Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,501 of 2,669
Interesting I really need to try it out with tube amps myself. Personally I find the K5 pro good enough as everything becomes really spacious with good instrument separation.

I can only imagine how much more spacious it would sound. On the same level as the lower end AD line spacious?

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,502 of 2,669
I just grab a R70x today. Audio Technica is offering 10% discount around Chinese New Year so too good an opportunity to miss out on a great headphone! Very happy!

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,503 of 2,669
Interesting I really need to try it out with tube amps myself. Personally I find the K5 pro good enough as everything becomes really spacious with good instrument separation.

I can only imagine how much more spacious it would sound. On the same level as the lower end AD line spacious?

I bought the R70x in Audio Technica Singapore. I paired it with IFI iDSD BL and it sounds fantastic. I too want to try it with tube amp when I have a chance later on. Probably will invest in a decent tube next for this and my Beyer T1.2 as well.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,504 of 2,669
I bought the R70x in Audio Technica Singapore. I paired it with IFI iDSD BL and it sounds fantastic. I too want to try it with tube amp when I have a chance later on. Probably will invest in a decent tube next for this and my Beyer T1.2 as well.
Good to know. Well even with full price the R70X is so much cheaper in singapore than ordering form amazon US.

Did you try straight out of your mobile device? The R70X bass is the only headphone I know so far where scaling really present. Interesting how it sounds great out of low power devices as well though.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,505 of 2,669
Good to know. Well even with full price the R70X is so much cheaper in singapore than ordering form amazon US.

Did you try straight out of your mobile device? The R70X bass is the only headphone I know so far where scaling really present. Interesting how it sounds great out of low power devices as well though.

Phone can't handle this one. I always bring my IFI iDSD BL along to test headphones. The audio technica in Funan has nice amps for customers to plug their own sources in too.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,506 of 2,669

Nope , phone can't drive this headphone. It's loud enough, but lack of bass and treble (so much)

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #1,507 of 2,669
I had a listen on my phone again and you are right, the slam isn't pressent. The bass still digs deep into subbass rumble.
Never have had a issue with trebble extention on the r70x, its always the bass that is a greedy boy wanting all that power.

Still I say it sounds nice coming out of the phone jack.

With regards to the shure 1540 pads, I'm not sure if I'm willing to shell out pads that cost 1/3 that of the headphone given that I can wear the r70x with defult pads for hours. That being said they look real nice.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #1,509 of 2,669
Hi bro , need ur advice.

Which better ifi micro idsd silver vs xduoo XD-05 plus (burson v5Di) for r70x?

I found idsd used for the same price. But it's an old things right?

Ifi IDSD with R70x is a fantastic combo, but I recommend the Black Label over the silver one.

I recently purchased the XDuoo XD-05 plus, plenty of power. Or try the Fiio A5. XDduoo is better imo.

How's the Xduoo XD 05 plus? I have the ifi iDSD BL but I envy the portability of that one, so I might grab one when the opportunity comes.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,510 of 2,669
Ifi IDSD with R70x is a fantastic combo, but I recommend the Black Label over the silver one.

How's the Xduoo XD 05 plus? I have the ifi iDSD BL but I envy the portability of that one, so I might grab one when the opportunity comes.
Yeah , but idsd bl isn't in my budget range buddy :wink:

I'm confused between that two... XD 05 plus have good reputation on all reviews. But ifi micro idsd is famous for the sound quality..

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,512 of 2,669

Already got mine (XD 05 plus) , it drives my r70x well. But I think it's need a little treble improvement and clarity. I will try to switch it wih burson v5iD opamp.
I Still remember how good its paired with AK SP1000, the clarity and treble was superb :D

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,513 of 2,669
Got a chance to listen to the R70X on the Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII

At least on stock tubes while the soundstage did increase the bass seemed to be equally dispersed out making a overdamped slam feeling.
I think I'll stick to solid state for now.

Btw if anyone has the elegia as well care to chip in on how it sounds relative to the r70x?

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,514 of 2,669
Got a chance to listen to the R70X on the Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII

At least on stock tubes while the soundstage did increase the bass seemed to be equally dispersed out making a overdamped slam feeling.
I think I'll stick to solid state for now.

Btw if anyone has the elegia as well care to chip in on how it sounds relative to the r70x?

I tried the elegia briefly, and I remembered not liking the bass compared to the R70x. I might be biased cuz the R70x paired better with my other gears.

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,515 of 2,669
Well, after having these for nearly three months, I can confirm what an absolute gem of a can these are. Perhaps my favourite ever.

Do you ever get it when you listen to something with a certain headphone or other equipment and it just sounds richer? It possesses a soul and tone that can not be conveyed by any of your other gear? A tone that makes you feel more, digs deeper into your brain? Well, this is that headphone for me.

Every time I listen to these, I am amazed by their most amazing timbre and tone. Music seems to have more life, more body, more dynamical groove. It's really hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean.

In terms of sheer beauty of tone and musical soul, these can not be beaten for me. I will never get tired of hearing sweet piano tones , hi hats and violins on these. In fact, any instrument. They just have a huge SOUL.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back