had 280 Pro's, and while they isolate very well, again, I found the sound signature so sterile. I'm not necessarily talking from an 'accuracy' point of view here as some of my most beloved cans are fairly 'neutral'. But, the 'three blob' closed in stage, and overall tonality was so unappealing to me.

Many people say that the R70x has a very narrow soundstage....I could not disagree more. While they are not as wide as DT 880'S, Fidelio X2's and K712's, they are still perfectly wide and hit the perfect sweet spot for me. Narrow enough to be intimate, and not too wide as to be artificial.The R70x also has some of the best imaging I have ever heard in a headphone. Possibly the DT 1990's are the only ones to eclipse it in that regard.

Then we come on to tonality and timbre. In my opinion, no headphone I have ever tried does this better than R70x's. I am a studio engineer and the tonality of this can is just so precious and precise. Every note and instrument sounds how it should, with no colouration or distortion. Listening to music, I have never had another set of cans that give me so much soul, and emotion from my tunes. Their tone and timbre is unmatched, yes, even by the 600's and 650's.

Funnily enough, the only area of the 600/650's that I could say is superior to the R70x's, is the upper region. Not that the highs are bad on the R70x by any means, it is just slightly more resolving and crisp on the 600/650.

So, that tells you everything you need to know. The R70x is an absolute bargain of a headphone and is without a doubt, the best headphone in it's price range. Eclipsing even headphones I have heard approaching or surpassing £1000. Price point often has no bearing on quality with headphones, and I would much rather have 3 or 4 pairs of these than 1 pair of HD800's.

To me, they are the perfect headphone with the most exquisite soul and tone I have ever heard.

Yeah I was almost discouraged to even audition the R70x by reading popular reviews (youtube and other sites) that its soundstage is narrow, which after testing in store and using it for a while now has been untrue. And I own the Beyer T1.2, which has a quite fantastic soundstage. So folks, just give this headphone a try and see it for yourself. At this price range for this good of a headphone, definitely a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back