Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions
May 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #136 of 2,666
I have a pair on order as well. Looking forward to it!

May 19, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #137 of 2,666

Yes... I use the iFi micro iDSD almost exclusively, as the DAC section in it is just beautiful sounding.  Initially the main reason I even purchased the R70x was due to earfonia recommending them for use with the micro.  This the only headphone I have heard that makes the amplifier section in the micro listenable for longer periods without sonic discomfort.  I also find myself now using the R70x more than my Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm for most types music. 

The only time I might insert the DT880 is when I want to differentiate the smallest inner detail in some parts of a song, or when listening to multiple remasters of a specific album to determine which one is least sibilant (closer to the original release).  This is NOT to say the R70x is lacking in detail. It is just a trade off between musicality and surgical dissection.  I have yet to hear a headphone that can do both without causing ear fatigue.

I mainly listen to headphones through a Marantz PM6005 integrated while at home.  This unit has a separate fully discrete headphone amplifier that actually sounds wonderful with any headphone I have connected to it.  I would characterize this headphone amplifier as having a full rich and easy, yet dynamic sound.  With the R70x using the Marantz I can leave the bass and treble controls flat, with the DT880 I needed to increase the bass by about 5db to sound tonally balanced.

The Marantz also has a very capable built in 24/192khz DAC that for PCM sounds very close to the micro.  I should also mention that the Marantz DAC only has SPDIF and optical connectivity, so a converter needs to be purchased if connecting it to your computer USB port.

Just curious, how far % wise do you have to move the volume dial on the marantz and IFI for it to reach your comfortable limit? The reason i ask is bc i plugged these phones into my $1200 peach tree nova125 which also has its own dac/headphone amp (but no controls, gain switch etc), but i have to basically max out the volume on it for it to be at my max comfortable level. It is amazing with regular speakers. I just wonder how good a headphone amp it is, compared to dedicated headphone amps. Whered you buy the IFI?

May 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #138 of 2,666

Just curious, how far % wise do you have to move the volume dial on the marantz and IFI for it to reach your comfortable limit? The reason i ask is bc i plugged these phones into my $1200 peach tree nova125 which also has its own dac/headphone amp (but no controls, gain switch etc), but i have to basically max out the volume on it for it to be at my max comfortable level. It is amazing with regular speakers. I just wonder how good a headphone amp it is, compared to dedicated headphone amps. Whered you buy the IFI?

Your headphone specs can be seen here, if the SE version has the same specs for the headphones as your standard version.  It shows the power, but it does not include the Voltage specs.

May 19, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #139 of 2,666

I can't speak about your peach tree nova other than reading good reviews.  What headphones are you using with it?

The Marantz PM6005 headphone amp section is actually quite powerful.  I find my comfortable listening level is around the 10 o'clock position regardless of what headphone is plugged in. This is likely attributed to the high amount of current available from it's power supply and a robust buffer stage.

The headphone amp in the iFi has three power settings and an attenuation switch to compensate for different headphone impedance/sensitivities, and will drive with ease pretty much any headphone.  This seems to come at a cost however as the sound can be a bit bright and strident.  The R70x is the only headphone thus far that really seems to tame this signature.

There are many retailers that sell iFi products around the world.  In the United states I would highly recommend using Music Direct.  Their customer service and return policy is excellent. 

May 20, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #142 of 2,666
Once R70x getting popularity, most probably there will be shorter 3rd party cables for it. Just monitor Lunashop, they have many unique DIY cables.

Am counting on this happening...

May 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #143 of 2,666
My R70x arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do much listening (right now I'm running bass-heavy music through it at high volume, but not on my head).

I can certainly confirm other points that have been already made:

* They are really light and very comfortable
* The L/R markings are very close to invisible. @earfonia  did a great job photographing it, because that photo is WAY clearer that it looks to my eye. This is definitely annoying.

They sound really good right out of the box. I can't wait to see real measurements on these because they sound very flat in terms of FR. 

I'm going to let them run overnight and then spend some more time with them and post something of a review—not as comprehensive as the one from @earfonia because that was a tour de force, but at least some impressions from another source, because different people have different preferences.

May 21, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #144 of 2,666
My R70x arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do much listening (right now I'm running bass-heavy music through it at high volume, but not on my head).

I can certainly confirm other points that have been already made:

* They are really light and very comfortable
* The L/R markings are very close to invisible. @earfonia
  did a great job photographing it, because that photo is WAY clearer that it looks to my eye. This is definitely annoying.

They sound really good right out of the box. I can't wait to see real measurements on these because they sound very flat in terms of FR. 

I'm going to let them run overnight and then spend some more time with them and post something of a review—not as comprehensive as the one from @earfonia
because that was a tour de force, but at least some impressions from another source, because different people have different preferences.

Nice!
Your feedback and impressions will help Head-fiers to understand R70x sound characteristic better.

As you said different people have different preferences, therefore the more feedback the better.

Also please mention the amplifier / source that you use. Though R70x might sounds not difficult to drive, but the sound characteristic of the amplifier is actually plays a huge part on the end result. Beside individual preferences, people might like it or not, depending on the DAC & amplifier that drive it.

May 21, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #145 of 2,666
got them on tuesday.
seems to be a perfect match to me in combination with a pioneer dv-565a, smyth realizer and corda jazz.
i can confirm earlier impressions. flat and smooth but still very musical. the reproduction of vocals is just superb. the tonality leds to a great sense of realism and suprising moments due to soundstage depending on the record. 
transparency-wise i have no complaints, but maybe that is a part which could be improved. but i guess the smooth character would be decreased then.   
the only complaint i have is ... surprise surprise ... the small earpads. after about 1 hour of constant use i got stitches on the left side.
i will try how much a phat-pad-mod will help on the weekend. i wonder if there are fitting earpads from other manufacturers? if the phat pad wont help much i will try to put beyerdynamic velour pads on it.
if i find a way to solve the earpad issue these are the most comfortable headphones i've worn. very light, for my headshape and size much improved fit/clamp of the wing system compared to other ats. of course the wingsystem itself is a blessing for every person like me struggling with very sensible top head area.

May 22, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #146 of 2,666
Agree on the vocals being very impressive on these. That  is what stood out compared to the x2 and caused me to send the x2 back. Too bad because i loved the x2 ear cups, headband etc, form factor. Just the vocals seemed recessed

May 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #147 of 2,666
  Agree on the vocals being very impressive on these. That  is what stood out compared to the x2 and caused me to send the x2 back. Too bad because i loved the x2 ear cups, headband etc, form factor. Just the vocals seemed recessed

Could You elaborate further the difference between R70x and Fidelio X2?
Thanks!

May 23, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #148 of 2,666
I got the ATH-R70x last week and my initial impressions are that they are incredibly easy to listen to and respond well to all my preferred genres which is pop and rock from the 70’s to now.

I mainly listen to Spotify Premium from a Macbook Pro using the optical output to a Schiit Magni/Modi stack. It’s a great match due to the forward sound of the amp/dac and it helps tame the lower register while giving the highs a bit of sparkle. 

A quick listen to the same setup using an Audioengine D1 instead of the Schiit was less successful and produced too warm a sound with not enough detail. The imaging also suffered and it was clear that the little Audioengine was not up to the task of driving them properly.

May 23, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #149 of 2,666

Could You elaborate further the difference between R70x and Fidelio X2?
Thanks!

The x2 are heavier but much studier and better built. Even though r70 are feather light, i like the form factor of x2 better. More depth in the ear cups too. Sound wise i would have loved the x2 if i didnt hear the r70 back to back. Im no audiophile so this is simplstic, but x2 wins on bass but the r70s has more clarity and vocals/instruments were cleaner and seemed more up front. Its like the r70 is a bit higher resolution... X2 vocals and instruments seemed to be pushed into the background a bit. I think its more that the clarity of the r70 stands out more than the x2 being muddy. i recall the r70 had clearer seperation as well. It was just a clear notch above the x2's except for low end punch. r70s pretty weak in that area

May 23, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #150 of 2,666
  I got the ATH-R70x last week and my initial impressions are that they are incredibly easy to listen to and respond well to all my preferred genres which is pop and rock from the 70’s to now.

I mainly listen to Spotify Premium from a Macbook Pro using the optical output to a Schiit Magni/Modi stack. It’s a great match due to the forward sound of the amp/dac and it helps tame the lower register while giving the highs a bit of sparkle. 

A quick listen to the same setup using an Audioengine D1 instead of the Schiit was less successful and produced too warm a sound with not enough detail. The imaging also suffered and it was clear that the little Audioengine was not up to the task of driving them properly.

Right! Warm amp is not a good match for R70x.

The x2 are heavier but much studier and better built. Even though r70 are feather light, i like the form factor of x2 better. More depth in the ear cups too. Sound wise i would have loved the x2 if i didnt hear the r70 back to back. Im no audiophile so this is simplstic, but x2 wins on bass but the r70s has more clarity and vocals/instruments were cleaner and seemed more up front. Its like the r70 is a bit higher resolution... X2 vocals and instruments seemed to be pushed into the background a bit. I think its more that the clarity of the r70 stands out more than the x2 being muddy. i recall the r70 had clearer seperation as well. It was just a clear notch above the x2's except for low end punch. r70s pretty weak in that area

Noted, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back